JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was up shooting at Wildcat Mt. a few days ago, and figured Id give a condition report for anyone thinking of heading that way.

Wildcat Mt. Location: Head East through Sandy on Hwy 26. Turn RIGHT at Shortys Corner (Firwood Rd.) and follow until you reach Wildcat Mt. Rd.. Turn LEFT on Wildcat Mt. Rd., and continue up the mountain.

I hit spotty snow in the road just above 3 Mile Hill, at about 2800 Ft elevation. Snow on road, but tire tracks clear down to pavement, all the way up to the gravel pit. All sideroads looked snow-packed. At the large gravel turn-around above the gravel pit, the clear tire-tracks turned to snow-pack. All blue gates to that point had vehicles W/people shooting. Gravel turn-around was empty, shooting spots on road off to left open.

All in all, about 35% of area easy to access w/o 4X4 for shooting.

And for those who dont know, shooting around the big gravel pit is posted NO SHOOTING, due to the Pacific Coast Trail passing near that location.

I live up here and shoot there all the time, I always bring home at least one trash bag full of shot up crap, I can't keep up, please bring a trash bag with you. The local sheriff goes up there all the time to keep an eye out for people shooting in the wrong areas, dumping trash, 4 wheeling in closed areas, cutting trees, and so on. He said I was the only guy he ever saw picking up shooting garbage, the few who trash the area make the rest of us look bad.

I live up here and shoot there all the time, I always bring home at least one trash bag full of shot up crap, I can't keep up, please bring a trash bag with you. The local sheriff goes up there all the time to keep an eye out for people shooting in the wrong areas, dumping trash, 4 wheeling in closed areas, cutting trees, and so on. He said I was the only guy he ever saw picking up shooting garbage, the few who trash the area make the rest of us look bad.

Yeah, I know man. Ive been going up there since I was a kid, and it really pi**es me off to see that people keep leaving their trash up there. A few of my buddies recently went up Wildcat, Squaw, and Memaloose with a flat bed trailer and hauled out garbage from all the good shooting spots up there. I found out about it late, so I wasnt able to make it. But whenever my buddy and I hit the woods, we stop and pick up what we can.

I totally agree, ANYONE going up in the woods to shoot NEEDS to bring with them trash bags to clean up after themselves. If people dont, you might start seeing more of our Longview Fibre and BLM owned public tree farm areas getting closed down to everyone. I WILL report license plates of ANYONE I see leaving trash that I see up there, and you should too.

Drove up there for the first time today, Saw a few of those blue gates that clearly mark "no target shooting". Was curious since you said people were shooting there if it was okay? If not, where is a good place up there? I drove up to where the snow was starting (The tracks were still clear down to the road) then turned around as I had to head back to work, so I didnt get a chance to go to the top.

Is there any places to shoot up there?

You have to go past where the road narrows to one lane. I went up there a week ago and the snow was about 2 feet deep and heavily rutted, not many people can make it up there this time of year. I have a modified Jeep (lift, lockers, winch, large mud tires) and I usually am there by myself. A regular truck with street tires and stock ground clearance will have to wait for warmer weather. Once you get past where the road narrows just turn to the left on any of the dirt roads, the one to the right goes to a gravel pit and there is no shooting there because of a hiking trail.

If you go up past most of the blue gates (Longview Fiber) near where it tops out there are a couple side roads into clearcuts where it is pretty open and nice shooting spots into the hillside. Still needs some more melt time up there though. Most blue gates, if open, mean active logging farther back and if they hear you they'll shut down and call the sheriff. Gates usually closed and locked by 3PM, earlier if you spook them out.

Yeah, I ran some of my favorite mountain spots last weekend, and found the snow level to be at about 2500ft. The snow starts up Wildcat just past 3 mile hill, before the gravel pit turn off. Cant wait for the snow to melt off up in the hills, I have a Spring Bear tag burning a hole in my pocket!

Any updates on the conditions? I hope that with all this lovely weather the snow has melted...

Also - does anyone have GPS coordinates of the area that is "okay" to shoot at?

Memaloose is great, but it takes forever to get there (and am only in Boring - I feel sorry for those who are further out)....

Wildcat Mountain is a lot closer...

It's all clear now. There is a sign near the top that say's where it's legal to shoot, don't know the GPS. The best areas are the short roads to the left, they all dead end.

Have fun.

i was up there last saturday and all the snow is gone and found a great place to shoot,right after the road narrows and the first left and then right,we set up alot of clay pigeons in downed trees(200) and we had alot of fun,went up with both my brothers,dad,and one of my nieces,we were basically shooting our 22 and sighting in some new 17,s and also brought our hand guns,funny thing when we were all done making alot of noise we turned around and there were two bunnys just sittin there watching us,we could not believe how unafraid of us they were,all in all a good day,then i decided to go back up the next monday by my self,someone had drug a car up there and torched it and left trash and beer bottles all over the place,,,oh and the rabbits were killed,:( that kinda irked me,i have nothing against hunting,but i dont like wasting an animal for no reason,but there are alot of places to shoot up there and it is close for me:s0155:

someone had drug a car up there and torched it

Went up there tonight... didn't do any shooting :(

Saw a lot of scorched areas... just sickning. I think Memaloose is in better condition than Wildcat Mountain Road... Too bad, Wildcat is so much closer...

Did some data collection with the GPS for those that have never been up there:

Since a couple folks brought up Memaloose - I've heard from several people over the past few weeks the Forest Service and BLM are going to close the rest of Memaloose to shooting. The places up there are getting trashed and getting heavy traffic because of campers coming through the area. I drove up there a couple weeks ago on a Sunday and it was like driving down an average county roadway with people standing on the side of the road shooting it up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top