JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not in a panic, but there's a forest fire less than a mile and a half from here. No evacuation order has been given, but I've been packing up just in case.

If it hits our house, everything will be gone. All those years of preps wiped out. I've got the BOB ready and packed the supplies and first aid stuff back up after unpacking and organizing it all this past Winter. I'm not going to concern myself with food and a bunch of other stuff. Furniture, nick-nack's and all the rest can go if it has to.

I have our important records, photo's and a few sentimental items packed and ready to load, but other than that, it's just not important enough in the fabric of our lives.

We've got two suitcases packed and the pet carrier ready as well. Firearms, ammo and ancillary stuff is ready to go. If there's time and room in the truck, I'll pack sleeping bags, the camp stove and other things of that type.

I'm posting this because I thought it would make for an interesting discussion.

Thanks Blaylocke.

It's next to impossible to get any updates. Our road was closed earlier, but as of a couple of hours ago it's open again. There's been one air tanker and two helicopters fighting it for the past several hours. We live about a half mile from the Rogue River and they've been filling up down there.

In the meantime, I've got supper on the stove. We'll see what we see.

Just a helpful tip.
I fight wildland fire during the summer months and I have had the unfortunate opportunity to see a few peoples homes and belongings end up in a pile of soot.

If you have the ability and time it is a EXCELLENT idea to dig a scratch line on the perimiter of your property or home if your property is quite large.

1-3 feet wide (Depending on fuels a wider line may be necessary), down to mineral soil (usually about 3-6 inches deep) be sure to remove ALL burnable fuels on your scratch line, even large roots as they can burn underground and re-surface on the opposite side days even weeks later. Pile the flammables on the outside of the fire line (away from your home) or disperse them a distance away if at all possible. Essentially you are trying to prevent any fire or debris from crossing that line and endangering your home.

If you are unable to do so because of health issues, hire one or two day laborers or neighbor kids and it would MAYBE cost you 200$, which is a fair price to pay in comparison to loosing your home and preps. It may ruin your nice green lawn but it is better than your home.

This is one thing that many people dont think about. Giving a break in fuels will stop 90% of fires unless there is tall brush or trees and strong winds.
Set up some sprinklers and run them around the clock if the fire is getting near.

Also you can google "NIFC Sit report" and it will provide a list of notable fires in all areas of the united states along with growth rates and the amount of personel that have been dispatched.

I hope this helps you and any others facing a similar situation.

Stay safe out there!

-Steven

Thanks for the advice Gents.

I just came back from the neighbor's and he gave me a pump for the creek. The creek is year round and even now when it's low, it still has a pretty good flow. But I need another long heavy duty extension cord to power it. I've got one, but it won't make the whole run. I'm afraid to leave to get one, so I'll have to use the garden hoses for now. The pressure isn't that good, but it will have to do.

I'm on the learning curve here. :s0131:

Bless you guys! Ditto on leaving the sprinklers on. Got any nearby buddy's you can call to come in and haul a load out for you? Good luck to you!

You guys are outstanding! Thank you all for the encouragement, advice and prayers.

I can't get any updates anywhere. The ODF website has the same info as it had hours ago. However, the smoke is abating, it's cooling off and the wind is dying down, so I think we'll be okay. I'm beat and about to go read in bed for a while and call it a day. God willing, I'll just check back in in the morning after an uneventful night.

FYI, the ODF has the fire listed as the Pickett Creek Fire.

Sleep tite
SWOFIRE
as of 7:55pm
[h=3]Twenty-Four Lightning Fires Found on ODF-Protected Lands in Josephine County[/h]
Fire crews, engines, helicopters and air tankers fanned out across Josephine County forestlands today and found 24 fires on Oregon Dept. of Forestry-protected lands, which include state, county and Bureau of Land Management lands. The largest fire being fought by ODF crews is the 20-acre Big Windy 16 Fire, located 10 miles west of Galice. The second largest fire is the 15-acre Brimstone Fire, located 5 miles southwest of Sunny Valley.

The other fires include:

• Three fires in the Hog Creek area, one of which is 5 acres and the other two combined total less than one acre;
  • The Malone Peak Fire, which is 4 acres;
  • The 4-acre McKnab Creek Fire, which has a fireline around it and mop-up is underway;
  • The 3-acre Crooks Creek Fire;
  • A 1 1/2-acre fire on Pickett Creek that has a fireline around it and mop-up is underway

Thanks Rick, I was just going to post that update.

The smoke is still quite heavy if not worse for some reason and ash is everywhere. We were going to go to Grants Pass for the "Back to the Fifties" car show, but I'm thinking about staying here just in case. I won't be comfortable until all of this is over. Contained is good, out is better.

Over here in Sprague River, all of our fire warnings are at EXTREME and for good reason. It's so dry and hot that I'm living in a literal tinderbox. Yesterday my house did not hit 100 degrees for the first time in 7 or 8 days. We have breaks in our property, but with the Winema NF on 3 sides of my land, if it came hard we'd have no option but to run.

GOG- Take care of yourself and if you must, don't look back. You can rebuild, restock and all that. Getting your son, daughter, wife, or your *** back is much harder to do. I can relate to what you are going through. Good luck.

Thanks Rick, I was just going to post that update.

The smoke is still quite heavy if not worse for some reason and ash is everywhere. We were going to go to Grants Pass for the "Back to the Fifties" car show, but I'm thinking about staying here just in case. I won't be comfortable until all of this is over. Contained is good, out is better.
Hi, after things are quiet this might be a good time to think about fire proofing your landscape and house while we still have some summer left. Can you trim your tree limbs up about 15? Maybe a fire person can offer some suggestions.

something some family friends would do when wild fires were in their area in florida; take your irreplaceable items to a good friend or family member who lives near by and ask them to hold them for you until the threat is gone. this will save you time and head ache if you have to leave in a hurry. there is no point in waiting for the moment to pack those things in your truck last minute, when you should be more worried about taking things you will need for the first few days after.

i hope things work out for the best.

Thanks guys.

It looks like we're on the downside of things at this point. I just got back from Home Depot with some ABS pipe, glue, fittings and a 100' extension cord. I'm going to get the pump set up and into the creek. Then I'll run the sprinklers.
As far as fireproofing the place, a metal roof has been in the plans, but has to wait until the cash is in hand. We just moved in here last November and improvements have to be spaced out due to our budget.

I had the fire dept. out shortly after we moved in and we're okay for defensible space directly around the house. Unfortunately the beauty of the woods we live in is tempered by the fire potential.

BTW, we're going to skip the car show stuff and hang out here. I'd just be worried and wouldn't enjoy it.

Thanks guys.

It looks like we're on the downside of things at this point. I just got back from Home Depot with some ABS pipe, glue, fittings and a 100' extension cord. I'm going to get the pump set up and into the creek. Then I'll run the sprinklers.
As far as fireproofing the place, a metal roof has been in the plans, but has to wait until the cash is in hand. We just moved in here last November and improvements have to be spaced out due to our budget.

I had the fire dept. out shortly after we moved in and we're okay for defensible space directly around the house. Unfortunately the beauty of the woods we live in is tempered by the fire potential.

BTW, we're going to skip the car show stuff and hang out here. I'd just be worried and wouldn't enjoy it.

Everyone has a budget, nobody can do everything at once. Just out of curiosity, would your insurance have covered your losses had something devastating happened?

I think so, but I'm not sure. I guess I'd better dig out the policy and check the coverage.

Your situation has made me look into renters insurance. It's something I've thought of, but never pulled the trigger. My luck will be seeing my home in ashes and thinking "should have probably got it".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top