JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dead on! There is a very eye opening vid out on youtube every one needs to watch! It was made by an E.R. doctor ( I think) and he shows in detail very graphically, the effects of many calibers of both pistol and rifle ammo!

You are also dead on about the 10 mm ammo we have out there, and its effects on impact! For those just starting out in their 10 mm journey, or for those who do not reload, you really need to look into ammo choices very carefully and not just buy a box of something just because its loaded with hollow points! 10 mm has changed a lot in the years it has been available to us. It has lost much of the advantages it once had. In a few cases it is marginally better but not by a lot! The real answer is to buy the really good stuff, if you can find it and if you can afford it! Better is to reload it with really good bullets and such! For those who think the standard 10 mm is kind of nice to shoot, wait till you run some of the really good loads or really potent hand loads through it! You will be very surprised at just how week the stuff you are used to shooting really is!

Also, the projectiles in most 10mm are .40 S&W projectiles designed to work at .40 S&W velocities not real 10mm velocities.
yeah, like the Gold Dot left......doesn't like 10mm speed. That GD was 1236fps....if recall it lost somewhere north of 20 grains....the XTP is mean, doesn't lose much and is good to 1278....not bad out of a 3.7"

IMG_1965_zps318271b9.jpg

IMG_1968_zps4a3aee04.jpg

I still have a bunch of the old Winchester black talon loads in 180 grain 10 mm. I don't remember what they do in a 5 inch barrel. but they were well over 1600fps in a K-H MP 10! I think they were in the high 1300 range in pistols like the Bren 10 and Baby Eagle. I might load up a mag during the holidays and see what they do through my crono. I get about 1340 with a 180 grain Grizzle Extreme out of my 1911 10 mm! I don't really see a need to lean on it much harder then that!

1340 is plenty good......takes 11gr of blue dot to get 1278 with 180gr xtp from a G29...nice fire ball too lol

Extrapolating the data, I see just about 700 to 720 foot pounds of energy. I was trying to emulate the old Jeff Cooper/ FBI load with modern bullets! ! I may go to a 220 grain in the same bullet and see what kind of energy I can get! It would probably end up near .45 Colt carbine for energy! That definitely makes this a bear load! o_O

Anyone can miss with a 10mm just as much as they can with a .40 S&W..

Ive shot elk and bear up close and personal with large caliber guns and guess what.. Miss the vitals ever so slightly and the animal that was 15' in front of me is now a mile down in the damn canyon!

Extrapolating the data, I see just about 700 to 720 foot pounds of energy. I was trying to emulate the old Jeff Cooper/ FBI load with modern bullets! ! I may go to a 220 grain in the same bullet and see what kind of energy I can get! It would probably end up near .45 Colt carbine for energy! That definitely makes this a bear load! o_O
wasn't Colonel Coopers goal 1250 with 200gr ?

Ive shot elk and bear up close and personal with large caliber guns and guess what.. Miss the vitals ever so slightly and the animal that was 15' in front of me is now a mile down in the damn canyon!
no doubt, on a side note to that I have seen a rag horn bull killed with a 6" G20, 220gr hardcast, no more than 40 yards ,two shots but I bet he was dead standing on the first...placement of course but its impressive power for a combat gun and cartridge none the less

Also saw a cow moose done in with a stock G20 in Alaska.....that was the day when I knew I had to have a 10mm

wasn't Colonel Coopers goal 1250 with 200gr ?

no doubt, on a side note to that I have seen a rag horn bull killed with a 6" G20, 220gr hardcast, no more than 40 yards ,two shots but I bet he was dead standing on the first...placement of course but its impressive power for a combat gun and cartridge none the less

Also saw a cow moose done in with a stock G20 in Alaska.....that was the day when I knew I had to have a 10mm

Yea, that was Col. Coopers Ideas for this cal. With a 180 gr. bullet and better powders its much faster then I would have though! Originally I thought it would be hard to duplicate safely, As we only had pretty crappy stuff back then to compare to! Turns out it was pretty easy. I never got to try any of the old Norma loads that were supposed to be pretty hot stuff when 10 mm came out! I believe they were 200 grain at 1300 fps and 660 lbs!
Before the 10mm I used a .44 mag. Loved the perf. but hated the Six round limit! When I saw what the 10 mm could do, I was hooked! My cousin Dropped a really big brownie with three well placed shots with his Glock, Changed my religion!

Y
Before the 10mm I used a .44 mag. Loved the perf. but hated the Six round limit! When I saw what the 10 mm could do, I was hooked! My cousin Dropped a really big brownie with three well placed shots with his Glock, Changed my religion!
I just started reloading 44mag this year, fun !

....but yeah if forced I'd grab my 10 no question

image.jpg

You guys did read the part about how the suspect was anchored by the 40 cal hits and not the 223 right? The failure was not due to the 40 hits.

Ive fired one round in my life out of self preservation and it was a 165gr Gold Dot HP from a Glock 22. One shot, center chest, dead threat. It wasnt pretty and it sucked, really bad. But, I gained a lot of respect for the load. Its limited sample size, I know, but the receiver dropped like a wet sack of poop.

It's all no real wonder why the FBI is going back to the .357 Magnum.. I mean the 9mm.
lol

$$$$$

We got told that we were switching back to 9mm because new bullet technology now meets the FBI standard.....then I asked if the standard had been decreased to suit the agenda of some bureaucrat.....

Cheaper to buy, fewer failures to qualify for the newer, smaller officers we are hiring.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top