JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's a really great idea Coast, I normally live in a very high rush area, so having suppression gear is a way of life for us! I have mostly mixed pine and fur at home, but not much under brush, still, the risks are super high. We planted to prevent fuel growth and keep every thing trimmed back about 80 feet, and use leafy trees for summer shade and Doug fir for wind protection. We also have a wet system on the buildings, and a back up pump on standby generator. Wife knows how to use all of it effectively, and has to shelter if it gets bad! We have been really lucky so far, people have a healthy respect for fire danger and it really helps keep every one safe!

It is what it is. For myself, the warm humid environment causes plants to grow, I'd rather have plants than ice. It seems we should be doing the easy steps to limit carbon dioxide production, no question, but what that is exactly is a raging debate as well but certainly well above my pay grade. I'm just going to relax and enjoy the fantastic tomatoes we've been getting due to the changed climate growing season:).

As I said, not trying to debate the cause, just trying to discuss the effects and how we should prepare for them.

When I thinned (3 years ago), I thinned more heavily near the house and had the loggers clear brush under the large mature trees left behind. The trees they took were the smaller diameter trees and those that were close to others - now no skinny trees and no trees closer than 20 feet to another, with most trees more than 20 feet apart, but still plenty of shade in most places and a good windbreak.

This year I came in with a dozer and cleared the brush more heavily down to bare ground and leveled the ground so as to make it easier to mow the brush with my two wheeled tractor and flail mower. I am going around every weekend until the heavy rains start and spraying the bramble and thimble berry and maple sprouts that keep coming up to kill them as much as possible to make mowing easier next year, when I will spray again. The goal is to put in ground cover that stays green year round and is low (part of the objective there is to increase the appeal to buyers too).

Neighbors who clear cut now have a lot of tall grass and maples coming up - looks awful and will go up like a matchstick if caught on fire. I have 10+ acres I did not thin because it was thinned decades before I bought the property. It has mostly salal and ferns and such as undergrowth, with some maple nearer the house and at the bottom of the property near the year round creek - so it is ok.

I do have landscaping close to the house, but not really bad - only on one side are bushes up against the house, and I could mow most of that down with my flail mower if I had to get rid of it quickly - the rest I could cut down with my chain saw (small trees).

Firezat Wildfire Cabin or Structure Wrap For House and Property

roofonlytroy800.jpg

21231890_2033756780228258_7239572057530243703_n.jpg

F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-Vgx-nwRy5Vg%2FVeB_QB67csI%2FAAAAAAAAkQ0%2F2HsIUYJkm7o%2Fs1600%2Ftinfoil.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top