JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I plan on using a complete lower.

I think you mean upper.

I'd like input on +/- of a pencil barrel VS standard barrel.

Weight savings is the biggest reason to with a LW barrel, for ease of carry and maneuverability, LW does not mean "inaccurate" but nor is the best for precision work. If this will double as an HD gun, LW all the way, if punching tiny holes is more the goal I'd lean to a heavier profile SS barrel and would probably bump up to an 18" barrel with rifle length gas system.

Nickle Boron BCG VS standard. !

I would not pay good money for an NiB BCG, period. If not done absolutely perfect (nothing I'd count on from lower tier manufacturers) the process can lead flaking and/or have hydrogen embrittlement of the steel resulting sheared lugs. If you want a fancy, easy to clean finish the go with Robars Np3, both SIONICS and Forward Controls offer Np3 BCGs and I believe SOLGW does or will soon as well.

Drop in Trigger VS non-drop in.

I'm not into cassette triggers at all. Blown primers, or torn rim casings can lock up triggers and they are more difficult to get back up then standard style triggers. Not really an issue for plickers. I think there is very broad spectrum of quality out there on them as well. Consistency between lowers and more forgiveness to out of spec lowers is where they shine, IMO.

Does buffer tube, spring, plunger really matter which one. Is more expensive more better?

I won't not build a personal carbine without an A5 system...
VLTOR A5 Buffer System Overview

LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger - LaRue Tactical

As good as a Geissele at half the price in my opinion.

IMO, not quite as good as a G trigger, I'd say 80-85% of the trigger for half the price or less. Definitely the best dollar for dollar trigger on the market at this point in time.

I'd recommend a Fail Zero BCG. Especially if you buy a complete upper and it comes with one. Most of them are pretty low quality and the BCG is the heart and soul of the rifle. Don't skimp on it.

I'd recommend a Fail Zero BCG. Especially if you buy a complete upper and it comes with one. Most of them are pretty low quality and the BCG is the heart and soul of the rifle. Don't skimp on it.
I have a fail zero.
Accully I have 2 they are good no problems.

Buffer spring JP ENTERPRISE.
Makes one that is really great .
But it is extremely expensive.
I have one it's awesome but it was like 150 bucks Screenshot_2019-05-07_153001.jpg Screenshot_2019-05-07_152953.jpg

As for drop in trigger .
If she wants to just Targets with a light trigger pull .
I have three of these .
VELOCITY TRIGGERS.
the guy that started making these used to work for GESSLE OR TIMNEY.
I can't remember but went out on his own.
There like 125 bucks .
I got the 3lb pull in two guns .
They work good MVIMG_20190507_154329.jpg

The only reason I say for Target bench Shooting.
3lb trigger is light for a run and gun .
Some places like FRONT SIGHT.
won't let you use a 3lb trigger.
It's too light .

This gun I built with all the stuff I just talked about trigger BCG buffer spring .
Balisic advantage 18 Inc 223 wyled barrel.
Kinda went cheap on the hand Guards and some stuff.
But it's a good Shooting gun bench gun.
You said 100 yards .
100 yards is nothing .
I have to get out a really test it but I was hitting clay pigeons laying on the ground at 100 yards.
No PROBLEM.
Then Shooting the little pieces after that.
I'm thinking easy out to 500 yards depends on wind. And a good shooter.
I can't see 500 yards LOL. IMG_20180818_135449.jpg

Nobody would listen if I suggested
6.8 SPC ll
Young BCG
Velocity trigger
Windham Weapondry Alum. Round tube fore end
Most importantly ARP 16" melonite barrel and matching super bolt

Your wife won't like the 5 shot 1/2" @ 100yrds.

Nobody would listen if I suggested
6.8 SPC ll
Young BCG
Velocity trigger
Windham Weapondry Alum. Round tube fore end
Most importantly ARP 16" melonite barrel and matching super bolt

Your wife won't like the 5 shot 1/2" @ 100yrds.

