JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So does that indicate the other judges have already made up their minds before hearing the cases? That is more troubling than a judge who won't play within political party lines.

I want anti-gun laws struck down as much as the next guy, but I also want truly unbiased courts. Probably too much to ask on both counts these days.

Right now, I think this is a good thing! Between Roberts going off the rails and Ruth insisting on remaining on until they carry her out feet first, I say its a good thing to wait til Trump gets his next picks, then drop the hammer and roll the cases before the courts! Seems Brett K. is hot to trot to take on some 2nd cases, hope that he isn't a sell out!

So does that indicate the other judges have already made up their minds before hearing the cases? That is more troubling than a judge who won't play within political party lines.

I want anti-gun laws struck down as much as the next guy, but I also want truly unbiased courts. Probably too much to ask on both counts these days.
Pretty much you can figure that the liberals on the Supreme Court will vote against cases that seek to expand 2nd Amendment rights or strike down any anti-2nd Amendment laws.

I think there are many issues where you can predict how individual members will rule. Presidents will nominate candidates that reflect their views. On occasion you will get a member who strays such as Roberts.

So the decisions are decided before they even hear the case. I'd love to ask one of them in person why they even bother with the show if all their decisions are decided by their party before the case is heard. But they are all lawyers so I doubt I could understand them with all the hissing and slithering.

So the decisions are decided before they even hear the case. I'd love to ask one of them in person why they even bother with the show if all their decisions are decided by their party before the case is heard. But they are all lawyers so I doubt I could understand them with all the hissing and slithering.
Agreed! Give that they each seem to be given to their ideals and party affiliations, it would seem "Rulings" are already set long before any arguments are heard! The biggest worry is activists justices who rule from the bench on emotions or in the case of RGB, activists, feminist agenda counter to the constitution! What should be, a justice blind to any outside influence, is not the reality we have! And as we have seen with Roberts most recently, he is given to the politics of the time, AND, seems afraid of making history, instead of living it as if it's pre determined! This all creates a dangerous president, making the constitution into a living document subject to the wins and vagaries of the times! :eek::eek::eek:

Agreed! Give that they each seem to be given to their ideals and party affiliations, it would seem "Rulings" are already set long before any arguments are heard! The biggest worry is activists justices who rule from the bench on emotions or in the case of RGB, activists, feminist agenda counter to the constitution! What should be, a justice blind to any outside influence, is not the reality we have! And as we have seen with Roberts most recently, he is given to the politics of the time, AND, seems afraid of making history, instead of living it as if it's pre determined! This all creates a dangerous president, making the constitution into a living document subject to the wins and vagaries of the times! :eek::eek::eek:

There is no "judgement" if this graph predicts every decision before it is made. Why bother?

_Bailey_Scores_of_Supreme_Court_Justices_1950-2011.png

There is no "judgement" if this graph predicts every decision before it is made. Why bother?

View attachment 728065

I agree that there's no judgement involved if this chart predicts every decision. But it doesn't do that.

The fact is that this chart does not predict every decision before it is made, but it does chart changes in trends after the fact. If you see how the median yellow line moves up and down, how individual judges move back and forth on a path as well — that is unpredictability.

You'll notice that your chart shows the Court since 1950 has spent most of its time ideologically to the right, and exclusively to the right since about 1972. And you'll see particularly since 1990 there have been no progressive justices.

I'm no fan of Roberts at all (can't stand him) but he's been reasonably consistant over his career, with a lot of long-term vision in his rulings, and particularly his opinions where he always plays the long game.

You'll notice that your chart shows the Court since 1950 has spent most of its time ideologically to the right, and exclusively to the right since about 1972. And you'll see particularly since 1990 there have been no progressive justices.
What is the value of statistical analysis of completely subjective ratings? Shows how easily some can be fooled by psuedoscience.

I agree that there's no judgement involved if this chart predicts every decision. But it doesn't do that.

The fact is that this chart does not predict every decision before it is made, but it does chart changes in trends after the fact. If you see how the median yellow line moves up and down, how individual judges move back and forth on a path as well — that is unpredictability.

