JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We're lucky to live near Ward's Auctions in Salem and they're who I told my wife to call if she needs to sell after I'm gone. They handle all guns, but also all the cool old ammo and loading tools I also have. So she wont need to worry about selling guns to one place, and other accessories to another place.
I haven't sold through them, but I have talked with them and given them assistance on gun descriptions when they needed some clarity on a old rifle. So I feel comfortable that they're good people and they seem to get decent prices also.

Many guys have to ask their wives permission to buy a gun.
I have heard a number of excuses from married men that their wives won't let them buy a new gun or they have to ask the wives before they can buy and she would say, No! Is it because you have too many already? Or she rather you spent the money on her instead? Or she don't want to deal with all the gun stuff after you die? Or you spending all your time playing with your guns and not with her? Or she know that you are financially irresponsible and spending hard earned money on guns and not saving your money? Or she's concerned about gun safety with chidren in the house? And What else?
Usually because she keeps track of the finances instead of our lazy asses. She knows what's in the bank and where it needs to go.

When I took up with my first wife, I told her to never try to come between me and my firearms. She was good with that as her Dad and brother kept guns and hunted. When we did divorce, my collection went untouched. I have always made it a point to keep the greater part of my "selection" private and unknown to my lady friends. When I tread the dark path, the old woman will have some surprises, lol, especially if she gets my safe open....

0309b72471782b95d4dc1cf05fff4dcd73fad5ccbd1318b9_1.jpg

It isn't just guns.
I know someone that has bike parts sent to the neighbors to keep his wife from finding out.

My wife doesn't ask permission to to buy another purse.
I don't ask permission to buy what I want.

I do frown upon CC purchases though.
I don't like to hustle to get it paid off.
If I'm doing that I'd rather just sock it away in the safe till I have enough to get what I'm after.

2 years in a row my wife handed me a large wad of cash, spend as you like, 1st year $800. new Ruger MK IV 2nd year $1000. new Winchester m70 & new scope. she learned her lesson and doesn't do that anymore.

2 years in a row my wife handed me a large wad of cash, spend as you like, 1st year $800. new Ruger MK IV 2nd year $1000. new Winchester m70 & new scope. she learned her lesson and doesn't do that anymore.
I view those actions with extreme suspicion. Mrs tac and I have shared a single bank account since a week after we got married in September 1971. She could no more hand me a bunch of money I don't know about than fly across the room.

I view those actions with extreme suspicion. Mrs tac and I have shared a single bank account since a week after we got married in September 1971. She could no more hand me a bunch of money I don't know about than fly across the room.
it was from income tax returns and yes i knew where it came from. she also spent her 1/2 as she wished.

I can imagine a number of reasons some combined:
  • She doesn't like guns generally
  • You micromanage her purchases so she does the same to you in a tit for tat fashion
  • She runs the books and knows you don't have the self control to take care of what NEEDS to be taken care of before satisfying the wants
  • You run the books and are responsible about taking care of the NEEDS first, but haven't done a good job helping her understand the situation so she objects out of uncertainty.
I think generally if a couple is aligned on the overarching long and medium term goals (lifestyle, retirement, quality of life, etc), and tactically disciplined in executing to those strategic financial goals. then a few guns here and there that you both know you can afford (and a few whatever she likes here and there too) then probably less issues, less friction. My $0.02

We're lucky to live near Ward's Auctions in Salem and they're who I told my wife to call if she needs to sell after I'm gone. They handle all guns, but also all the cool old ammo and loading tools I also have. So she wont need to worry about selling guns to one place, and other accessories to another place.
I haven't sold through them, but I have talked with them and given them assistance on gun descriptions when they needed some clarity on a old rifle. So I feel comfortable that they're good people and they seem to get decent prices also.
I would not use them, I had a friend sell his collection through them and lost alot of value. 3 sten gun kits were labeled as "misc gun parts". I also believe that it's unethical for an auction company or its staff to be able to bid on items.
He had some cool stuff and could have gotten better prices at a pawn shop. My wife knows under no circumstances to use Wards.

Last Edited:
For our household, it's kind of a large purchase. Each of us would not consider making a purchase like that without consulting the other (except maybe at Christmas time). It's not about asking permission, it's about mutually agreeing on the financial priorities of our household. I'm sure to many people, making a random $400-$1500 purchase (investment) is not a big deal, but to us, it is.

Last Edited:
Always been a non-issue for us. Our finances have been mixed since "I do" and we're open about everything, money matters or otherwise. She's never had an issue with my firearms acquisitions, nor have I of hers. Big ticket items, including some firearms-related, are always talked through ahead of time though. So, no worries. :)

Every time the wife gets another dog, I get a new motorcycle, or 10 guns. Or both.
Told mine its dog x 1.5.
What she spends on dog I get 1-½ to spend on guns. I've made some wise purchases not to mention $300 every four months for the dogs to get groomed lands heavily in my favor.

We've got her's, mine and ours accounts. Shes got a real job with direct deposit in her account, mine is the business account and ours is direct deposit for my SS and VA checks. She takes care of the household bills and grocery's, I run my business out of the business account where guns are bought as test fixtures for the ammo business. She does our taxes so sees the guns purchased and writes them off as a business expenses. And our account is where the morgage is paid out of and we save for bigger ticket items like vacations, car/truck tires home projects and the like.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top