JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looks to me like a Douglas squirrel. Cute. Love our native squirrels. Hate the invasive squirrrels that were introduced on purpose and now number in the millions in Pdx alone and outcompete and displace our native squirrels. They also do a lot of damage, have been getting bamboo to grow for years and this time of year they will come and eat every single bamboo shoot if you let them. Killed four of them this morning. 4 shots with PCP air pistol, 4 squirrels that dropped like a stone.

OR squirrel guide fyi:

This year has been pretty bad, the hay is growing and they hide.
making it hard to get them, they keep coming out at night and get in the Garden.
My son this week has been trying to get a few but been hard to get too
Seems every few years we get a heavy invasion of the ground squirrels.
My son uses a 30.06 for them. ( Joke ) usually his air rifle or 22lr.
I am hoping this weekend I can stay up and try and catch some. The holes are getting bad.
And we should be adding cattle this summer and holes and cattle do not mix. And earlier it injured a horse.
Like tree squirrels, they get a pass. Not the ground ones.

This year has been pretty bad, the hay is growing and they hide.
making it hard to get them, they keep coming out at night and get in the Garden.
My son this week has been trying to get a few but been hard to get too
Seems every few years we get a heavy invasion of the ground squirrels.
My son uses a 30.06 for them. ( Joke ) usually his air rifle or 22lr.
I am hoping this weekend I can stay up and try and catch some. The holes are getting bad.
And we should be adding cattle this summer and holes and cattle do not mix. And earlier it injured a horse.
Like tree squirrels, they get a pass. Not the ground ones.
Fwiw when I get lazy I use the hav a hart traps with peanut butter. Works excellent for tree squirrels. I assume for ground squirrels too but have never tried for those.

96F8106F-E568-471B-BF64-1D9067C3D0B2.png

Fwiw when I get lazy I use the hav a hart traps with peanut butter. Works excellent for tree squirrels. I assume for ground squirrels too but have never tried for those.

View attachment 1420385
That is actually a thought though. I mean there is a certain amount of the hunt and using skills to get them.
But sometimes you are so busy. Who has time to sit on the porch and try and get a snip at one.
There is 20 acres, but they seem to focus near the house and surrounding. I may hit up the coop and look for a couple traps.
Thanks for the idea.

Last Edited:
Eagle stealing dog video. Not sure if this video is real and also not sure how to post video outside of Instagram. I'm not on Instagram and it let me watch it one time only.

Eagle stealing dog video. Not sure if this video is real and also not sure how to post video outside of Instagram. I'm not on Instagram and it let me watch it one time only.

There's some fat lady in bunny slippers wandering around her back yard wondering, "Now where can Fluffy be this time...?""

I would have expected the dog to be kicking more. Maybe it was in shock or talons were cutting off circulation...

elsie

I would have expected the dog to be kicking more. Maybe it was in shock or talons were cutting off circulation...

elsie
Or? Kicking like crazy when you've been hoisted 40'- 50'-60' off the ground, and are moving at speed, held up only by the loose skin on your back/neck? Who's to say?

Ever flew into Alaska via small plane, the eagles up there are everywhere, like pidgin, crow, or, seagulls, some fatty steps off the plane and sets fluffy on the deck to take a wizz and BAM, the eagles swoop in and grab dinner! Seen it happen several times, they actually had to put up warning signs to stop idiots from loosing their dogs!
Same with the Bear Sanctuary's down around Anchorage and Valdez, don't get out of the car except in designated spots, don't walk off the fenced path, and DONT bring fluffy along, it will end up as bear poop!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top