I'm no fan of Roberts at all (can't stand him) but he's been reasonably consistent over his career, with a lot of long-term vision in his rulings, and particularly his opinions where he always plays the long game.

Consider Ginsberg. how would she have voted for some of the cases that the court recently refused to hear?

One was for denying transportation of a firearm to a range or second home
One was for having to give a good reason to get a carry permit
Was was for a 10 day waiting period.

I am 99% certain she would vote against every one of those. Why pay her if we know how she will vote before it happens?

That is bias, that is knowing her judgement before the case is even heard. To me, I have no confidence in the court claiming its impartiality. Its just another political theater

Consider Ginsberg. how would she have voted for some of the cases that the court recently refused to hear?

One was for denying transportation of a firearm to a range or second home
One was for having to give a good reason to get a carry permit
Was was for a 10 day waiting period.

I am 99% certain she would vote against every one of those. Why pay her if we know how she will vote before it happens?

That is bias, that is knowing her judgement before the case is even heard. To me, I have no confidence in the court claiming its impartiality. Its just another political theater

Hey, I think Ginsberg is biased against firearm rights and lots of other things I support for sure. I didn't say I like her. I don't.

What I'm saying is that it's true the vast majority of Supreme Court cases are 9-0 one way or another, and for the other 10% we usually can get pretty close to knowing what 7-8 of the justices will vote before they do. But the court is more fluid than this deterministic thinking gets us. Roberts becoming the swing vote since Kennedy left to me is a good example of that.

What is the value of statistical analysis of completely subjective ratings? Shows how easily some can be fooled by psuedoscience.

I agree. I think that pseudoscience and lazy, non-critical thought fools all of us some of the time, and unfortunately some of us nearly all the time. I'm not saying that's you, just that a lot of this stuff is designed to "make sense" but not pan out logically or factually a lot of the time.

The chart under question is not statistical and it doesn't provide analysis. It looks like you are bringing a lot of interpetation that I am not seeing.

The chart under question is not statistical and it doesn't provide analysis. It looks like you are bringing a lot of interpetation that I am not seeing.
Does the chart not indicate a median, which you yourself referenced?

Definition of median: in statistics and probability theory, a median is a value separating the higher half from the lower half of a data sample, a population or a probability distribution.

Definition of analysis: A method of studying the nature of something or of determining its essential features and their relations.
Six Types Of Analyses Every Data Scientist Should Know
  • Descriptive.
  • Exploratory.
  • Inferential.
  • Predictive.
  • Causal.
  • Mechanistic.
The chart is a graphic description of the (inferred) relative political leanings of various supreme court justices over time, utilizing a numerical scale for which median values were calculated. It is, therefore, a statistical analysis.

Add:
There are four major types of descriptive statistics:
  • Measures of Frequency: * Count, Percent, Frequency. ...
  • Measures of Central Tendency. * Mean, Median, and Mode. ...
  • Measures of Dispersion or Variation. * Range, Variance, Standard Deviation. ...
  • Measures of Position. * Percentile Ranks, Quartile Ranks.

Last Edited:
Does the chart not indicate a median, which you yourself referenced?

Definition of median: in statistics and probability theory, a median is a value separating the higher half from the lower half of a data sample, a population or a probability distribution.

Definition of analysis: A method of studying the nature of something or of determining its essential features and their relations.
Six Types Of Analyses Every Data Scientist Should Know
  • Descriptive.
  • Exploratory.
  • Inferential.
  • Predictive.
  • Causal.
  • Mechanistic.
The chart is a graphic description of the (inferred) relative political leanings of various supreme court justices over time, utilizing a numerical scale for which median values were calculated. It is, therefore, a statistical analysis.

Add:
There are four major types of descriptive statistics:
  • Measures of Frequency: * Count, Percent, Frequency. ...
  • Measures of Central Tendency. * Mean, Median, and Mode. ...
  • Measures of Dispersion or Variation. * Range, Variance, Standard Deviation. ...
  • Measures of Position. * Percentile Ranks, Quartile Ranks.

For anything you're saying to be true the chart would have to have specific values that define what those numbers on the Y axis stand for. They don't. But please continue to paste your Yahoo.com findings liberally. They're hilarious.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top