JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would think that a big rig would burst that hose. I am just guessing here.

Is it possible to install large water tank and elevate it 30 or 40 feet so would have gravity pressure.

are there are any drain pipe running underneath the road from one side to the other nearby, if so you could run a run a hose through one, cap off the ends tie the ends with a wire or something and anchor them there so they do not get washed away in a storm. They will be there when you need them.

You may be able to find several hundred of water hose on craigslist.

Back in my youth I was a VFAE (Volunteer Fire Apparatus Engineer) at an urban interface station run by CDF. The department had about a half dozen floating pumps that would get deployed to swimming pools, lakes, ponds, etc. when we needed water or had to make a stand without a working hydrant.

They aren't cheap but can easily save your butt if you have a decent water source. Some examples.

Hale - Super Chief Floating Pump

<broken link removed>

We also had some huge inflatable ponds (I think they were 750 - 1000 gallons, think of a giant kiddy pool) that we would fill up and use for refilling water-dropping helicopters. An engine (or hydrant line) would fill the pool and the helicopter would suck water out of it. I never worked helicopter operations so I had no firsthand experience with them but all outward signs showed they worked as a temporary water source that could be set up quickly and fed from a number of water sources.

I've seen float pumps at auctions going for much cheaper than new so that's always an option and lots of the auctions have single-jacket hose available as well. Keep an eye on government surplus sales too.

God forbid you ever have to make a stand against a wind driven fire, you will want as much water volume and pressure as you can get your hands on for as long as you can hold out. You might also consider acquiring some used Nomex, a good hard hat, heavy leather gloves, a bandana or dust mask and some brush goggles. Smoke and ash will kick your but long before radiant heat and everything finds it's way into your eyes. But above all else HAVE AN EXIT PLAN!!! Deploying a fire shelter (or shake and bake tent as we used to call them) is the worst situation you can ever be in. If it's just "stuff" it can be replaced.

Good luck and God's speed.

Thanks Kevin. I have been thinking about a solar pump for the well, but there's other priorities right now and money's tight. We have spring water and two holding tanks with an electric pump and U.V. filter for now. The spring originates across the creek and on forest land and it's piped to our tanks. The terms of our home loan required an independent water source on the property, so we now have a well on the place that's just capped off. It's 300' deep and water pressure is poor, 3-5 GPM, but it's a well. My thinking was to install a solar pump on it at a later date.

if youre having pressure issues, you may consider raising your tank above any outlets in your home. its a good alternative to digging the pipes up that lead from the tank to your home, also more efficient. its important to know that if you are having pressure issues, a lot of the time its usually pipes that are too narrow or a clog.

if youre having pressure issues, you may consider raising your tank above any outlets in your home. its a good alternative to digging the pipes up that lead from the tank to your home, also more efficient. its important to know that if you are having pressure issues, a lot of the time its usually pipes that are too narrow or a clog.

good point and if the pipes are old pipes, well a long time ago they used galvanized pipes for water supply and when they corroded the contract inwardly, you may have to replace the pipes.

http://www.google.com/search?q=galv...AHCqYDoDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1242&bih=612

I've been thinking that it might be the pipes. This place was built in the early seventies and they may be at least part of the problem. As far as raising the tank, the one closest to the house is 1,100 gallons and would be quite an enterprise to move.

What I'd really like to do is figure out how to bypass the pump in case of emergency so we could draw directly from the tanks. The only issue is that it would be unfiltered water, but for an emergency, we could filter and boil it if necessary.

you should seriously consider leaving for the night. if its that thick, it could cause some health problems for you.

There really is no where to go. It's like this in the entire Rogue Valley.

I agree about the health problems. I've had a headache from the smoke since Saturday, and it is hard to breathe.

We are just staying inside the house. Activities at a minimum.

Staying inside is about all we can do. As a result, I'm spending way to much time on the webz. Although I've also been catching up on my reading.

This is why I gave up prepairing for SHTF, once riots broke loose! There will be lots of burnings no firemen. The fire keep on going till it destroy everything. No mater how you protect your area. Everything around you will burn, the smokes will kill you (if you dont believe me then come to Josephine County) i was standing outside for 5 mins to look at the smokes. My eyes burned, my throat dried. When to walmart for mask and no available :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top