JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pigs in Oregon? They are concentrated around Salem and Portland.

Feral Swine? They are found in patches around the state. I saw a map of their populations on the ODFW site a year or two ago.

Also a guy at Sportsman's Warehouse named Frank hunted them with his family with a 257. Talked to him about it a while, he's not there anymore though. Forgot most of what he said..unfortunately. :( They go hunt them on the east side of the state, they have a blast and get fresh bacon/ham/pork. Yum.

Since ODFW wants them gone, there are only pockets of them, and they can be pretty wary.

Man I want some bacon now.....

I have some friends in SE Or. that owned the domestic version (Russian Boar I believe) as some of their neighbors did, and they were great stock if they stayed on the property. Seems they wander off and form feral groups and therin is the problem. I hear they are mostly on private lands and you need permission, but they can be found on public land also and are very wary,,,,,but they eat good and no limit/tag necessary.......bacon good..:s0155:

Most of the feral hogs in Oregon have been killed already. Although they are fun to hunt they do a lot of damage to the land and just arent worth having around. I hunted a few places near the town of Antelope. And btw, feral hogs are generally too lean for bacon, Ive never talked to any hog hunter that has gotten bacon from a wild hog.... but im sure someone has tried.

Does anyone know of any RECENT hunting opportunities for swine? I have posted on some of the hunting sites that have guides for various big game and asked about hunting swine, and they seem disinterested in hunting swine/hogs/pigs/boars etc.

Is it that there just isn't any money in hunting pigs, or that there just aren't many decent hunting places? It really surprised me that guides weren't interested in taking my money to guide me on a pig hunt...that seems to suggest that there just aren't many out there in Oregon.

Does anyone have any more information or ideas?

Does anyone know of any RECENT hunting opportunities for swine? I have posted on some of the hunting sites that have guides for various big game and asked about hunting swine, and they seem disinterested in hunting swine/hogs/pigs/boars etc.

Is it that there just isn't any money in hunting pigs, or that there just aren't many decent hunting places? It really surprised me that guides weren't interested in taking my money to guide me on a pig hunt...that seems to suggest that there just aren't many out there in Oregon.

Does anyone have any more information or ideas?

I think you've hit on it right there!

They've only been spotted in a few places - and those are mostly all private

for a good chance at pigs, go to California - pm me if you're interested in a guide down there (I will recommend one, but I don't make any money from it)

I recently did a lot of research on the feral swine problem in Oregon and came to the conclusion that it was a lot of hype. The only real boar hunting options are pay-to-play ranches. I talked to many hunters, ODFW folks, and posted queries in a lot of spots online. Oh well, it was a nice dream....

If you really want to hunt some hogs go down south. Look on the internet and find someone that has hog hunts for sale, their everywhere. Why try to hunt the 10 pigs that are in Oregon, go somewhere where they have a population of hogs to hunt, ie: south Texas.

Just my $.02

Jack

I have been praying for hog hunting in Oregon... want to do my part... repel invaders and the like. I too have talked to ODFW, done the on-line thing, given guides my phone number so when they are spotted I would respond in 3 hours, talked to grange members, farmers, ranchers, in hot spots.... but too few and far between in the Beaver State. the collective opinion is... go south to KALIFORNIA... sadly I wanted to hunt with evil black rifles..... might have to be more traditional down there.

I have been praying for hog hunting in Oregon... want to do my part... repel invaders and the like. I too have talked to ODFW, done the on-line thing, given guides my phone number so when they are spotted I would respond in 3 hours, talked to grange members, farmers, ranchers, in hot spots.... but too few and far between in the Beaver State. the collective opinion is... go south to KALIFORNIA... sadly I wanted to hunt with evil black rifles..... might have to be more traditional down there.

"more traditional" as in good old bolt actions? that still can be loads of fun!

I've actually done quite a bit of research on hunting feral swine in Oregon. True, I could go to California, but I have no desire to do that. For one, I would like to use the weapon of my choice. Two, I despise California and have no desire to go down there and spend money.

Feral Swine have been present in Oregon for nearly 200 years. It is said that when the city of Astoria was established that the first settlers brought pigs with them and that some of these animals escaped. As pigs have the distinction of being not only an agressive large predatory animal, but also have reproductive traits similar to rodents (ie. they produce large litters, as many as 9 or 10 offspring per litter and a healthy sow can produce two litters per year), these animals multiplied rapidly. It is reported in the journals of local residents of that time that these pigs became very troublesome and dangerous.

That said, there ARE pig hunting opportunities on Public Land here in Oregon, but you will need to do a lot of research and scouting around, because these animals can be very elusive, can cover a lot of ground and can subsist on what they find in the forest. I have spoken to the head of Ivasive Species Management at ODFW and even he admits that they don't know a lot about these pigs or where exactly they are. In otherwords, don't go into this thinking that this is an easy way to get some free pork chops.

ODFW estimate that the current population of feral swine in Oregon is roughly 1500 animals.

We know for a fact that there are ESTABLISHED populations of feral swine in the following Oregon counties:

Coos & Curry Counties - Dement Creek/Sixes River area, Pistol River, and Thomas Creek. Swine in this area are said to have longer heads and to be more agressive than populations elsewhere, suggesting that they may be closer related to wild boars than domestic pigs.

Crook - Ochoco Nat. Forest

Jackson - Sampson, Slide,and Conde Creeks

Josephine - Rogue and Ready Creek Watershed

Klamath - Swan Lake Ridge, Klamath River

Wasco & Jefferson Counties - Ashwood area

Wheeler - Spray/Service Creek/Waterman Triangle area

Confirmed citings of feral swine have also been reported in Harney, Malheur, Grant, Morrow, Douglas, Gilliam, Sherman and Lake Counties.

In drier counties such as Harney, you can pretty much bet that you'll want to look around isolated water sources.

Last Edited:
My Uncle runs or owns a Boar hunting ranch in northeastern Washington. He would make you a pretty good deal im sure. I think they are all wild ones on his property (he dosnt raise them so you can hunt them). He will let you use whatever you wawnt to hunt them, he is big into bow hunting them. He has had guys use knives, handguns, rifles, shotguns, black powder, muzzel loaders, you name it...He is usually right behind you with a 12GA loaded with slugs so if you miss!

My Uncle runs or owns a Boar hunting ranch in northeastern Washington. He would make you a pretty good deal im sure. I think they are all wild ones on his property (he dosnt raise them so you can hunt them). He will let you use whatever you wawnt to hunt them, he is big into bow hunting them. He has had guys use knives, handguns, rifles, shotguns, black powder, muzzel loaders, you name it...He is usually right behind you with a 12GA loaded with slugs so if you miss!

A buddy and I here in the Seattle area have done some (unsuccessful) hog hunting in Texas and have been trying to find a location closer to home. Is your Uncle open to hunters coming over to hunt?

Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads