JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I might have to take you up on that.

PM me when you are ready and we'll put something together.

I'm not sure how many parts PSA is outsourcing these days, as they've been trying to bring everything in-house. I know FN still does their CHF barrels, and I believe Toolcraft makes some of their bolt carriers. They'll occasionally use a Geiselle or 2A Armament rail, but I believe most of their rails and barrels are manufactured by PSA now.

The thing is it doesn't matter who manufacturers their components, it matters how they spec it and what they do with it after they take possession of it. They can't say, "Hey FN, hook us with some of barrels you make for the U.S. military using Colt's TDP". It doesn't work that way, they provide the spec and FN manufacturers to that spec. It's like just all lowers are made a relatively small number of forger, but they are not the same regardless or what people say. They made to the customer's spec, (at which point it is still a hunk of aluminum) and finished by the customer. Then the biggy, QC, even properly made parts mean nothing if put together using substandard method and shortcuts.

I think their reputation took the biggest hit when they had that atrocious PTAC line with sewer pipes for barrels. I won't argue with your opinion as an armorer, but as a consumer, I personally think they've redeemed themselves and I have no reservations in purchasing another PSA upper.

The PTAC line is certainly an extreme example, terrible. I can't claim to be an armorer, I don't do it for a leaving, I nearly did but it doesn't pencil out, so I'm more of a serious student of the weapon. I think the industry as a whole has improved but there is still plenty of room for improvement.

They really are one of the best deals on the market right now, considering it's been entirely possible to build $300 ARs with their sale prices.

That's debatable, I'm more into quality over quantity so I tend to spend more on fewer, I can wrap more than 3 bills in a barrel alone real fast.

I haven't seen or heard of any major QA issues from PSA lately, and they sell a LOT of uppers. Biggest gripe I've seen over the last year is that barrel nuts are almost impossible to remove...
If you can snag one of their premium set ups with the FN cold hammer forged barrels (and occasionally Geiselle rails) you're getting good quality gear. One of the biggest issues I've seen with PSA is letting stuff get out the door without proper torque specs both over and undertorqued. The problem is the MAJORITY of the people buying PSA aren't armorers and so won't catch that.

If you can snag one of their premium set ups with the FN cold hammer forged barrels (and occasionally Geiselle rails) you're getting good quality gear. One of the biggest issues I've seen with PSA is letting stuff get out the door without proper torque specs both over and undertorqued. The problem is the MAJORITY of the people buying PSA aren't armorers and so won't catch that.
I have a much older 20" FN CHF upper with an MI SS15G2 handguard that I absolutely love, and it's one of my most accurate.

Fwiw, BCM is notorious for overtight barrel nuts, yet they're still trusted, and I've also heard a few different reports of Colt barrel nuts only being hand tight, one of which was on a Colt 9mm carbine.

These things happen, but I think people are quick to bash PSA, but all too willing to forgive and forget when it comes to names like Colt.

:s0092:

As a side note, I consider their Nitride barrels to be good quality gear, as well. I know the FN is a better barrel, but I much prefer Nitride over Parkerizing as an exterior coating here in the soggy PNW.

Last Edited:
I have a much older 20" FN CHF upper with an MI SS15G2 handguard that I absolutely love, and it's one of my most accurate.

Fwiw, BCM is notorious for overtight barrel nuts, yet they're still trusted, and I've also heard a few different reports of Colt barrel nuts only being hand tight, one of which was on a Colt 9mm carbine.

These things happen, but I think people are quick to bash PSA, but all too willing to forgive and forget when it comes to names like Colt.

:s0092:

As a side note, I consider their Nitride barrels to be good quality gear, as well. I know the FN is a better barrel, but I much prefer Nitride over Parkerizing as an exterior coating here in the soggy PNW.
I agree about the double standards. There's definitely snobbery in the AR world. While I can be a little like that myself I'll at least give credit where it's due. People forget that company reputations tend to wane over time. For instance I'm about to put together an M4gery and will be using a BCM upper but I'll be looking over that upper very closely because I've been hearing some things regarding their quality control letting things out that aren't up to their usual standards. I've been hearing it about LMT too...

In general PSAs are perfectly good range guns. They aren't a combat grade weapon but I have no qualms about what they do nor what they charge for it.

Wifey ended up ordering this.
PSA 16" Mid-Length Pencil 5.56 NATO 1:7 Stainless Steel 13.5" Lightweight M-LOK Upper with NiB BCG, CH, & MBUS Sight Set

We'll be getting a lower parts kit sans trigger and grip. I think I'm liking the recommend from @turbo_vanner for this trigger.

LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger - LaRue Tactical

As good as a Geissele at half the price in my opinion.

Got a recommendation for an "Ergo Grip" and that sounds good to Wifey. Maybe I'll get one for myself too? Better than the hard plastic thing I'm sure.

Need to find a butt stock, buffer tube/spring now too.

For my particular work situation, I used/carried a pencil bbl AR because.....

I found that I was carrying it more, than actually shooting it. It was still accurate enough as long as I didn't really torque on the sling.:eek: Of course, with the right handguards that concern could have been eliminated if not greatly reduced.

Aloha, Mark

Wifey ended up ordering this.
PSA 16" Mid-Length Pencil 5.56 NATO 1:7 Stainless Steel 13.5" Lightweight M-LOK Upper with NiB BCG, CH, & MBUS Sight Set

We'll be getting a lower parts kit sans trigger and grip. I think I'm liking the recommend from @turbo_vanner for this trigger.

Got a recommendation for an "Ergo Grip" and that sounds good to Wifey. Maybe I'll get one for myself too? Better than the hard plastic thing I'm sure.

Need to find a butt stock, buffer tube/spring now too.
Sounds like a nice selection of parts.

The AR grip is one of those parts that only the end user can choose.
One thing to consider though, is "grip angle".
The standard AR grip presents kind of an extreme angle and lots of folks hate that finger bump.
The better AR grip makers have addressed grip angle.
Here's a short video on the Magpul K2 grip which has a more vertical angle and is of a soft material.
I like the Hogue grip too (soft and with finger grooves) and it is another one to try at the fun store.

The buttstock is another personal, end user choice.
Some of the buttstocks that "look cool" provide a terrible "cheek weld".
I have a Magpul CTR that fits that description.
The SOPMOD-style buttstocks typically offer a very comfortable cheek weld.
Enhanced SOPMOD Stock

Recommend avoiding like the plague, any and all "commercial" buttstocks and buffer tubes.

Last Edited:
olt-carrier-group-ni-bo-t-c-engraved-mpi-c-158-complete-000000009638-all-products_491225_500x500.jpg
They even look good, with the logo on the hidden side.

Last Edited:
Sounds like a nice selection of parts.

The AR grip is one of those parts that only the end user can choose.
One thing to consider though, is "grip angle".
The standard AR grip presents kind of an extreme angle and lots of folks hate that finger bump.
The better AR grip makers have addressed grip angle.
Here's a short video on the Magpul K2 grip which has a more vertical angle and is of a soft material.
I like the Hogue grip too (soft and with finger grooves) and it is another one to try at the fun store.

The buttstock is another personal, end user choice.
Some of the buttstocks that "look cool" provide a terrible "cheek weld".
I have a Magpul CTR that fits that description.
The SOPMOD-style buttstocks typically offer a very comfortable cheek weld.
Enhanced SOPMOD Stock

Recommend avoiding like the plague, any and all "commercial" buttstocks and buffer tubes.

Take into consideration that neither on of us know what we don't know. With that said, people like us will get used to what ever we have at hand. I think that soft grips with some finger grooves are going to be better than the stock Magpul hard plastic grip. I was recommended an "Ergo Grip". Grips Archives • ERGO Grips It looks good to me. Price is good. And it will be better than hard plastic.

That stock looks good to me. I'l let the Ms look and see what she thinks. If it happens to be lighter than a standard Magpul, all the better.

Edit: $95.00 seems a bit much, but I haven't looked at much in the way of stocks...and I don't know much.:D

Last Edited:
Take into consideration that neither on of us know what we don't know. With that said, people like us will get used to what ever we have at hand. I think that soft grips with some finger grooves are going to be better than the stock Magpul hard plastic grip. I was recommended an "Ergo Grip". Grips Archives • ERGO Grips It looks good to me. Price is good. And it will be better than hard plastic.

That stock looks good to me. I'l let the Ms look and see what she thinks. If it happens to be lighter than a standard Magpul, all the better.
If you can try the stuff out before you buy, all the better.
The gist of my post above is that no one can tell you which grip or buttstock you will like.
If possible, try them out at the fun store before you buy.

Black Rifle shops: (maybe others can add to this ?)

Curt's in Milwaukie
Limitless in Washougal
Sporting Systems in Vancouver (not sure if they do "parts")

The gist of my post above is that no one can tell you which grip or buttstock you will like

Oh I realize this.:D And believe I do appreciate all input. All I can do is look at the parts linked, and decide what looks good. And jump on it.

Edit: $95.00 seems a bit much, but I haven't looked at much in the way of stocks...and I don't know much.:D

My grip preferences are for size and angle. Magpul has a traditional angle which is best for use with an extended stock. If she has a shorter overall pull length. IE she needs the stock closer in. She may find the angle of the grip uncomfortable for her wrist. Magpul makes a variant that has a more straight profile. As does many manufacturers. The size aspect is for filling your hand and trigger finger placement. A larger grip in a ladies hand may mean she has all but the tip of her index finger placed on the trigger and nothing more. A slimmer grip may allow her to get a better trigger placement.

The Ergo grip is at a good angle, and isn't too big. I think it will be a good fit for her. My only other recommendation would be a BCM mod 0. That or the Ergo Swift grip.

Stocks are more of a taste type decision. The sopmod posted earlier is a great stock, though I feel it is mainly to attract those looking to replicate military rifles as it is a similar style to those equipped on our military's rifles. For her, I'd recommend a smaller overall padded stock. Something too large may just be, too large, for her. I'd say take a look at the Magpul SL line. I'd say the smaller footprint should shoulder a bit easier on a smaller framed individual.

Last Edited:
Stocks are more of a taste type decision. The sopmod posted earlier is a great stock, though I feel it is mainly to attract those looking to replicate military rifles as it is a similar style to those equipped on our military's rifles. For her, I'd recommend a smaller overall padded stock. Something too large may just be, too large, for her. I'd say take a look at the Magpul SL line. I'd say the smaller footprint should shoulder a bit easier on a smaller framed individual.

That SL looks good, and Jane likes it too. ? though. We want to stay away from "commercial", right? Milspec is the way to go with stock and tube? Optics Planet has it for $57.00 (save 25%).

That SL looks good, and Jane likes it too. ? though. We want to stay away from "commercial", right? Milspec is the way to go with stock and tube? Optics Planet has it for $57.00 (save 25%).
Doesn't matter. Commercial tubes are thicker. That's it. They function identical. I've never seen a mil tube deform.

However, if you have a mil tube, you must buy a mil stock. Type thing. They don't interchange.

The SL is a great stock, my new favorite.

Doesn't matter. Commercial tubes are thicker. That's it. They function identical. I've never seen a mil tube deform.

However, if you have a mil tube, you must buy a mil stock. Type thing. They don't interchange.

It does matter, I would not own a commercial receiver extension.

Milspec RE are 7075T6 hammer-drawn 1.145" dia. tubes, have more thread engagement area, and a breaking strength of 75 lbs.

Commercial 1.17" tubes are 6061T6 alloy, are lathe turned and milled, with a welded end, have less thread engagement area, and break at approx 45 lbs. The problem with them is that the threaded section is also 1.170, so the threads are not cut to full "height" and do not fully engage the threads in the receiver. When commercial tubes fail, they often pull the threads out of the receiver.

There are some excellent stocks that are only available in Milspec dimensions, such as the LMT/B5 SopMod and BCM Gunfighter to name a couple, that along with the A5 system is milspec dia. (plus being longer that a commercial RE) and will be the only RE I'll buy for builds. I certainly don't what both around just for logistics

So between the softer material, less thread engagement and the inability to utilizes milspec stocks I can't see any reason why someone would intentionally choose a commercial RE over a milspec, it just doesn't pencil out.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top