JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yup, and I'd prefer that it changed it's diet to pigeons, scrub jays, and starlings soon.
Those animals are just an opportunity to work on your trigger control.

9AD487CD-AA75-45A1-9A67-B8CA73B19F71.jpeg

Yup, and I'd prefer that it changed it's diet to pigeons, scrub jays, and starlings soon.
I can't hate the scrub jays. We have a good relationship with a pair for going on four years. what we've determined to be the female "Jesse" comes to hand for peanuts. She'll hop around in a well groomed maple tree in front of the front widow by the door, sit on the deck near the slider and rap on the wood pile or stand on the deck railing with her neck stretched out so she can see us at the kitchen sink, to get our attention. Stick you hand out the door with a peanut in it and she'll come and get it. The male, Jerry, just sits back aways and waits 'till we set the peanut on something for him to get.

Starlings are the devil. But they'll scream in pain for a bit if you hit them just right with a pellet.

My thing is with Crows........................................
Good thing or bad thing? We've had the same crow pair, be going on for four years. They alert me when there's a cat in the yard. They talk to me to let me know they're there. The one we believe to be the larger(female) sits just out side where the jays come for peanuts, and eats 'em right there 10' out from the slider. There's three of them. One is their young from summer before last. They protect our yard from other crows. The female follows Wifey to work, which is kitty corner across the street, and sits by her when she's on lunch and breaks. Less than 6' away. She keeps peanuts with her. I've worked on keeping them off the lines above the car and they've come to respect that for the most part.
those bird some hate are batter to have around than most of the people that live in this neighborhood. More open and friendly, that's for sure.

I have lost 3 native bird nests to crows in the last few years. And my yard is only one of thousands of course. They scope out where a nest is and then disappear. Then they return on the day the babies are the fattest, right before they fledge, at which time they eat them all in seconds.

We have a huge crow overpopulation problem in Portland and the city even spends many thousands on hiring professional hawk managers that use hawks to keep them from depositing too much poop on businesses. Prior to that businesses were so desperate they did mass crow poisonings on their own.

Robin nest that was wiped out by crows:
C31306C2-79A0-47F8-9D2D-A8373A1796D9.jpeg

I can't hate the scrub jays. We have a good relationship with a pair for going on four years. what we've determined to be the female "Jesse" comes to hand for peanuts. She'll hop around in a well groomed maple tree in front of the front widow by the door, sit on the deck near the slider and rap on the wood pile or stand on the deck railing with her neck stretched out so she can see us at the kitchen sink, to get our attention. Stick you hand out the door with a peanut in it and she'll come and get it. The male, Jerry, just sits back aways and waits 'till we set the peanut on something for him to get.

Starlings are the devil. But they'll scream in pain for a bit if you hit them just right with a pellet.

Good thing or bad thing? We've had the same crow pair, be going on for four years. They alert me when there's a cat in the yard. They talk to me to let me know they're there. The one we believe to be the larger(female) sits just out side where the jays come for peanuts, and eats 'em right there 10' out from the slider. There's three of them. One is their young from summer before last. They protect our yard from other crows. The female follows Wifey to work, which is kitty corner across the street, and sits by her when she's on lunch and breaks. Less than 6' away. She keeps peanuts with her. I've worked on keeping them off the lines above the car and they've come to respect that for the most part.
those bird some hate are batter to have around than most of the people that live in this neighborhood. More open and friendly, that's for sure.
Crows are land based Seaguls. They are the inland flying pig! They eat anything and everything. Destroy garbage cans trying to get to food scraps. Not sure why but they remind me of the homeless plaque the country is dealing with. So yeah, it's a bad thing. Gammo "Whisper" .177 pellet rifle and a decent scope.

Crows are land based Seaguls. They are the inland flying pig! They eat anything and everything. Destroy garbage cans trying to get to food scraps. Not sure why but they remind me of the homeless plaque the country is dealing with. So yeah, it's a bad thing. Gammo "Whisper" .177 pellet rifle and a decent scope.
A friend told me about a cool device to attract crows for decimation. Apparently they can't stand to see a wounded crow and mass from all around anytime they see one. He took a dead crow and tied fishing line to its leg and hung it upside down. Other end was attached to a sawzall to make motion so that it looked like a wounded crow flopping around caught in a wire or something. He claimed it brought in crows by the hundreds.

Crows at natural population sizes are a part of a healthy ecosystem but here they are just like rats with huge overpopulation and do an incredible amount of damage to native bird populations not to mention the other problems like inches of bird poop when thousands of them mass-roost somewhere.

Last Edited:
A friend told me about a cool device to attract crows for decimation. Apparently they can't stand to see a wounded crow and mass from all around anytime they see one. He took a dead crow and tied fishing line to its leg and hung it upside down. Other end was attached to a sawzall to make motion so that it looked like a wounded crow flopping around caught in a wire or something. He claimed it brought in crows by the hundreds.
I believe it. I heard a story about a guy killing a crow and just like you said. Every Crow in the area knew one just died and they flocked to the dead bird and scwaucked for about an hour. In all honesty they are very intelligent and they all have some sort of mental connection. The friend that told me the story also had styro foam Crow decoys and and Owl decoy. He put the Owl out and made it look like the Crows were advancing or surrounding the Owl. I guess it worked.

These darn things stroll through my pasture at least once a week. If I'm lucky, they'll only partially take down a fence. :rolleyes:
View attachment 1110021
My dad used to live in Manzanita and it was not uncommon to wake up and find a herd of 50-100 or so Elk standing in driveways, lawns and the street. He was especially fond of them walking across his putting green and sinking up to their ankles...lol

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top