JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So as the days tick closer to January they also tick closer to me needing to start my conditioning for this years wildland fire season. Thought it may apply here. It gets me prepped to carry a line pack, use a hand tool, and run a hose (Often all done at the same time) 16 hours a day for 14 days straight with no days off.

Here is my training routine:

Week1:
Mon, Wed, Fri
1 mile jog or run
4 sets of 15 pushups, 4x20 situps, 3x3 pullups

Week2:
MWF
2 mile jog or run
5x20 PU, 5x20 SU, 3x4 Pullups

Week3:
MWF
1mile packed jog (15-20lb)
5x20PU, 5X20 SU, 3X4Pullups

Week 4:
MWF
No run
6X20PU, 6X20 SU, 4X4Pullups

Week 5:
M, T, TH, F
Monday and thursday 3mile run. Tuesday, Friday 2mile packed jog (20-25lb)
6X20PU, 6X20SU, 4X5 Pullups

Week6:
MWF
4mile packed jog (30-35lb)
6X20PU, 6X20SU, 4X6 Pullups

After week 6 I continue to increase run distances and pack weights until I hit 5 miles for my runs and at least 45lb for my packed jogs. In between all this i try to get up into the mountains and hike around with a pack and with my fire boots on to make sure they are broken in for the season. Much of my runs will also be done in my boots. This will prepare me not only for the season itself but also the packtest that is required to be re-certified. The pack test is 3 miles with a 45lb pack in under 45 min.

Feel free to leave any questions or comments. This may not work for you or may not be the best routine but its what I do and it has worked for me.

I try not to stay up too late the night before the pack test. Then I Advil up prior. Feel like I am going to die during the test. Pass. Then later when it is fire season the first couple hikes can be rough. Good thing is I dont spend much time hiking.

Monk- Its all about starting slow (IMHO).

Nwcid- I know just how you feel. Bumping around in a type 4 defiantly beats hiking around all day.

Dunginsky- I use a dakine mission pack (Also use it as a 3 day pack on occasion) For weight ive been known to use big rocks that i wrap in a towel to protect the pack. More recently ive been making weight "pills". Its tactical has a good how to for making the "pills"

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually get stuck with nice new rental rigs when I am on R6 fires. But I do everything from hiking in to spike with the shots, driving around on the road, UTV/ATV, to flying medivac's. Not sure if you were in AK this summer but I was on of the 2 medics on the ship that flew in to get the FF that got hit by a tree.

Didnt make it there this summer.
I would love to do that. Among other things im an Oregon EMT. Any idea what companies hire emts for fire work?

Feel free to PM me if you would like.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads