JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Much discussion has taken place on this subject, my priorities are to ensure those I'm responsible for are safe and sound. Once getting my loved ones out of the situation, to safety, it's difficult to say what I'd really do next.

Part of me wants to go home with the family, but part of me knows others would be in jeopardy if there were no intervention. So I guess I'd engage is possible, but might not go searching for the engagement, that's to be left to sworn peace officers...

Geez, I'm wishy washy today...

Much discussion has taken place on this subject, my priorities are to ensure those I'm responsible for are safe and sound. Once getting my loved ones out of the situation, to safety, it's difficult to say what I'd really do next.

Part of me wants to go home with the family, but part of me knows others would be in jeopardy if there were no intervention. So I guess I'd engage is possible, but might not go searching for the engagement, that's to be left to sworn peace officers...

Geez, I'm wishy washy today...

Its an honest assessment. I think running to the engagement is less necessary than not running from it if it presents itself.

My wife understands that I will engage if necessary. Her protection is very important to me, but if in an active situation like we've seen recently, the group is more important than the individual.
Edit: Once she is safe, second priority is engagement, if given the opportunity. I do understand that life is not like a video game, and you don't really want to just run towards someone armed with a rifle, with no cover, guns blazing.

Last Edited:
A somewhat different point of view. I would disengage or retreat if given any opportunity and I would do what I could do to insure the safety of my mate and family. I can not cure the world. Most certainly I can not assume that engaging any non immediate threat would end up with a positive outcome.

An immediate and deadly threat? That is different. Then I would engage. Kinda like the cornered rat; I have no choice. But ... if given any kind of choice of retreating and not engaging that would be my best option. Run and hide? Yup. Find hard safe cover? Yep. Protect my companions? Yup. :(

Respectfully. I most certainly am not some Ninga.

When?
That falls so much on the individual. Some as previously mentioned are wired to engage, some are not. Some are wired to clean up (counseling, etc) and some just exist.

I roll though situations in my head a lot based on where I am and what I'm doing, carrying or even driving. The 'what would I do' could be seeing an engagement with an officer while I'm driving and I can end it by smashing said combatant against the front license plate. Sure I'll do that.

At the end of the day, each has to answer to themself on what their level of involvement will be that will allow them to sleep at night.

I used to play shoot em up video games and I was always the player with the highest kill:death ratio. I always engaged from cover, snuck around, avoided being seen. While some would have a K : D of 1:1, mine was around 12:1. It's my nature to be slow and methodical. Running in guns blazing is not me. I'm more like Gerard Butler in 'Law Biding Citizen".

Been shot at and have been shot (Army SOF). Never not moved to the sound of gunfire. To not do so is detestable and dishonorable to me. If some punk wants to play the "Room Temperature Challenge", I say Bring it!

When?
That falls so much on the individual. Some as previously mentioned are wired to engage, some are not. Some are wired to clean up (counseling, etc) and some just exist.

I roll though situations in my head a lot based on where I am and what I'm doing, carrying or even driving. The 'what would I do' could be seeing an engagement with an officer while I'm driving and I can end it by smashing said combatant against the front license plate. Sure I'll do that.

At the end of the day, each has to answer to themself on what their level of involvement will be that will allow them to sleep at night.

I used to play shoot em up video games and I was always the player with the highest kill:death ratio. I always engaged from cover, snuck around, avoided being seen. While some would have a K : D of 1:1, mine was around 12:1. It's my nature to be slow and methodical. Running in guns blazing is not me. I'm more like Gerard Butler in 'Law Biding Citizen".

Run - Toward Enemy
Hide - Cover and Concealment
Fight - Kill

If some crazy has an AR or AK and I'm standing there with my pocket .380, I'll be very judicious of engagement. If I can pop the BG from concealment with a decent chance of changing the outcome I will. And yes, I practice. But if you're much outside of 25' the odds of a headshot drop considerably.

A dead hero doesn't serve my wife or kids very well.

P

If some crazy has an AR or AK and I'm standing there with my pocket .380, I'll be very judicious of engagement. If I can pop the BG from concealment with a decent chance of changing the outcome I will. And yes, I practice. But if you're much outside of 25' the odds of a headshot drop considerably.

A dead hero doesn't serve my wife or kids very well.

P

I die, wife basically wins the lottery with the life insurance. She gets to replace my salary with some other dude who got better grades in college and has a job that doesn't leave him moody, irritable and jaded. He won't have to work as many hours and will be more emotionally available. Kid gets college paid for.

Its like money ball. In the aggregate, I'm easily replaced and I went down that way I'd want to.

I see it as overthinking. Every call I hear or everything I see go sideways, I'm compelled intrinsically to help. If lizard brain says to get some, I'm not going to override him.

I found myself reacting like that the other morning coming home from work. Tired, music playing away, kind of on auto pilot almost home. I spot some guy walking on the shoulder facing on coming traffic who caught my attention because he looked "sketchy". No sooner did I "notice" him a county LEO coming towards me comes across the lanes, pulls up to him and gets out. I almost pulled in on the other side of them before even thinking. Did not as in that second I thought he is on his own last thing he needs is a strange vehicle pull up to him now. I did pull to the side just past what was happening to watch from the mirrors. If it had turned into physical I would have jumped in since the LEO was alone. I had the music playing in the car loud enough I did not hear what the LEO had just said over his radio as to why he did what he did. Now I was listening and did hear him say he had the guy detained. So I kept going on home.
After it was over and I was pulling into my drive I did think it was interesting that I reacted as I did without even thinking about it. I have had to help them (LEO's) take someone down at work a few times and I guess it just is a natural reaction now even when I am not at work :eek:
Thought about it watching video of that kook in downtown Seattle the other day attacking that parking enforcement guy that thankfully some by standers did jump in to help since I do not think the poor guy was armed. As I was watching it I kept thinking, damn guys you are doing it wrong, then laughed and thought well at least they are trying to help.

In many threads we talk about our willingness to engage a threat in the public. Be it an active shooter or whatever. We've been all over the spectrum from those that would run toward the gunfire or those that feel their responsibility is to make sure mom or dad gets home safe.

In my line of work, it would be completely inappropriate to not run toward a fight (at least when I can run again). I'm wired that way. Some of my coworkers think I'm a little crazy, I think they're kinda lazy. I've never seen a fight I didn't want to be in.

But as a husband and father, I know my attitude scares my wife and may leave my daughter fatherless someday. But I think my attitude makes it more likely I survive and in turn, so may others.

When you engage people bent on racking up casualties, their effectiveness decreases when they get introduced to return fire. North Hollywood is a great example. The media showed all sorts of scary footage of those guys shooting up the place and it made the cops look helpless.

But were they really? Yeah, they were outgunned, scared and didn't want to die. But they shot back. The result? No officers were fatally injured. The only 2 casualties were the bad guys.

I think thats a case for why putting yourself in the mindset to fight might be your best way to survive.

Its good that you are that way. My only argument is how are the cops going to know if you are the good guy or bad guy? When you have your gun out and shooting, it may be hard to figure out. Unless you have a halo and wings on your back, so the cops know you are an angel and there to save everyone...;)

Its good that you are that way. My only argument is how are the cops going to know if you are the good guy or bad guy? When you have your gun out and shooting, it may be hard to figure out. Unless you have a halo and wings on your back, so the cops know you are an angel and there to save everyone...;)

Pretty sure they will see a guy in uniform just like them!!o_O

I have observed, and discussed with my beloved wife, that almost all of the cowardly, human garbage that perpetrate these shootings are stopped in short order once a law enforcement officer or an armed citizen responds. Most Kevork themself. The UCC shooter POS, which hit home something fierce on this homestead, for example, offed his stupid carcass the second two plain clothes detectives started sending lead his way. There are plenty of other examples of a punk sending himself to hell the second armed resistance was encountered.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top