JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Problem is, given current Oregon laws, our doctor can have our guns confiscated, and many doctors probably think a gun only endangers the owner. And if you mouth off the doctor might consider that aggressiveness that warrants confiscating your guns. If any doctor asks me about guns I'm gonna say I don't have any.

Ill say, "you're fired". And get a new doctor.

As an LEO, I spar with doctors and nurses constantly. They always want to "help". I'll bring some guy into the ER to examine an immediately hazardous medical condition. As soon as they talk about anything chronic, I shut it down. I'm not going to sit there all night as some drugged-out idiot tries to get free healthcare on my departments dime. Then, the doctor or nurse doesn't want to give me information because of HIPPA. I keep a copy of the part that makes me exempt to it in my vest. They try to get me to not disclose medical information. I remind them I'm NOT a covered entity and will tell EVERY LEO/EMT/Firefighter, before they come in contact with the guy who has HIV, Hep C, MRSA, etc.

Many medical people love to mindphuq people into fitting into their view of the world. Not me.

Last Edited:
I suppose it also depends upon your doctor and his office staff. This is SW OR USA. Different culture. My personal MD hunts Elk every fall. He has guns at his small ranch. Once I forgot to take off my CC handgun. It just got laid on the table in the exam room. No big deal but please do not do it again.

The office is supposed to be a weapons free zone. Legal sign posted outside the door. However .... I will not tell everybody that it is Cave Junction. Precautions have been taken. That is about all I know about it. So far I have not seen any questionnaires asking about guns in the house or home. So far so good.

i tossed mine in the round file in front of them. Then the nurse started asking . I asked what does this have to do with my health. she had a tizy fit and and replied with a stupid leftist response .Now the nurse ask questions with key ones planted in between ones you would expect to be asked.Some of them were very concerning. If a patient flat refused to play ball could they be denied service ?

Many insurances started paying for "quality of care" by requiring screening for mental health issues and drug and alcohol issues regularly (among many other things) They used to pay everyone the same and in order to make more money they instituted crap like this so that they can pay those who jump through the hoops the same as before and everyone who does not do these questionnaires less.

Screening for depression is fine but it is mostly insurance companies and medicare that determine what happens at a visit now, not the doctor or you.

Just a few things that you will see done at a visit that were not the idea of physicians. Every time we dont do all of these we get paid less than we used to.

1. Chief complaint (medicare - even if you have no problems you have to have a complaint)
2. Pain scale 0-10 every visit (started by purdue pharma who makes oxycontin)
3. Problem list, medication list, allergy list every visit (Patient centered medical home requirements PCMH)
4. Smoking status (Uniform Data submission quality data)
5. Weight and BMI and counseling for being overweight (UDS)
6. Depression screening ( PHQ-2 or PHQ - 9 forms - UDS)
7. Colon cancer screening for approprate age (UDS)
8. Cervical cancer screening ( UDS)
9. Documentation of Personal clinician assigned (PCMH)
10. Advanced care directives discussed (PCMH)
11. Risk / complexity level every 90 days (PCMH)
12. Care plan created with patient every 90 days (PCMH)
13. Care plan provided to patient every 90 days (PCMH)
14 Self management goals every 90 days (PCMH)
15. Discussed barriers to care every 90 days (PCMH)
16. Assessed medication understanding every 90 days (PCMH)
17. Assessed medication response every 90 days (PCMH)
18. Counseled on healthy behaviors every 90 days (PCMH)
19. Rate your health question
20. Pain assessment if pain score >0 (several more questions here
21. Anxiety screening (GAD-2 - UDS)
22. Food insecurity screening
23. Patient learning and verbal needs
24. Infectious disease and travel history questions (6 questions)
25. Drug and alcohol screening (UDS)
26. NEW FOR 2018 (Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation)
27. Screening question for physical or emotional abuse at home
28. The following must be documented every visit (meaningful use of electronic medical records)
- Date of birth, sex, race, ethnicity, language, preferred contact
- vitals : height, weight, BMI, BP
- Smoking status
- Problems documented and updated
- Meds documented and updated
- Allergies documented and updated
- Clinical visit summary printed
- Patient web portal login generated
29. There might be some insurances who want problems coded by another physician at another time to be reviewed (this gets more money to the insurance company, not to us)

If any of these are positive (depression, alcohol abuse) we are supposed to document intervention.

