JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My grip preferences are for size and angle. Magpul has a traditional angle which is best for use with an extended stock. If she has a shorter overall pull length. IE she needs the stock closer in. She may find the angle of the grip uncomfortable for her wrist. Magpul makes a variant that has a more straight profile. As does many manufacturers. The size aspect is for filling your hand and trigger finger placement. A larger grip in a ladies hand may mean she has all but the tip of her index finger placed on the trigger and nothing more. A slimmer grip may allow her to get a better trigger placement.

The Ergo grip is at a good angle, and isn't too big. I think it will be a good fit for her. My only other recommendation would be a BCM mod 0. That or the Ergo Swift grip.

Stocks are more of a taste type decision. The sopmod posted earlier is a great stock, though I feel it is mainly to attract those looking to replicate military rifles as it is a similar style to those equipped on our military's rifles. For her, I'd recommend a smaller overall padded stock. Something too large may just be, too large, for her. I'd say take a look at the Magpul SL line. I'd say the smaller footprint should shoulder a bit easier on a smaller framed individual.

The Magpul K2 has a reduced angle from the older MOE/MAID series. The K2+ is rubberized. My daughter like the SL grip best

The SL is a great stock, my new favorite.

It does matter, I would not own a commercial receiver extension.

Milspec RE are 7075T6 hammer-drawn 1.145" dia. tubes, have more thread engagement area, and a breaking strength of 75 lbs.

Commercial 1.17" tubes are 6061T6 alloy, are lathe turned and milled, with a welded end, have less thread engagement area, and break at approx 45 lbs. The problem with them is that the threaded section is also 1.170, so the threads are not cut to full "height" and do not fully engage the threads in the receiver. When commercial tubes fail, they often pull the threads out of the receiver.

There are some excellent stocks that are only available in Milspec dimensions, such as the LMT/B5 SopMod and BCM Gunfighter to name a couple, that along with the A5 system is milspec dia. (plus being longer that a commercial RE) and will be the only RE I'll buy for builds. I certainly don't what both around just for logistics

So between the softer material, less thread engagement and the inability to utilizes milspec stocks I can't see any reason why someone would intentionally choose a commercial RE over a milspec, it just doesn't pencil out.

That's only if you actually believe all manufacturers are making them this way.

Pretty sure most mil buffer tubes these days are extruded aluminum. They get the "mil spec" stamp simply for dimensions.

That's only if you actually believe all manufacturers are making them this way.

Pretty sure most mil buffer tubes these days are extruded aluminum. They get the "mil spec" stamp simply for dimensions.

I don't believe all manufacturers are, in fact, I know they are not, that still does not negate the thread engagement or material issues. I know the ones I use do.

Last Edited:
If you can try the stuff out before you buy, all the better.
The gist of my post above is that no one can tell you which grip or buttstock you will like.
If possible, try them out at the fun store before you buy.

Black Rifle shops: (maybe others can add to this ?)

Curt's in Milwaukie
Limitless in Washougal
Sporting Systems in Vancouver (not sure if they do "parts")
Add Oregon Rifle Works in Tigard to the list.

Great customer service, and they have a pretty good selection of inventory on hand.

Don't forget about Sportsman's Warehouse or Cabela's either, though I'd only use them for demo purposes and then shop around for price. I believe Cabela's has some dummy rifles with a bunch of Magpul accessories installed that you can hold and play with.

Commercial receiver extensions exist because they are easier to manufacture than milspec receiver extensions.
You can get a poorly fitting buttstock with commercial, which I have.
Therefore I always recommend a milspec buttstock system because there are standards for milspec and fitment is typically better.
And the price is usually the same.

This is one of those "unseen" things for new people getting into ARs and it's good to know the difference.

If you can try the stuff out before you buy, all the better.
The gist of my post above is that no one can tell you which grip or buttstock you will like.
If possible, try them out at the fun store before you buy.

Black Rifle shops: (maybe others can add to this ?)

Curt's in Milwaukie
Limitless in Washougal
Sporting Systems in Vancouver (not sure if they do "parts")

More parts then the rest of shops, combined.

I want everyone here to know how much I appreciate the input/suggestions. It's given me many points at which to start.
Picked up my Upper today - PSA 16" mid-length pencil stainless steel, and she's a beauty! I chose the LaRue Tactical MBT 2s Trigger and am awaiting its arrival.
I'm ready to push the "purchase" button on the Magpul MOE Slim Line Carbine Stock and the Anderson Stock Hardware Kit but I have a question for y'all regarding the lower parts kit sans trigger/grip. I'm seeing prices ranging from $9 to $24 to $36 and up. A bit concerned that with the cheaper kits things may be out of spec?
I'm hoping to purchase the kit from Primary Arms along with my stock; hardware kit & mag. I did check on Palmetto State Armory and that is a no-go.
I'll be checking back as I can't wait to push that button!

Wifey

I want everyone here to know how much I appreciate the input/suggestions. It's given me many points at which to start.
Picked up my Upper today - PSA 16" mid-length pencil stainless steel, and she's a beauty! I chose the LaRue Tactical MBT 2s Trigger and am awaiting its arrival.
I'm ready to push the "purchase" button on the Magpul MOE Slim Line Carbine Stock and the Anderson Stock Hardware Kit but I have a question for y'all regarding the lower parts kit sans trigger/grip. I'm seeing prices ranging from $9 to $24 to $36 and up. A bit concerned that with the cheaper kits things may be out of spec?
I'm hoping to purchase the kit from Primary Arms along with my stock; hardware kit & mag. I did check on Palmetto State Armory and that is a no-go.
I'll be checking back as I can't wait to push that button!

Wifey
LPK's with no FCG or grip that I would use...

Spike's
Aero Precision
CMMG
Brownell's

There may be a couple others, but those come mind.
The Spike's actually comes with an upgraded grip.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top