Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

will ammo prices ever drop back down?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by MichaelJ, Apr 6, 2012.

1. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Vancouver, WA Member

I know none of you can tell the future but I mean more of a history repeats itself type thing. I know since its an election year that theres an ammo grabbing frenzy but theres also inflation. Can we expect prices to drop a little in a year or two or do you think buying at these prices now is the way to go? Thanks.

2. hatchj

hatchj Milwaukie, OR Member

Personally I wouldn't expect them to drop much if any at all. Now...It wouldn't surprise me if they went up around election time.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

It is like gas. It will keep going up. It will come back down a little then go back up.

Fuel was $4/gal, then it went down to high $3, then down to $3 so that was looking good. Month later it is over $4.......

4. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

anyone who was remotely into this site or in to shooting back in 2008 should have seen this coming & made purchases in the past 2 years I hope.

5. MichaelJ

Yea I was just kind of getting into it. Only heavily this past 6 months. Walmart just said their warehouse is out of 100 round federal 9mm. Looks like im ordering online

6. jdub75

I hear ya. I was just getting back into things back in 08 after a long hiatus. I made it my mission to never be without ammo again since! :)

7. jdub75

Dont rule out Bimart, esp when they have sales.

8. MichaelJ

Been going there lately and grabbing .22 . 9mm looked to be $14 per 50 box but wasnt on sale. Ill keep my eyes open though

9. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

there are still decent prices out there. 500rd bricks for $14.50.... 9mm for $10.99....

10. MichaelJ

I'm going to have to look harder than. Cheapest .22 I've seen is 15.99 for $500 & I thought walmarts 50 rnd 9mm raised in price...maybe not though..appreciate the feedback from everyone

11. MichaelJ

Maybe I was just thinking the 10.99 per 50 was more per 100 & they didn't go up. Wm .22 has gone up though

12. MichaelJ

*$2 more .. sorry posting with my phone

13. DEADTIME

DEADTIME Coeur D alene Active Member

Probably not, you are seeing the effects of trickle down poverty, massive printing of cash, and supply/demand. I would suggest reloading as a nice skill set and shooting cheaper ammo but the cost is only going to rise.

14. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

I think we will never see the ammo prices of 6 years ago or even close to that when wolf 7.62x39 was $89 per 1000 .22 was under $10 for a brick of 500 and hunting ammo such as Rem 30.06 was under $10 a box

I think the current prices are going to be the norm for quite a while and if no one freaks out it will probably stay the same maybe even go down a just a little.

part of it is inflation cost of brass, metal, lead, even gas (shipping)
    another thing is demand is still high just because there are more shooters . ( but cost i would think has cut down mag dumps as least for me)

but i think the biggest factor is the ammo companies saw what people were willing to pay for ammo during the shortage and knowing that they know they can charge more.

plus with drying suplus ammo is going to put a strain on non surplus ammo so demand for it will rise and supply in demand comes into play.

I am sure there will be fluctuations due to supply and demand .

Its probably going to go up again around election and then either up or back down depending on who gets elected what the Elected President decides to do.

15. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

The easy answer to you thread title question is no,they will not "drop back down" They may go down a little but there will,most likely, not be any dropping of prices on anything.

16. Spadkarma

Spadkarma South Lake Whatcom Member

I got a letter from ATK today. Not looking like they are reducing prices. This is from "Gun Mart Blog"(Google it) ATK is telling their distributors that prices are going up between 5-15% depending on the product. The ATK price increase will take effect on May 1. ATK ammunition companies include CCI, Speer and Federal.

17. johnboy

johnboy Hillsboro Member

Don't think they will drop. Can just stock up as you can and load your own. Can't have too much.

18. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

Might go up and down from normal/set price, but overall price will not go down.

19. MichaelJ

Thanks for the info. Walmarts federal is now 11.99 per 50 & was told the 100 rds are out even in the warehouse. Going to order some online. What's reloading cost generally after all the tools (9mm)?

20. PDXoriginal

PDXoriginal PNW Well-Known Member

shooting as a hobby is at an all time high, combined with with a election year and commodity prices, we won't see ammo prices lower.