JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It is easily one of the heaviest worn spots on a pistol. I'm stripping my Browning Hi-Power for a bluing job and the serial number located on the grip where your fingers wrap around is almost completely obliterated! They were pretty worn and not easy to see on this surplus Israeli Hi-Power already but now they are so faint that I'm concerned they may no longer be readable.

What does a guy do? Can anyone re-stamp the serial number into the grip for me? Is that legal? Is it legal to leave it as is? I would rather have an easily identifiable serial number located in it's original location, on the grip, but I'm not sure where to go or what to do now. I would like to resolve this before I apply the bluing.

Any suggestions or answers are greatly appreciated.

zjw3lk.jpg

1zpipmc.jpg

fe0vg7.jpg

I really like this idea. Would that be sufficient in the eyes of Johny law? It kinda pisses me off that I'm even having this dilemma. What a poopy spot to put a serial number!

Just stamp the same SN somewhere else and carry on. No need to have a fit over it. How likely are you to run into trouble with that serial number even as it is now? You'll get struck by lightning first. :)

There's a ton of articles written about just this issue. The best way would be to have the original manufacture of the pistol re-stamp it for you.
That doesn't seem very practical, so if it was mine I would cover the serial numbers with something that would protect them while media blasting or whatever method you are going to use to prep the gun.
The feds have ways to recover obliterated and, or altered serial numbers, so even if the process makes them unreadable, they're still there in side the metal.
Go to Harbor Freight and buy a metal stamp set and make a copy of the originals somewhere inconspicuous.

I had the same problem, but when the blueing was applied it did make it barely readable.
But looking at the picture yours looks a little worse than mine, hope it works out for ya.

I've seen HiPowers with the serial number horizontally just above the top of the right grip. I think they were FN branded, not Browning, but I can't find an image of one right now. It might be good to try to duplicate that look so it still looks somewhat factory. If it were me I would take it to a trophy shop that has a good engraver.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top