JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ah, totally different continent and different color pattern. Probably related gene wise.
Yea downies are neat! We normally only have the odd male or female in the yard but this spring we had a pair here everyday so they must have had a nest nearby.

Ive been surprised at the # of birds in urban Portland. We didn't have that many until someone cleared out all the feral cats but now there are a lot. So far this year I've seen in the yard: downies, hermit thrush, black headed grosbeak, rufous sided towhee, vireo, robin, varied thrush, bewicks wren, ruby crowned kinglet, anna's hummingird, cooper's hawk, great horn owl (heard it only did not see), yellow rumped wrbler, golden crown sparrow, song sparrow, cedar waxwing, goldfinch, house finch, western tanager, black capped chickadee, dark eyed junco, bushtit, flicker, steller Jay, scrub Jay, starling, crow; and above but not in yard: swallows, red tailed hawk. I prob. have pics of all if you are curious about what one looks like.
Downie female and black headed grossbeak from a couple weeks ago
_DSC9510_00001.jpg
small-5.jpg

Last Edited:
Yea downies are neat! We normally only have the odd male or female in the yard but this spring we had a pair here everyday so they must have had a nest nearby.

Ive been surprised at the # of birds in urban Portland. We didn't have that many until someone cleared out all the feral cats but now there are a lot. So far this year I've seen in the yard: downies, hermit thrush, black headed grosbeak, rufous sided towhee, vireo, robin, varied thrush, bewicks wren, ruby crowned kinglet, anna's hummingird, cooper's hawk, great horn owl (heard it only did not see), yellow rumped wrbler, golden crown sparrow, song sparrow, cedar waxwing, goldfinch, house finch, western tanager, black capped chickadee, dark eyed junco, bushtit, flicker, steller Jay, scrub Jay, starling, crow; and above but not in yard: swallows, red tailed hawk. I prob. have pics of all if you are curious about what one looks like.
Downie female and black headed grossbeak from a couple weeks ago
View attachment 891892
View attachment 891895
Now that you mention, them, I've seen all those in my yard here just south of the airport a couple/three miles. You forgot Red Breasted Nuthatch! I would presume if you've had all those others, you've had the nuthatch too!

First time I saw a Ruby Crowned Kinglet when I was tidying up the dogwood the in the front yard. Not even ten feet from me it landed on the suet cage. I held still, and wondering what it was. Then it flashed that red crown! I had to look it up. It was coming by for awhile, then gone. Probably up into the foothills of the cascades.

All the Junco's leave at the same time over a couple of days once it gets warm enough, for the mountains. I usually have a pair that stay here and nest. Better eating without so much work?

We're feeding a family of crows, for the third year. First year, one came out of the nest early and was doing okay, then ended up dead on the front lawn.. Last year "Mac" and "Maxine" raised two young to adulthood. As a matter of fact I got to witness the process of Maxine kicking their but out of the area, literally, attacked with feathers flying. It was time to start nesting I figure. They still come around I believe, but Maxine puffs up and lets 'em know they'd better get out of the yard. I figure they've got their babies in the nest now. It was very interesting watching the two try to teach their you to feed themselves.

Now that you mention, them, I've seen all those in my yard here just south of the airport a couple/three miles. You forgot Red Breasted Nuthatch! I would presume if you've had all those others, you've had the nuthatch too!
It's weird with nuthatches, I have heard them nearby (never heard in the yard that I know of) but never seen one in the yard. Maybe the ones around here are skiddish or maybe they r higher in the trees or something. In other places I've seen them they were never shy. Not sure the reason. Maybe they need more pine trees around rather than deciduous is only thing I can think of.

It's weird with nuthatches, I have heard them nearby (never heard in the yard that I know of) but never seen one in the yard. Maybe the ones around here are skiddish or maybe they r higher in the trees or something. In other places I've seen them they were never shy. Not sure the reason. Maybe they need more pine trees around rather than deciduous is only thing I can think of.
Could be. I don't have any conifers in my yard but you can throw a rock hard an hit the trunks of a couple. The nuthatches will come down just ten feet from me when I'm out there working. I think Winter and pre nesting season they're not so scared of me. NOW, birds are pretty stand-offish, but real busy feeding the young I think.

He's really Young there is two deer that come around they are brother and sister.
The mom has disappeared lately.
She probably was close by but I didn't see her.
He is just got two little nubs on top of his head

Last Edited:
I'm going to say it's an Ibis.

Excuse me. I meant "Bittern" View attachment 895336
I think ibis might be correct. not sure. It was quite black and about 1/2 the size of a bittern. I don't know my shorebirds/waders, I call them all "shearwaters" (whihc is wrong but I'm too lazy to look them up :p). A poor quality crop of same bird. Orange beak with curve. Dark grey body:
small-9.jpg

A bittern from last month:
birds-3.jpg

Last Edited:
I think ibis might be correct. not sure. It was quite black and about 1/2 the size of a bittern. I don't know my shorebirds/waders, I call them all "shearwaters" (whihc is wrong but I'm too lazy to look them up :p). A poor quality crop of same bird. Orange beak with curve. Dark grey body:
View attachment 895346

A bittern from last month:
View attachment 895344
You get them both where you are? Nice!

I had the idea the Ibis was larger than a bittern. If you see the both of them on occasion then I'll yield to you! I only once was lucky to get a pic of one of them skulking close to IN the weeds on the edge of a lake when we were taking the boat out to fish.

You get them both where you are? Nice!

I had the idea the Ibis was larger than a bittern. If you see the both of them on occasion then I'll yield to you! I only once was lucky to get a pic of one of them skulking close to IN the weeds on the edge of a lake when we were taking the boat out to fish.
Well I went through the bird book and the only bird that is close is clapper rail. Size, beak, body shape, tail shape, and white rump patch are all the same. Maybe it's an immature one and that's why it's darker? Native to California coast marshes and South America according to the book. New one to me.
_DSC1891_00001.jpg

Well I went through the bird book and the only bird that is close is clapper rail. Size, beak, body shape, tail shape, and white rump patch are all the same. Maybe it's an immature one and that's why it's darker? Native to California coast marshes and South America according to the book. New one to me.
View attachment 895584
It shows it around here? I have the Audubon Field Guide but haven't looked it up.

It shows it around here? I have the Audubon Field Guide but haven't looked it up.
I had convinced myself it was a clapper rail but then found images for virginia rail and it looks the same. Also virginia rail has a huge range including here, so I'm going with that. I guess I have ignored identifying shorebirds for too long ha ha. Let's just call it a shearwater, it's easier...;)

Last Edited:
Find this little fellow while cutting hay today, the placenta was still laying with it.

View attachment 895651
Just WOW!

A couple of weeks ago we took a road trip up to the Astoria area, Warrenton, Fort Stevens, walked around the batteries. On the way home we saw a doe and her fawn just waking across a field of tall grass. Damn cool. If it was NOW, you wouldn't see the fawn because I'm sure that grass would be too tall.

Seeing that in person is extra special!

Is there a story to go with this picture? I am pretty jealous. I have spent a little time in the woods and have yet to come across a mountain lion.
Right click the pic and choose "search Google for this image" and it will bring u to the article the photo came from. That's why I think it's helpful if people state whether they took the picture or link the source to where it came from. It's very confusing otherwise imo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top