JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Are you people aware of this. very good story.

Wild herd of bison roams base of Wallowa Mountains in Oregon | OregonLive.com

herd of free-roaming bison graze on a south-facing slope near a craggy granite spine called Cougar Ridge, their shaggy presence a pleasant diversion for some Wallowa County residents, but worrisome to others.

The herd, numbering around 25, spent much of this winter on the northern fringe of the 560-square-mile Eagle Cap Wilderness, Oregon's biggest federal wilderness.

Wouldn't you love to hunt a Bison??? I know I would.
As long as they free range and are a growing herd, we may get a chance eventually.
Yes, I think that would be cool. I've been pretty close to some of these in Yellowstone. Man, what a big powerful animal.

"Before the white settlement era, bison shared eastern Oregon with deer, elk, bears and wolves. Nevertheless, they aren't wildlife under Oregon law. And while their meat is prominent in supermarkets and restaurant menus, they aren't livestock, either.

They are private property and considered domestic animals -- similar to peacocks and llamas, said Rodger Huffman, spokesman for the Oregon Department of Agriculture's Animal Health and Identification Division.

Bison found grazing on private or public lands without grazing rights are trespassing, Huffman said. That makes for a thorny issue in this case because the herd has no owner."

Its sad that such a natural thing is now an oddity. Sad that we have to stop them in their tracks because it 'may' impede on our land take-over and population there of. If anything, we need to encourage more free roaming bison & hunt them like any other game animal natural to our habbitat. Instead we evolved into wanna be Gods whom practice ultimate authority over all the lands and it's beasts, and now...eachother

They may flatten some fences and "trespass" onto private land but I hope they let them be. I think this is really cool, when the herd gets bigger having a controlled hunt to thin the herd seems reasonable, but these animals where here before us, and again I think its cool there is a wild herd. :s0155:

While I think it's cool that there are Bison in Oregon, I worry for the rest of the big game population if any of the Bison have Brucellosis. If that somehow gets passed to the Deer and Elk in the area it could be devastating.

They are not wild as they belong to a farm with 20,000 acres and they keep getting through and they are going to try and collect them. I heard it on the radio.

Scott

These are not wild buffalo, and are actually beefalo. 3/4 buffalo and 1/4 beef. They need to be captured or killed. The likely owner of these animals denies ownership. As they likely carry diseases like brucellis, they should be culled by hunters before they infect wildlife. If Oregon wants buffalo introduced, it should be done the right way with genetically viable animals. My .02

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top