JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The problem with VPN is that you trust the provider to keep your traffic safe/anonymous. If you do not download huge files, Linux with built-in TOR is by far the easiest way to keep your traffic anonymous and mostly private. Yes, it is not as user friendly as windows, but it's free and fairly secure.

TOR is slowwwww.
VPN is slow.
I used a VPN in Netherlands which has about the best privacy laws, but got tired of the poor performance. I keep thinking I should get back into it. I wanted to find a server out of country with not too big a performance hit (e.g. Canada) but didn't stay with it. Anyway it's pointless; the ruling class already knows I am not a reliable and obedient citizen.

TOR is slowwwww.
VPN is slow.
I used a VPN in Netherlands which has about the best privacy laws, but got tired of the poor performance. I keep thinking I should get back into it. I wanted to find a server out of country with not too big a performance hit (e.g. Canada) but didn't stay with it. Anyway it's pointless; the ruling class already knows I am not a reliable and obedient citizen.
I use a paid VPN service - not slow at all. Depends on which one you use.

We see that member TAC was blocked from a news site as he is in the European area of the internet.

A VPN service can get you around those blocks, by providing a server inside those other areas.

If you can't watch a sporting event due to where you are, for example.

If you don't have such a service, it is worth looking into. It is not the answer for everyone.

You may also want such a service for your Smarty-Pants phones.

VPNs in my opinion are just the next Facebook.

You trust they aren't using your data for various means.

You are happy feeling good thinking they aren't.

What happens when you find out they are using your data?

What happens when you learn they already have algorithms in place to trace any IP through just about any off the shelf VPN service?

The way I see it, use the web, get tracked.

Don't use the web, have cell phone, get tracked.

Don't use the web, don't own cell phone, live under rock, in BFE, don't get tracked.

A friend who used VPNs a lot started getting blocked at all the sites he visited. Then again, he was/is kind of a nut, very active on boxing, deep state conspiracy and trans agenda sites.
But it really pissed him off. So he does some digging, and confidently says to me one day, "Many VPNs are merely fronts for the government to monitor your 'supposed' anonymous activity."
I don't bother with that crap. Someone wants to track me, they're going to die of boredom.
Though - the advantage of VPNs, as demonstrated by a colleague, is that you can surf any subject over your corporate network because it's all encrypted. Me, I like my job so I won't mess.

I have 2 different VPN's for different purposes
1. Corporate. So my computer thinks it is at the office. I can access files, databases and the like from the client site, just as I would from the home office.

2. Personal. I use this on every public network. I know I can't fool the powers that be, but any 2c wanna be is going to go find an alternative target. This is why I lock my car doors. Won't keep the pro's out, will keep the zucchini's from magically appearing.
And, to appear somewhere else. Not saying you should do this, but I like to watch my team. Their games, after the buzzer, are posted to U-Tuby. They are blocked in the USA. I VPN to certain other regions and watch the games.

They are not for everyone, see the reviews I posted above.

VPNs in my opinion are just the next Facebook.

You trust they aren't using your data for various means.

You are happy feeling good thinking they aren't.

What happens when you find out they are using your data?

What happens when you learn they already have algorithms in place to trace any IP through just about any off the shelf VPN service?

The way I see it, use the web, get tracked.

Don't use the web, have cell phone, get tracked.

Don't use the web, don't own cell phone, live under rock, in BFE, don't get tracked.

BUUUZZZZZZZ....... guess again. Electric eyes in the sky, there's nothing you can do about.

BUUUZZZZZZZ....... guess again. Electric eyes in the sky, there's nothing you can do about.
Yep, pretty much. Though those resources usually are not used on everyday regular people, it doesn't mean they can't choose to.

We see that member TAC was blocked from a news site as he is in the European area of the internet.

A VPN service can get you around those blocks, by providing a server inside those other areas.

If you can't watch a sporting event due to where you are, for example.

If you don't have such a service, it is worth looking into. It is not the answer for everyone.

You may also want such a service for your Smarty-Pants phones.

Damn after skimming through all that I was more unsure of it all than before I started reading :eek:

Got an "emergency" alert from OFF.

Something of a reminder
Are you on a secure email system - or one of the public ones like Yahoo, Google, Microsoft ?
Do you use a VPN?
Do you use a secure browser?
https everywhere?

If you don't have anything look at ProtonMail There are others.

I use LastPass and their built-in browser when mobile
I have a VPN Unlimited which is a paid service but goes on sale from time to time.

Maybe this should be a topic in Prepardness/Survival?

New year, recommend you evaluate your comm's.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top