JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't yell at a bear without a gun in hand.

I.E., don't take a knife to a bear fight.

You ain't Davy Crockett.
During the commercial fishing season on Alaska's Bristol Bay, my friend Chris was grilling salmon on an outdoor barbecue. Suddenly a big Brown bear poked his head around the corner of the cabin to see what's cooking. Chris fired a .45 in the general direction of the bear, well over his head. The bear's immediate response was to come full speed around the corner, jaws chomping. Doubtless he enjoyed the barbecued salmon, although Chris didn't stay around to find out.

The risk of dying from a bear attack inside your own home is low, but never zero.
Yea, it's likely low because the odds of ending up with a bear in your house is pretty low. But once the bear is there...and especially if Yogi has crashed through a window already to get to you...I would say your odds of dying from a bear attack inside your home increases significantly.

Last Edited:
5052797091_cbe02fe21d.jpg

1653409932410.png
1653409620950.png

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Yea, it's likely low because the odds of ending up with a bear in your house in pretty low. But once the bear is there...and especially if Yogi has crashed through a window already to get to you...I would say your odds of dying from a bear attack inside your home increases significantly.
I had a fox in my house once
Few years later I noticed it was a bear

Or those of us who are slow and tend to take a comment like that literally instead of metaphorically.
One of the rare beauties of this particular forum is that there's such a wide variety of life experiences and personalities that surface in the comments. Besides the fun firearms talk, there's humor, philosophy, political insights, and shared life experiences. As a group of strangers, we've made common discoveries by actively engaging with nature and it wild creatures. In so doing, we've had to face and overcome our own limitations. This isn't book learning. It's the real deal.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top