JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In many threads we talk about our willingness to engage a threat in the public. Be it an active shooter or whatever. We've been all over the spectrum from those that would run toward the gunfire or those that feel their responsibility is to make sure mom or dad gets home safe.

In my line of work, it would be completely inappropriate to not run toward a fight (at least when I can run again). I'm wired that way. Some of my coworkers think I'm a little crazy, I think they're kinda lazy. I've never seen a fight I didn't want to be in.

But as a husband and father, I know my attitude scares my wife and may leave my daughter fatherless someday. But I think my attitude makes it more likely I survive and in turn, so may others.

When you engage people bent on racking up casualties, their effectiveness decreases when they get introduced to return fire. North Hollywood is a great example. The media showed all sorts of scary footage of those guys shooting up the place and it made the cops look helpless.

But were they really? Yeah, they were outgunned, scared and didn't want to die. But they shot back. The result? No officers were fatally injured. The only 2 casualties were the bad guys.

I think thats a case for why putting yourself in the mindset to fight might be your best way to survive.

Sadly not all people who take the job you did really can do what needs doing when it comes down. Short example I played for a co worker who is now an LEO. When he got the nod to start training I played a tape for him. Call was a domestic. First LEO goes in with partner behind. Scum shoots first LEO from top of stairs and ducks back. His partner ran out of the house screaming for help and left him to bleed out. The kid I played the tape for shook his head and said no way. He would have tried to get his partner out. I said I would have too. He also has wife and kids who want to see him come back home at the end of a tour but, he would I believe, never run away and leave his partner to bleed out. I know I would not when I was his age. Sadly not all who take the job can really do it well when all goes south.

It's easy to speculate what you'd do under fire... right up to when you're actually taking fire, then the shaking knees, adrenaline dump, trying to control your "waste management systems", and wrapping your mind around the situation all at the same time often plays out differently... :eek:;)

I believe the key lies in "Common Sense". Being sharp/smart enough to know the difference between a foolish move and wise move. I don't know if you can determine that in just a discussion on a forum. Ya' kinda need to be there.

What to do when being shot at or when the threat of being shot is there...
Will all depend on the just where you are , who you are with and what you have in the situation.
It may be best to go to the sound of the gunfire and engage..or it may be better to break contact....
Flexibility and the willingness to do what is necessary with what you have on hand , is needed

How I would react say if in a crowded area , like a store or restaurant , will be different than when I am teaching at school.
Without trying to sound like an internet tough guy ...all I can really say is that I will do whatever I can to make sure that I and those that I am entrusted with , come home alive.
Andy

I'm a bad bubblegum in Call of Duty so I'm probably good to go:p.

The only thing like live fire ive been in was a couple years of playing with pro paintballer's.

Life is different when you have ammo headed at you.

One thing I do know is that I am fairly efficient and calm in actual crises situations so I just hope I'll do what's right at the time and that I don't have regerts later;)

I was reading about the Garlic Festival shooting and at least one (1) guy in the crowd was trying to talk to the shooter. I thought that guy was brave to draw attention to himself, being unarmed and all.

They say you never know how you're going to react in those situations until the moment comes. When I was in my early 20's I did have a gun pulled on me at a party (a story I've recounted here on NWFA before) and I became extremely calm and razor focused. But I think me shooting someone else is a whole other story. When we practice self-defense we always imagine these clear cut situations, where all the variables are accounted for. I imagine the reality is pretty messy and the possibility of spending time behind bars, or bankrupting my family with lawyer bills, or hitting an innocent bystander, would make me pretty damn nervous.

...each according to his nature and abilities.

I can't count the number of times I had to send troops back through an area we had just cleared under fire to look for missing bodies only to have them return and report that they found "so-and-so" locked up in place. Happened to "tough" guys just in from the world as frequently as it did anyone.

The 8 years I spent as an LEO I had a few run ins, I was able to keep my cool but apparently when things went hands on I swore like a sailor. The odd thing is I don't recall swearing but the reports back from other officers about what I was saying when in a fight would cause a good ribbing back at the station...:D

The 8 years I spent as an LEO I had a few run ins, I was able to keep my cool but apparently when things went hands on I swore like a sailor. The odd thing is I don't recall swearing but the reports back from other officers about what I was saying when in a fight would cause a good ribbing back at the station...:D

MANY a time some get reprimanded for turning the air blue on an open mic. I laughed till I had tears in my eyes one time. Young goget'm LEO who I had several interactions with, and did like the guy. He started chasing a car one night and passenger took some shots out the window at them. He was screaming over the radio to the point the woman on the other end let him have it. After it was over he apologized, told her he was sorry and calmed down now, got no response. Next he said he was heading to the station to follow up, to which the gal said "are you sure you can find it". The tone of her voice made it clear she was still pissed at him. :s0140:

Funniest thing ever in a use of force. It was early in my career and I had called for backup. As I've got the guy's arm locked up, we are spinning around and the department trained technique just wasn't working that great, or I hadn't applied it properly. My Sergeant walks up calmly and screams "Round heads! Square corners!" And grabs the dudes head and jams it into the corner of a building. Stopped the spinning right away.

Funniest thing ever in a use of force. It was early in my career and I had called for backup. As I've got the guy's arm locked up, we are spinning around and the department trained technique just wasn't working that great, or I hadn't applied it properly. My Sergeant walks up calmly and screams "Round heads! Square corners!" And grabs the dudes head and jams it into the corner of a building. Stopped the spinning right away.

That one got me laughing good. Will have to remember that at work :D:D:D

It probably makes sense to realistically evaluate how capable, equipped and effective one actually is at helping to neutralize a threat - prior to racing into a blaze of glory because it's the courageous choice.

It probably makes sense to realistically evaluate how capable, equipped and effective one actually is at helping to neutralize a threat - prior to racing into a blaze of glory because it's the courageous choice.

I see it as overthinking. Every call I hear or everything I see go sideways, I'm compelled intrinsically to help. If lizard brain says to get some, I'm not going to override him.

I thank god on a daily basis that I haven't had to find out!! With that said I hope that all the years of training in the military and personal come into full effect and I can do what is needed in any situation.

I am not one to run from a fight so there is that.

I thank god on a daily basis that I haven't had to find out!! With that said I hope that all the years of training in the military and personal come into full effect and I can do what is needed in any situation.

I am not one to run from a fight so there is that.
Then again at 6' 8" there's nowhere for you to hide either...giddy up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top