JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What happened when Obama was elected? I wasn't using either caliber, but based on what I saw on trips to BiMart the shelves were pretty bare except for 12ga. Don't know about the gun shows or larger ammo retailers. Any comments?

What happened when Obama was elected? I wasn't using either caliber, but based on what I saw on trips to BiMart the shelves were pretty bare except for 12ga. Don't know about the gun shows or larger ammo retailers. Any comments?

.380 Auto dissapeared before anything...then it seamed to be all the common callibers were gone. I would visit three different stores looking for ammo (usually Ranch & Home, WalMart, Sportsman's Warehouse, Hole-in-the-Wall) and even internet sites. What remained? All the odd-ball callibers. Seriously, the only thing left on the shelves were .44 Special, .454 Casull, .45 Long Colt, .32 ACP, 22-250, ect...I had to buy ammo for a friend in Yakima (he wanted 44 mag, which I found ONE BOX of at Big-5) so I could get some .223 from him for a range. That made me want to reload more than ever...I guess I can now that dies are starting to come back on the shelves though.

If there is a shortage (again) it will induce panic buying (again). I don't think there is a "safe calliber surplus round" out there to be honest. If 7.62x39 dried up (like if Russia decided to stop deporting it again) then you think people would just leave the .223 on the shelves? I doubt it...there were so many rumors of ammo stamping laws, I still get e-mails about the infamous HR-45, and everyone speaks for Obama to say that he will restrict guns (just you watch!).

I, for one, am sick of this fear mongering...BUY GOLD! BUY SILVER! I'm a prepper and I see the need to be prepared, but there sure is money to be had in scaring me to buy something right here and now for the price you're selling it.

Case in point: Iodide tablets. They could be had at like $12 for a bottle of 100 pills...did you see the prices soar after Japan? They're still scarce to find, especially under $20.

Just stock up in what you think you need...noboy here can predict the future or what will dry up. Take british .303...they thought that stuff would last FOREVER.

Bah, I'm beating a dead horse now...

Buy gold, buy silver... buy food insurance...

If you have bullets, you can get gold, you can get silver, and you can get food....

I now have several thousand rounds (each) of 9mm, 45acp, .223, 7.62x39, .308, 22lr, and 12ga. (in assorted loads) all organized, packed (for long term storage), and ready for immediate use... its all part of my EVIL plan to take over the Willamette valley... MUAHAHAHAHahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa...............

If you have bullets, you can get gold, you can get silver, and you can get food....

I have to stop you there...it is this mentality that scares me. People that have the guns and ammo then spend all their money on more guns and ammo thinking that is all they will ever need is a RAIDER. A raider will take what they need by force because they want what you have...if you have guns and ammo you can be able to KEEP your food and silver. I know you were joking. But to me, what is the difference? Seriously, if you know that things are getting bad and just decide that it is best to get body armor and CS grenades over fencing your yard and buying mylar bags for your rice then I hope you are the first to get shot. Seriously...you are the one-percenter of preppers/militia members that make the rest of us look bad.

Sure, the dope dealers and the crack smokers will be looting the TV stores. But the raiders will be shooting the grandmas for their grain elevator and tractors long before the Golden Hoard comes looking for food.

Am I alone in this train of thought? Seriously....does anyone else feel this way? If you know that the dollar is collapsing but chose to spend your money on crap that makes you feel better now with the intent to take what you need later, then I hope you get hit by a bus.

I have to stop you there...it is this mentality that scares me. People that have the guns and ammo then spend all their money on more guns and ammo thinking that is all they will ever need is a RAIDER. A raider will take what they need by force because they want what you have...if you have guns and ammo you can be able to KEEP your food and silver. I know you were joking. But to me, what is the difference? Seriously, if you know that things are getting bad and just decide that it is best to get body armor and CS grenades over fencing your yard and buying mylar bags for your rice then I hope you are the first to get shot. Seriously...you are the one-percenter of preppers/militia members that make the rest of us look bad.

Sure, the dope dealers and the crack smokers will be looting the TV stores. But the raiders will be shooting the grandmas for their grain elevator and tractors long before the Golden Hoard comes looking for food.

Am I alone in this train of thought? Seriously....does anyone else feel this way? If you know that the dollar is collapsing but chose to spend your money on crap that makes you feel better now with the intent to take what you need later, then I hope you get hit by a bus.

Word. I hate that mentality. My thoughts: Buy food. Buy stuff that helps you to live, then buy guns to secure the things that you have. It doesn't take a lot to defend yourself. If your house is leveled and you can only recover 1/4 of your weapons and ammo, will that really be $$ well spent if you didn't invest in some food and other prep stuffs? Its retarded and people like me will be the aiming for people like this. I have very little tolerance for this. Its right up there with the people that say "I know where I am going if something bad happens" in reference to me and what I have done to be prepared. Makes me want to punch these people in the face.

Word. I hate that mentality. My thoughts: Buy food. Buy stuff that helps you to live, then buy guns to secure the things that you have. It doesn't take a lot to defend yourself. If your house is leveled and you can only recover 1/4 of your weapons and ammo, will that really be $$ well spent if you didn't invest in some food and other prep stuffs? Its retarded and people like me will be the aiming for people like this. I have very little tolerance for this. Its right up there with the people that say "I know where I am going if something bad happens" in reference to me and what I have done to be prepared. Makes me want to punch these people in the face.

