JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So talking with the wife over the last few months and trying to get her more into shooting and FA's in general.....She's gone out shooting and likes it because I do...even though she's a great shot; she does really care, just likes spending time with me (who knew) and I tell her all guns are ours but I want her to have her "own."

She doesn't understand because she says why can't I just use one of yours (she thinks their all mine even though her dad has given her two {and I told her I bought 2 for her}) again back to the understanding and involvement.....she could prob fig out what ammo goes in what magazine and then get in to the proper fiream (I keep the .300BO away from everything else just for this reason). Most of our calibers are standardized and ammo either wont work in another gun, mags wont work, etc, but I digress not worried about all that, right now.

BACK ON TOPIC - So in trying to understand what she likes and to get her more interested I ask what type of gun would you like to be yours, she said "you know....like cowboys use" .... So again I go off in my gun mind and start thinking revolvers lever actions and coach guns.......I was only partially right.....I randomly came across someones picture of their wooden AR (on here) a few weeks ago and ask the Mrs....."you mean like this kind of cowboy gun?" she said....."I like the wood" (yes thats what she said! :eek::rolleyes::p). So I started showing her any guns with wooden furniture....regardless of time period, make or model.......but she seemed more interested in the anodized wooden revolvers...

So where do I go from here? This is more of a range gun than anything else....I want her to have fun and enjoy shooting what she wants to shoot.... not just run her through the drills and just spend time outdoors, but find that passion we all have for guns and shooting (some more than others of course). I could get her something in .45 ACP or .45lc or .38 or other but even though she can handle it she really liked the (wooden stock of course) 10/22 with a optic that is double the price of the gun.....she doesn't care.... she had fun and I loved showing her how her groups were better than mine (which she says just luck....."thanks hunny":confused:). She's shot for 4 years I've shot for 25+

So I'm wondering if I keep with the 10/22 practice and buy her something like the EAA Bounty Hunter in .22LR & Mag? Not looking to spend a ton, esp if she doesn't like it but trying to strike that cord with her....Just remember no stainless and no plastic :oops:

Thanks for your help guys and gals!:D

MC1

I bought guns for my wife at first.

Then I learned to let her pick them for herself.

Her favorites are her Glock 19 and the lever 357 that she claims is hers. She didn't take to ARs that much though I built one for her, again I did it FOR her, which was probably why. She did like rotting it to distances up to 400 yards more than closer targets.

I think the interactive targets were the best way to get her to enjoy shooting, she loves the dueling tree and the lever gun.

Last Edited:
My wife will occasionally shoot with me, and she enjoys shooting steel plates with my Glock 17, but TBH I think she could take it or leave it. I don't push her towards it, because frankly I have just as much fun shooting with my friends. Just because I like something doesn't mean I need her to like it as well. And vice-versa. :)

I went through the same thing with my wife, she only went to spend time with me and because I enjoyed it. I tried to get her more interested by getting her something she would like to shoot. She said she wanted a "girly" gun, so I bought her a pink Ruger SR22. I found out that by "girly", she meant "shiny", then said she always wanted a cowboy gun. Next came the Colt new frontier in stainless, and her eyes lit up. She wanted a rifle like her wood stock daisy, so next was a 10/22, not thinking that the daisy was a lever action. She now absolutely loves her Henry lever 22. (She relates guns with Cowboys i guess). But now, she is excited to go shooting with me, and I think the interactive targets are a big part of it instead of paper. We have a bunch of spinning rimfire targets, cowbells and a dueling tree that keeps it fun. Now I'm the one thats done and waiting for her to finish up the ammo every time.

You just have to give her the money and say it can only be spent on a gun any gun she wants and she will go shopping they love shopping ten or twenty trips to the store she might find one she likes lol

I say if she doesn't like it I mean just shooting all together you should at least get her a gun she does like to shoot like a defense gun and make a deal .ok if you shoot your defense gun for two hours a month I will go watch a chick flick movie once a month lol give and take . HEHEE

Ok it's difficult to sit outside and make a recommndation so what I do is tell you the characteristics of a women to help you in a decision. Rifles should be short and light and don't recoil enough to hurt her. Something that shoots straight without a huge muzzle blast and fits her eyes to shoot, sights are important. Gun can't pinch her in loading or unloading and should be simple.

Women require things to look good because looking good got you and that's the way women live. She likes wood because its' furniture that shines and reflects value while plastics look cheap. They love color case hardening or nickel and stainless over black ugly guns. They would buy a gun like they would wear it as good looking clothes. Nice grips on a handgun are like pretty shoes:D

Not every woman is the same but ya they have a great deal in common.

Gun suggestions in 22lr would be any Browning as they have beautiful wood in a rifle, they are not heavy and easy to operate.

45 colt or 357 or 44 mag I would look at a nice winchester with the case harden look and nice wood in the trapper size rifle.

Just show her these guns and get an idea of her real wants, I think there is a 44 trapper in the classifieds with case harden look.

Good luck and I was married over 40 years and that's where I get my opinion.

Some women just do not like racking a slide.
Since your wife already has wheel gun love, I'd stay with that.

A S&W K frame in .38 special would be nice.
Ruger has some nice wheel gun offerings as well.
A 22LR trainer in the same frame would be very useful.

BF710133-7413-452F-8C6C-CFD14F462ADD.jpeg I have a Browning Black Label 1911 in .380 acp. I've changed the grips, but it is possible to buy it with wood. I have posted mine. This model is 85% the size of a full size. It has night sights and a 4.25 inch barrel. It comes with a shorter barrel if you want it. Mag holds 8. Thumb safety and grip safety. It is a dream to shoot. It also comes in .22LR which is even easier to shoot. I love mine and it's a great fit to my slightly smaller female hands. You can see what grips come with it at the Browning site. I found my Zombie grips on ebay. I prefer black guns, but I think stainless may be available for the slide.

It's the same thing we do with cars isn't it? At least I do. I pick 3 cars/trucks and let her choose of those 3. That way she feels like she got to choose but it was from my pre determined list!

"Pick the color of Dodge charger V8 honey."

Guns are little different but it's pretty similar? Full size truck = S&W .500 but hatch back kia? .380 pocket pistol. I'm spit balling but you get the idea, ha!

Thats exactly what I was trying to do....now she is looking out of my knowledge base .....and I was trying to get her back in the corral.......barn door is now open......Gonna be exciting.....she chose a .45-70 earlier b/c of the look.....she said what do the numbers mean....is it like the 1886.....:eek:

43690.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR