JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I shoot a lot without shooting glasses on I guess because i just forget to put them on or maybe because Im just stupid?

Well after yesterday i will never shoot without them again.
I was shooting my ar15 and noticed the magazine of xm193 i just put in was suddenly louder than the the previous box,ever noticed this with xm193?I have a few times.maybe a little hotter loads or something?

The third shot with this magazine sprayed me with shrapnell on the right side of my face and lucky for me this was one of those smarter days for me that I had shooting glasses on because it left marks on the lenses.

I checked the barrel and there was no sign of blockage or anything and the next 100 rounds were just fine but when i got home there was a lot of brass in the trigger area which is probably what me in the face.

It only takes one time to lose an eye and can happen with the same ammo you have shot thousands of rounds of.
I love xm193 ammo and will use it forever but will also use it with glasses on.
I should also add that Im left handed and shooting a right handed rifle though so kinda leaves you on the wrong side of the rifle.

anyone else ever have this happen with lake city xm193?

I have a big head, and always but cheap glasses, they fog up bad... all though if I'm shooting with my Oakley Gascans on I'm ok I guess. I really need to get some good shooting glasses that don't fog, and I don't forget to shoot with on, same can be said when I build Habitat for humanity houses. Someone always asks me to put on my glasses cause I hate them ever so much, and growing up I never had anything but sunglasses on if I was building things

Imagine a perfect gun with perfect ammo. Depending on the caliber and power of the round, barrel length and the prevailing breeze, I've often ended up with excess burning powder blown back into my eyes. Worst offender in my arsenal (ooops, insignificant collection not worthy of any official scrutiny) is the S&W 686 .357 magnum 6" barrel. The sprayback in certain conditions is extremely unpleasant and probably not all that healthy. I guess that's the one up-side of advancing age and prescription glasses every day.

I have a big head, and always but cheap glasses, they fog up bad... all though if I'm shooting with my Oakley Gascans on I'm ok I guess. I really need to get some good shooting glasses that don't fog, and I don't forget to shoot with on, same can be said when I build Habitat for humanity houses. Someone always asks me to put on my glasses cause I hate them ever so much, and growing up I never had anything but sunglasses on if I was building things

i do construction too(hardwood floors)and i cant wear both dust mask and safety glasses or they fog up.
kinda sucks you have to pick which safety gear you want but i sand with a dustless system so not too bad on the dust.
maybe you can use the anti fog stuff for windshields on your safety glasses?

Plenty of times that I forget the glasses,have I had powder blown in my face from the wind.
I just got myself 3 new pairs so I wouldn't forget them.
Heck I don't wear glasses yet and I really don't care to have any eye damage.

Go with the old method, spit on the lenses(diving goggles it works, done it snowboarding too), wipe clean, with clean cloth good to go, my mom once wiped her car window with some napkins from a mcdonalds bag or something had never fogged again, but there was hamburger grease in the napkin

Go with the old method, spit on the lenses(diving goggles it works, done it snowboarding too), wipe clean, with clean cloth good to go, my mom once wiped her car window with some napkins from a mcdonalds bag or something had never fogged again, but there was hamburger grease in the napkin

yes mom spit is a magic remedy for many things.my mom loved to spit in a napkin and wipe my face when i was a kid.
i was thinking f... mom why dont you just hawk a luggy in my face?

I've witnessed rifle (beautiful Springfield 1903) blowing up (double charge). Shooter wan't wearing safety glasses. Lot's of blood oozing out of several pin pricks all over his face. Got bloodshot eyes, but got lucky nothing appear to had hit any of his corneas, at least that I know of.

Just last week as I was shooting some questionable ammo in my .38super, one case head let go at the ramp. It is a 1911 and the gases went down the magazine well. The weak spot on this gun was the plastic grips. One was blown off thru my fingers and sprayed my face. The other was cracked open. I wear my shop safety glasses and they were marked as was my face. Gun is okay; I will never shoot w/o those glasses.

Don't forget safety glasses are just as important for the people watching behind the shooter. I've had stuff hit me while standing at least 10 feet behind the shooter. Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

Just because the eye cutter can fix a lot of problems doesn't mean you want to have him digging around in your eyes.

All it takes is once and you can get to wear a sexy eye patch.

H

here is a pic from unka-boo of why to ware safety glasses

196589531lxv7.jpg

196589531lxv7.jpg

I'm a newer firearms owner and didn't realize the importance of wearing safety glasses so good post! I was in the Marine Corps for 5 years and we never wore glasses while qualifying so I picked up bad habits from that.

I was like the OP and never much cared to put on safety glasses or shooting glasses while I was shooting. My buddy and I were out shooting his AR-15 after he'd cleaned it for the first time. He hadn't shot it, but handed it to me to try out. The first shot went off and my faced was sprayed with cleaning solvent that had gathered somewhere. I was pretty much blinded by it and my buddy had to help me back to the truck to wash out my eyes. It took all the water we had on hand and my eyes still burned. I was able to see by then so I hiked down to a creek in the area and dunked my head a few times. Now, the glasses are the first thing our of my shooting bag and the last thing back in.

I had laser surgery some years ago so that in itself helps me to never forget the glasses when shooting. It wasn't until I started shooting my newly-purchased Kimber that I realized how important they are. This gun drops the shells into my lap! Today I had one come right back into my forehead. Lesson learned for me!
Wifey

I've taken plenty of hits from brass ejected by another shooter on the line. I'm pretty careful about wearing them. Besides, I shoot at ARPC and it's range rules. good rule, too.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top