JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm I even close to being correct that there seems to be a blue grip on SS and a more traditionally black with wood? If so, which and why?
I would not let my wife pick out hand tools for me! Why would I pick out her tools? DR
That's too bad. My Wife and I know each other with great intimacy. She's very aware of tools i drool over. Or, guns I'd love to have. I've designed her jewelry and we have always enjoyed each others gifts. A gift from either one of us to each other is a cherished memory of a life time. You sound like a true friend of ^^^ juvenile delinquent.
I don't blame her. I don't like small guns either. Women should have full size guns that are enjoyable to shoot and seriously intimidating in case they ever have to point it at someone. High intimidation factor enhances the odds of ending attack without having to shoot bad guy. Only very big guys should have dinky little popguns. Guys big enough so that if they ever hafta point the popgun at a bad guy, after bad guy laughs at gun and tries to take it away and shove it up their hooha, they can win the hand-to-hand battle and save hooha.
We had a friend in another state who was a State Trouper. She qualified with her "Pink" Glock. She got into it with an idiot who started to tease her about her "Pink: gun [stomper?] She ended shooting him. It was ruled a good shoot but she no longer carries a pink gun.
I would not let my wife pick out hand tools for me! Why would I pick out her tools? DR

You could be really nice and go....

Wilson
Night Hawk
STi

Or other 1911.

CZ has the TSO and Shadow 2, not 1911 but similar.

She I us asking for a gun get best out there you can afford, keep her happy.

one has had some growing pains (the DW).
What is wrong with the DW? I admit my DWs (9mms) are super tight and require more shooting to break in.
Its a bit tight, slide doesn't lock to the rear on the last round. It's not the magazines. Thinking its the super-stiff detent spring.
For my DWs, it locks no problem but I cannot shoot reloads yet, even after some 600 rounds, as it does not go into full battery or the gun "seizes."
Please, not meaning to de-rail thread, just some observations on DW pistols.
Their is a fine line between "tight" and "too tight", and DW strays over the line sometimes.
DW also recommends a 500 rd. count for break-in, cleaning every 50 rds. and using the oil that they specify in the owners manual, (FP10?).
They also use pretty tight chambers, and I've had to run a lot of my reloads back thru a die, getting the taper crimp down to the ~.468 to get them to run without problems.
DW shapes that little nub that the mag follower hits after the last round a bit different than Colt, and sometimes the 8 round Wilson mags, (47D,) won't lift the slide stop.
The 47D mags use a thin/weak follower which easily distorts and can sometimes ride-up on the edge of the slide stop without lifting it.
The 7 round Wilson, (47,) has a much better, more rigid follower and works better,, as do mags with metal followers, like the Checkmates.
Mine own DW required hours of work, using 400>1,000 grit abrasive paper to smooth the rails on slide and frame, and get rid of the sharp edges, (oil will not stick to a sharp edge).
Don't use thin oils like Rem Oil, use something with some body to it, you can use expensive stuff like FP10,, or a full synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1.
Mobil 1 also has a motorcycle transmission oil in 50 weight that works great, and doesn't run off like the thinner stuff.
With DWs, lots of oil.
Ok, back to regular programming :)

That's too bad. My Wife and I know each other with great intimacy. She's very aware of tools i drool over. Or, guns I'd love to have. I've designed her jewelry and we have always enjoyed each others gifts. A gift from either one of us to each other is a cherished memory of a life time.

Me too. My wife has given me guns, and I loved and cherished both the guns and her. She gave me a Ruger Bearcat for xmas one year, quite the nice surprise and it hung on my backpack belt for many years as well as a bunch of great target shooting. AND, I bought a bunch of gemstones from a friend that was working in Brazil, got some jewelers tools and books/catalogs, ordered the settings for earrings/pendants/ring and made her some really nice jewelry that she adores. Made some for other family members too. Can't never go wrong with jewelry!!!

Or a GC. One of my buddies was a pistol instructor and armorer (Marine) and loved his Gold Cups. This was back in the 70s, so I don't know what vintage they were, and don't know anything about the new GCs.

You sound like a true friend of ^^^ juvenile delinquent.

Ouch.

We had a friend in another state who was a State Trouper. She qualified with her "Pink" Glock. She got into it with an idiot who started to tease her about her "Pink: gun [stomper?] She ended shooting him. It was ruled a good shoot but she no longer carries a pink gun

Double ouch.

I wanted to build an AR for my daughter on her 40th birthday. Figured I'd get her one of the Polymer80 lowers that was on sale and it would be a fun project. I knew they had some in diff colors and I figured she'd want pink. Called her and asked what color would be her fav, and she said a light purple. Wow, they don't make that color. I got a pink lower, and then Duracoated it and all the furniture. She's a good shot and don't take crap from anybody. So far, nobody's given her grief.

IMO, get her what she wants!!!

With DWs, lots of oil.

With ALL 1911s, lots of oil.

Many 1911 shooters/owners make this mistake. They "think" the gun is too tight or defective somehow, but it's probably just dry. When I switched from a .40 EIA Witness to my Para P14, it was having problems during USPSA matches until a Grand Master clued me in that 1911s were designed to run wet. No problems since then and many 150rd matches under the belt.

I prefer synthetic for a match gun, but flouropolymer grease (such as Tetra or other) works well on a carry gun.

She would pick one that is out of stock everywhere you look.
There is one on GunBroker right now, but it just passed $2,200 with only 23 hrs to go.

until a Grand Master clued me in that 1911s were designed to run wet.
Yep. Whenever my 1911 slide seems to feel a 'little' dry I give the rails a quick cleaning, a line of Tetra grease in the grooves and back at it.

I know I previously mentioned the Series 70 GCNM I once had and the problems I experienced with it but I have often thought about it and I think some of the issues were my fault.

Lack of experience with 1911s at the time, (along with loading .45 ACP ammo) and other 'basic' 1911 idiosyncrasies I probably overlooked were most of it.

With ALL 1911s, lots of oil.
Totally true, and I've posted such before.
I was trying to be more specific, as DWs are noted many times in other forums as being "on the edge" of "too tight" and the stainless guns have an established history of galling problems, more so than many other makes.
They are precision built with high quality parts, and when well broken in make excellent pistols for CCW and range toys.
But, they would not be my first choice to use on a deployment to Afghanistan, where I might have to depend upon a pistol that might have sand and dirt in it at the wrong time.
If you want a 1911 for a "battle gun", in dirty field conditions, (what they were designed for,) you want a fairly loose gun that rattles a bit when you shake it.

Totally true, and I've posted such before.
I was trying to be more specific, as DWs are noted many times in other forums as being "on the edge" of "too tight" and the stainless guns have an established history of galling problems, more so than many other makes.
They are precision built with high quality parts, and when well broken in make excellent pistols for CCW and range toys.
But, they would not be my first choice to use on a deployment to Afghanistan, where I might have to depend upon a pistol that might have sand and dirt in it at the wrong time.
If you want a 1911 for a "battle gun", in dirty field conditions, (what they were designed for,) you want a fairly loose gun that rattles a bit when you shake it.

I know.

My post was more of an aside. You make all good points here...

210's are single action

DEAA8D95-B943-4146-A26E-2F44AD06B04C.gif

Yep. Whenever my 1911 slide seems to feel a 'little' dry I give the rails a quick cleaning, a line of Tetra grease in the grooves and back at it.

I know I previously mentioned the Series 70 GCNM I once had and the problems I experienced with it but I have often thought about it and I think some of the issues were my fault.

Lack of experience with 1911s at the time, (along with loading .45 ACP ammo) and other 'basic' 1911 idiosyncrasies I probably overlooked were most of it.

The early Colt "Pre Gold Cup" National Match pistols had a lightened competition slide and were purposely built for light charged wad cutters.
You could do some damage to the slide by shooting full power loads, especially if you used the weaker recoil spring.
I have a 1968 Colt National Match that I have outfitted with a Colt Ace 22lr conversion slide and just lately a new old stock 70 series Colt Combat Government slide, so I can safely shoot it without worrying about permanent damage to the vintage parts.

P226 SAO Legion, my wife loves her's. Awesome trigger.

But, yeah if she has something picked out, then who are you to keep her from it? She doesn't like it she can get something else.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top