Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Why use a pocket holster?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by shredjesse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. shredjesse

shredjesse Vantuckey Active Member

Some one enlighten me... why use a pocket holster exactly?

Every search for information just yields people selling their product, but not why their product over just your plain old pocket.

2. Glock23gp

Glock23gp Newport / Salem Active Member

Protection for your firearm and printing

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

3. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

I've carried a couple times without a pocket holster. The gun always seems to shift inside my pocket, sometimes the barrel would be parallel with the ground. With a pocket holster the gun is kept in the correct position when you reach in to draw it. Also, I would notice a lot of pocket lint inside my barrel without a holster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ATCclears, rsmccsman, orygun and 5 others like this.
  4. Squidly

Squidly Sandy Active Member

I carried my pf-9 in my pocket without a holster for a few months. Since it has no manual safety, I was always afraid to carry one in the pipe. The pocket holster gives me that added layer of safety by keeping the trigger enclosed. Now I carry one in the pipe as I should.

rsmccsman and (deleted member) like this.
  5. KCB

KCB Hillsboro Active Member

Yep... Printing and keep the lint out

6. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

As others have said: Printing, keeping the gun properly aligned for draw, reducing lint, and trigger isolation.

7. Solomon

Solomon Vancouver Active Member

I won't carry a gun without a holster that fully covers the trigger. The fact that a good pocket holster reduces printing is just an added bonus.

8. just dan

just dan PDX Active Member

same thing as why you'd use a holster to carry IWB:
    properly support the weapon in a safe and appropriate manner, ready for quick deployment if needed.

9. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have recently found that there is a much greater chance of the LaserMax on my Ruger .380 being inadvertently turned on when carried in my pocket.

10. shredjesse

shredjesse Vantuckey Active Member

Hmm... well I'll maybe have to check it out.

I pocket carry my LC9 without a holster. I have noticed lint/dirt a bit but nothing that overly affects how it works and I clean it regularly anyways. Printing hasn't been an issue, nor has alignment. I have the lasermax laser on mine, it never comes on, and it squares out the shape of the handgun so printing and alignment are helped I suppose?

Anyways, I'll have to see about checking one out a store sometime to see if it's that much of a benefit to me.

11. AlphaCoyote

AlphaCoyote Oh, I get around. New Member

If it were one of those industrial cutting lasers, I could definitely see a potential for trouble.

coctailer and (deleted member) like this.
  12. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

:laugh::laugh:

13. raindog

raindog Portland, OR Active Member

When I pocket carry, it's always with a pocket holster.

A good pocket holster should not print, keep the gun oriented for proper grab, protect the trigger, not come out with the gun, and provide some level of retention so the gun doesn't fall out regardless of your body angle.

There are cheapo blackhawk pocket holsters, and then there are good pocket holsters...here is an example of a good one. Not promoting this company per se, but just pointing out that a good pocket holster is more than just a pouch:

Pocket Concealment Systems, Inc.: Pocket Holsters

14. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

I really like the desantis super fly. It keeps the gun upright with the trigger protected. The buldge in my pocket doesn't look like a gun. What I most impressed with is how the holster stays put when I draw the gun.

longcolt and (deleted member) like this.
  15. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

I have several of the Galco horsehide pocket holsters for my Seecamp 32, Kel-tec P3AT and other guns. They are thin leather but tough and firm, hold the gun tight and protect it from printing and you moving that trigger.

I am sure there are other good holsters that you can buy, but the Galco is my favorite. Its not cheap but then good quality stuff never is.

16. hariph creek

hariph creek vancouver, wa. Active Member

Very good points already mentioned above.

I like RKBA for my pocket holsters. Steve's prices are reasonable, he'll work with you on customization, there's no 4-6 month waiting list, plus as a bonus he's local and on the forum.