Probably not. 6.8 SPC II isn't for plinking and general range fun. At least not for most of us.

Hell I got a 300 black out AR .
That I don't shoot that much .
Ammo is exspesive.
Good gun good round .
But to go burn 300 rounds that's like 300 bucks.
Maybe a little less but you know what I mean.

Hell I got a 300 black out AR .
That I don't shoot that much .
Ammo is exspesive.
Good gun good round .
But to go burn 300 rounds that's like 300 bucks.
Maybe a little less but you know what I mean.

Same. I built a rifle in .300 BLK specifically for dogs and pigs. I've yet to use it for either. :(

Same. I built a rifle in .300 BLK specifically for dogs and pigs. I've yet to use it for either. :(
I like mine but .
It is what it is a very exspesive hog gun .
Or I feel sorry for the CLOWN that trys to break in my house when I I have it .
Great home defense gun.

Hard hitting easy to control AR .
KNOCK DOWN STEAL TARGETS.
sorry but if you get hit with the 300 BLACK out hog hammer ammo
Your dead dead dead .
You are not getting up .
Dirt nap

Value and Ease of Use seems to be on the table here.

1) I like the [pencil barrel] idea. Even if it is a bench bench gun, she will enjoy it more if it's easy to move around.

2) The [Larue trigger] is a good suggestion. Inexpensive and much better than mil spec.
She will enjoy the rifle much more if it has a nice trigger.
I don't like drop-in cassette triggers because most of them can't self-retain their pins and they force you to use dog bones, buttonheads or C-clips on the outside of the receiver.
Therefore, I never recommend cassette triggers.

3) In today's market the [ToolCraft line of bolt carrier groups] is it.
You can chose from basic black nitride to any coating that you can dream up.
And they are at crazy-cheap prices that we have never seen on these premium BCG's

4) For greater ease of operation, I would put a [Radian Raptor charging handle] on it for her.
There is a new value version that is about $48 and worth it.
The mil spec charging handle is completely out-classed by the Radian Raptor and it's made in Bend, Oregon.

5) Finally optics....I think she would have the most fun with a red dot.
More so than a conventional scope, I think.
When Holosun first came out it smelled like a Chinese impostor.
But they are actually pretty dang good for the money.
[Holosun HS503GU red dot sight] ($200) is being called the Aimpoint Killer.

If you want accuracy and longevity go ahead and get that PSA upper.. then pull off the barrel and trow it away. Spend $150 or so on a ballistics advantage or Faxon and be worlds ahead.

Honestly... build one around a good barrel and forget PSA.
You can get superior parts shopping around a little. Get a nitride BCG over NiB...
the hardest part of building an upper is timing the barrel nut but if you get the right handguard it's super easy. And many come with color coded shim kits to make it idiot proof.
Don't let PSA take away the joy of building and shooting a superior rifle... or your wife's pride of having a sweet ar.

It's all about the barrel... the gun is defined by it! Don't skimp there!
My recommendation is the 16" ballistics advantage mid length gas...
Several profiles, and price points to choose, all guaranteed sub-moa.

Last Edited:
If you want accuracy and longevity go ahead and get that PSA upper.. then pull off the barrel and trow it away. Spend $150 or so on a ballistics advantage or Faxon and be worlds ahead.

Honestly... build one around a good barrel and forget PSA.
You can get superior parts shopping around a little. Get a nitride BCG over NiB...
the hardest part of building an upper is timing the barrel nut but if you get the right handguard it's super easy. And many come with color coded shim kits to make it idiot proof.
Don't let PSA take away the joy of building and shooting a superior rifle... or your wife's pride of having a sweet ar.

It's all about the barrel... the gun is defined by it! Don't skimp there!
My recommendation is the 16" ballistics advantage mid length gas...
Several profiles, and price points to choose, all guaranteed sub-moa.
Agreed.

Faxon Firearms 16 in. Match Series .223 Wylde Pencil Barrel

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews