JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife told me that she is ready to deer hunt. So I need a rifle for her. First I am looking for caliber options then make and model. So for now caliber. She likes to shoot my 25-06 at the range, but I fear it may be a little long for her (5'4") to carry around all day, and then be expected to hold shooting in standing position. So I was thinking something shorter action, defiantly shorter barrel. When I was a kid I shot 243, but I am a believer in the smaller the rifle the more skill the shooter needs. That got me thinking 308. That is where I am now.
Anything good or bad, about the 308 for a beginning hunter? Any other suggested calibers?

By the way.... YaHoooo! I just got a hunting partner for life Yo! I am stoked!!!

A friend outfitted his wife with a Ruger M77 Ultra Light.
She has an aversion to heavy recoil, so the .257 Roberts light recoil is a plus, and, it's a very accurate cartridge.
Here are some facts concerning Ruger models in this caliber.

"Ruger offers customers two bolt action models chambered for the .257 Roberts, the M77 Mark II Ultra Light and the M77 Hawkeye Standard.
Functionally they are the same, quantifiably they are a bit different, aesthetically, each has it's own subtle personality touches"

Rifle
M77 Ultra Light

Caliber.257 Roberts
Capacity 4 Rounds
Finish Blued - Gloss
Stock Walnut
Pull 13⅝
Barrel Length 20"
Twist 1:10" RH
Overall Length 40⅝
Weight Lbs. 6¾ (6½)
Metallic Sights None

M77 Standard
Caliber .257 Roberts
Capacity 4 Rounds
Stock Walnut
Finish Blued Matte
Barrel Length 22"
Pull 13⅝
Twist 1:10" RH
Overall Length 42 3/4
Weight Lbs. 7½ (7¼)
Metallic Sights None

Last Edited:
My wife deer hunts with a Winchester model 70 Featherweight 257 Roberts and elk hunts with a Ruger tang safety M77 .280 rem with a cut down stock. Since then she has taking a liking to my 308 and 6mm rem. There are a lot of options out there. Find something that fits her comfortably and she will be good to go. Be careful letting her shoot your guns, almost every new gun I get she tries to lay claim on it. I guess it is better than her getting mad at me for buying them.

I am going to get a 7mm-08 for my young son and wife (she is barely over 5ft). Been looking at the Savage youth models. Just have yet to find ANY 7mm-08 youth models anywhere locally to touch and hold etc...

My immediate thought was .243 or 7mm-08. Both rifles and ammunition are easy to source in many configurations and price range and both will do a number on deer. I like the .257 Roberts, but it has poor availability, poor selection and frankly I am not a fan of the .25 caliber bullet. Regarding rifle recommendations, it's going to depend on price range, but I'd start by suggesting a Ruger American Compact. Adjustable trigger, solid bedding system and the one a friend purchased was sub-MOA out of the box. If you're looking for something nicer, then you really can't go wrong with any modern rifle. Remington, Winchester, Savage, Ruger or Tikka/Sako. Savage has their "Lady Hunter" line which is a good looking guns, suppose to be more suited to the female body type and size. I have never seen one, let alone shot one, so I really can't speak for it.

Ruger gunsite has length of pull spacers for adjustment and is .308.

It has a decent kick but it's not too bad and is a lot smaller gun to lug around and hold.

I love mine.

I haven't yet. And I should.

I have a feeling this year she will be carrying my 25-06. She is a great shot with it. That or my dad's .243, which she has yet to shoot, but we will be at the range this weekend.

What?!
Is she taking you for pedicures?

Hunting is a time for a man to be with men doing manly things, talking trash about their wives.

With all that said, I think it's great when couples can do things together and build their relationship stronger. Congrats man.

Check out a Ruger Compact, now known as a Hawkeye Compact in 7mm-08. Great rifle for smaller shooters. Less recoil than a 308, but will do the job on deer and elk nicely. (Think modern version of 7mmx57)
Bought one for my wife several years ago. Put a 2-7x33 Leupold on it. She loves it.

FINAL DECISION MADE!!!

I ended up with a weatherby vanguard youth in 7mm-08. Took it out last week, and got it broke in with some 140 gr pills. Shoots pretty good. Will have to to work up a load after this season.

If you are going to handload, look at powders on the faster end of the "scale". That Weatherby has a 20" barrel, I believe, which is longer that my wife's Ruger Compact, but it's still kinda short and will probably benefit from a faster powder. I used RL15 for the best results.

If you are going to handload, look at powders on the faster end of the "scale". That Weatherby has a 20" barrel, I believe, which is longer that my wife's Ruger Compact, but it's still kinda short and will probably benefit from a faster powder. I used RL15 for the best results.
How does the Ruger Compact shoot with that really short barrel? I have a very small framed niece that we have been trying to find a rifle for.

How does the Ruger Compact shoot with that really short barrel? I have a very small framed niece that we have been trying to find a rifle for.

I'm 6'1" and 270. It kicks pretty good but not overwhelmingly. I use 2 of the 3 spacers as my preference. Mine is insanely accurate out to 200 yards with old milsurp ammo and cheaper hunting ammo. I've not shot it past that yet but think I could get another couple hundred out of it if I had too with some tweeking. (I'm happy with it as is).

At 100 yards I was shooting 3 shot groups where the edges of the bullet holes were touching the other 2.

I just picked up some RL15, as it apparently will fit the bill for both the Nosler and Barnes 150 gr bullets I picked up this weekend. Thanks for the input.

It all depends on who's shooting it!
I'm no slouch at shooting a rifle, but it's just too darn small for me. I'm not a big guy (5'9", 155lbs) but I am kinda "lanky". My wife, however isn't very tall, probably about 5'3" (you can bet your a$$ I'm not even gonna talk about her weight!:D) is very comfortable shooting it and does better with it than about any other rifle she's shot. She also has a Savage 99 in .243 that's cut down to fit her and she's better with this Ruger, even though the 243 kicks less.
I'd recommend looking at the Hawkeye Compact as they don't make the 77MKII any more, or even the American Compact. There's also a small Savage that's similar. The 7mm-08 is very capable and doesn't kick too hard. Noticeably less than a 308 in the same package.
Buy the gun to fit the person. That's something you'll never regret.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top