And- when we actually need to trade with one another or are just trying to communicate, it makes things worse. If you just had a bunch of raiders try to storm your place for supplies, then a week later I try to communicate with you to establish perimeter boundries- you'd be hard pressed to shoot me where I stand than to try to see what I wanted.

It's people like that that make me scared to talk about my preps and meet other "like minded individuals". That whole "I will take what I need" mentality needs to be segregated from the rest of the prepper population; otherwise we WILL be branded as "thugs" and "domestic terrorists".

Of freaking course I'm joking, and being sarcastic actually!! Sorry if that didn't translate too well on the internet.

You have to admit that if you have a good supply of bullets you can barter your "skills and stuff" for some of the things you need, put down riots/looting/raiders, and make mutually protective alliances which is going to be more than half the battle I fear. As for the food thing, we got dry staple stores like rice, pasta, flour, and bottled drinking water that we add to a little more each week, and as far as fresh meat, that's what the various rounds of ammo are for.

For the record, I'm not a "militia type" (not even close) and NEVER wear camies/BDU's except when hunting, and I despise raiders, bullies, thugs, punks, liars, and theives... and would actually risk my life to save a stranger if needed.

:s0155: :s0155:

All of it --- Once something happens everything will be secured by who ever has it.
If you do not have it when it happens - do not count on a lot afterwards.

So true sadiesassy. During the last tsunami scare, my wife and I had five different families, some with children, show up at our homestead by 5:30AM. Care to guess how many brought other than their bare essentials when they arrived? Three of the men were sent quickly back for all the provisions they could muster in the short time that they had. It was a real eye opener for them. Since that time all of them have had instructions on prepping for any natural or man made disaster at a couple of meetings held here. Most are pretty much on board with the idea that when the SHTF, they need to be far better prepared and to not depend upon others (my wife and I) to do the prepping for them. While we are able to sustain our three adult children and their children for AT LEAST six months, who by the way, also stock their own stores at their locations due to the very real possibility of being isolated, when that number was multiplied by four, it was a big gulp moment for sure.
To the OP's question, your answer is the best one.

Buy gold, buy silver... buy food insurance...

I now have several thousand rounds (each) of 9mm, 45acp, .223, 7.62x39, .308, 22lr, and 12ga. (in assorted loads) all organized, packed (for long term storage), and ready for immediate use... its all part of my EVIL plan to take over the Willamette valley... MUAHAHAHAHahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa...............

From the looks of this thread, I would have this 2 cents to toss into the fray. I personally get what you meant Stomper. Yea, it never translates well over this type of medium, but the underlying point is well taken. The Bangers, Thugs, Raiders, & Dope Slamming fools will find life very difficult if they should show up at my door step. Or my neighbors or friends places as well for that matter. If for some reason fecal matter should hit the osculating device in large quantities, weather man made or natural, CHAOS will ensue!! That is a fact that can't be argued. The level of the Chaos and its duration will directly be related to the perceived level or destruction or collapse etc... . IF things were to totally go to feces, even your neighbor will eventually look at you and those that have prepared for disaster, for those things which they have run out of. Weather that be food, ammo, medical supplies and the like. He will first ask you for supplies, then he'll try stealing some, and lastly he'll kill you for them! It's the law of nature and survival! You must first and foremost be able to protect what you have. But don't make the mistake of limiting to bullets and weapons. Food, water, medical, cooking, alternate fuels, the list goes on and on when it comes to good preparation. The best thing we all can do for ourselves is to try to get those around us, family, friends & neighbors, to get a prepared as they can given their individual abilities and financial situations.

I encourage those that have come to this forum to get together in your perspective areas and work together to help each other out to be prepared. I for one am open to anyone wishing to meet up in my area for such a thing. The sharing of info and ideas will go a long way in helping each other and those around us be prepared.

May your aim be true and your powder kept dry!

Back to the OP, I agree with others, common calibers will go first. And what there is the most back stock of is what will last the longest on the shelves. It's the supply chain and not necessarily the popularity of the caliber that will make it unavailable. There may be no 223 on the shelf but there could be millions of rounds sitting in a warehouse in Nevada that just can't get here. It's not like stores get their years supply of ammo in one shot and peddle it throughout the year. I'm in the industry and it's interesting to me to see stuff ebb and flow on the wholesale side even now. IMHO there will never be a better time to buy than right now. Supply is currently outpacing demand and prices are dropping, at least here in the NW. Commodities are readily available too, primers, powder, etc.

Although I see the logic in stocking up on common stuff, stock up on calibers you own dependable weapons for first. I have been narrowing my caliber list for awhile and still have trouble with things like 22 mag due to the fact you can't reload it, but it's relatively cheap and very practical for many purposes. I own a 7.62x39 bolt gun because it makes the most sense for harvesting game if those are the only rounds I can find. But I try to stick to the basics like 223 and 308 and 9mm and, and, and... the list still seems too long to try and focus on a few calibers. I did decide that for me there was no use in stocking up on 30-06 or 270 or 243. I can do anything I need to with a 308, and I can load those projectiles in a 7.62x39 as well.

But as it also has been said, get your food/water/shelter sorted out first! I was lopsided for a long time because I went down the wrong path at first. I made a few expensive purchases that would have been better served in the basics. And you think the price of ammo has been high in the past, wait until you see what food does in the coming months!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top