There are some duplicates because we have to document them in separate places.

All that is supposed to take place in a 15 minute visit regardless of the reason you are there.
So if you only get 2 forms at the beginning of the visit, you got off light.

All brought to you by government (medicare) and private insurance companies working together to make physicians commit suicide.

20 years ago our pediatrician asked if we had firearms in our home and did we know the danger they posed to our children. I asked if she had seen the latest numbers on malpractice and avoidable medical deaths and how those numbers compared to firearms related deaths. She was not amused. ;)
That is fantastic. Im going to use that.

I moved here from CA in 93. Remember when they made all 'assault weapon' owners felons by ownership unless they registered with the DOJ? Well, I was mister 'don't break the law' and registered my HK94, ar15 etc etc. They told people that info would go NOWHERE but the DOJ.

Two months later the Santa Cruz police came to my door and named my guns, asking to see them. I was shocked speechless. I have always supported law enforcement. Always appreciated and often helped officers at times. Ive actually had two different cops back in crowds and they let me and thanked me. This though---too much. I sked if they had a warrant. They said no. I said: "I sold all my guns and you guys get the hell off my property and don't come back" then slammed the door. My wife said "Oh God what did you do?" They never came back. It may sound crazy, but it was one of my major reasons for leaving that insane state. Im just sorry that a bunch of CA liberals followed me up here to turn us into mini California. I think years later I read that only 15,000 people out of millions registered their 'horrible war weapons'

If a patient flat refused to play ball could they be denied service ?
Nope.

Now, if it was nothing emergent, pending what you said and did, you could be trespassed.

I am curious what was so concerning though. I am a psych nurse so I usually ask the most concerning questions band frankly most of us would pass with flying colors.

As has been said before, just say no. There is no problem with that.

My Doc discusses Friearms with me almost every time I see him. Last time was how he was thinking about buying another handgun and what did I think of a couple of revolvers he was considering.

Every time I go to the doctors office, the second thing I say [after identifying myself] is that 'all the information you have on me is still current.'

About 8 or so years ago, i was told this was going start happening, within 3 months of when i first was told about it, i was asked by 2 different Dr's at 2 different locations. When i posted what went on, i was almost called a liar. But, its a fact, i haven't been asked as of lately, but, if i am, i'll just reverse it on them, and start asking private/personal questions of them.

When my doctor found out I was a shooter he proceeded to panhandle 22lr ammo for his Boy Scout troop.

Old post but still relevant.

Just got the message from my doctor that I needed to fill out a questionnaire before my annual physical. Filled out all of it.

The English language is complicated. Exact wording is important. If they asked about firearms, the answer would have been different.

Screenshot_20200124-110613_Gmail.jpg

I was admitted to the hospital Tuesday night. Triage nurse asked a few questions, one was do you feel safe in your home?

Now the smart azz me had a few responses lined up, but I decided to let them go. Hell, yes I feel safe in my home, I have enough guns and equipment to stand off a small army.

That was it. But this is cowboy country (except for the liberal Bend), so no references were made to guns. Now in the valley, it is a major inquisition. Which I usually lie through my teeth at.

I was admitted to the hospital Tuesday night. Triage nurse asked a few questions, one was do you feel safe in your home?

Now the smart azz me had a few responses lined up, but I decided to let them go. Hell, yes I feel safe in my home, I have enough guns and equipment to stand off a small army.

That was it. But this is cowboy country (except for the liberal Bend), so no references were made to guns. Now in the valley, it is a major inquisition. Which I usually lie through my teeth at.
I got asked a similar question when I had hernia surgery. I wanted to give a smart bubblegum answer as well, so I told them my wife beat me. My derisive laughter didn't clue them into my sarcasm, and I ended up having to explain that I was joking.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top