JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Spoken like an amateur.....Have you ever shot a pig? 22 LR is the most lethal round in history. It has killed more people and game than any other. The most common caliber used in murders and accidental killings.
Given how long its been around, and by how common it is, it would make sense for it to be more common for that. In addition to people underestimating it in regards to negligent homicides.

You are in error. It was the .38 Long Colt (even less powerful than 38 S&W Special) that was finally abandoned by the War Department.
Off course......but it was nearly identical to the 38 special in those years. You know why it was called a 38? The 36 caliber (that it actually is) got such a bad reputation as a self defense caliber pre 1900 that the marketing people insisted on calling it something different so it could be successful on the market.....even the 357 magnum name tried to avoid the 36 cal stigma.

years ago worked for a guy had a 3000 hd feedlot. in the fall you would get pnemonia (sp?) bad with fat steers just about ready to go to the packing plant. Result of cold nites, hot days, and a lotta dust in the evening. The one's we couldn't save giving medication to, would be driven out of the pen, (had to be careful of that as they got really mean being sick and weighing 1200+ lbs) then we kept an old winchester pump 22LR in a shed by the house that i would take out and place one shot between their eyes, usually at a range of about 20ft. They drop like a sledge hammer. In fact at the kill plants in a town i grew up in, that's what the used to kill all the animals for slaughter. 22LR

22 LR is the most lethal round in history. It has killed more people and game than any other. The most common caliber used in murders and accidental killings.

Do you have a source on any of that, or have we just reached the phase of this thread where we just spout anything that supports our position?

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Btw, raw numbers like that are kind of a meaningless argument. Each year, tens of thousands of people across the globe die from Influenza. A small handful will die from Ebola in the same time frame. If you came in contact with a person with the Flu, and a person with Ebola, which one would you be more concerned about? If you wanted to kill someone by infecting them with a disease of your choice, would you choose the Flu, or Ebola?

Do you have a source on any of that, or have we just reached the phase of this thread where we just spout anything that supports our position?

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Btw, raw numbers like that are kind of a meaningless argument. Each year, tens of thousands of people across the globe die from Influenza. A small handful will die from Ebola in the same time frame. If you came in contact with a person with the Flu, and a person with Ebola, which one would you be more concerned about? If you wanted to kill someone by infecting them with a disease of your choice, would you choose the Flu, or Ebola?
I am sure I read it in someplace like the American Rifleman....it wasn't that long ago......and I have seen it several times. It does make sense.

I am sure I read it in someplace like the American Rifleman....it wasn't that long ago......and I have seen it several times. It does make sense.

I agree that it does make sense. In part. Only because slaughterhouses use .22, and tons of people varmint hunt with it, and everyone and their dog has owned a .22 since they were 6 years old. I don't really buy the "most common caliber used in murders" part without some proof. Either way, if what you said is true, it's because .22 had the benefit of volume, not because it's an especially deadly round.

Also, let's remember this thread began talking about hunting. We're trying to be humane to the animal. You could probably kill a moose with a .22, as long as it was a perfect shot. Odds are you'd just end up wounding it though. A larger, faster round gives you more margin for error, and helps you make a clean kill in case you're not an Olympic level rifle shot.

Did you read jinx4evers post? No one was talking about Olympic class shooters. Old cowboys with an old barn rifle. And 20 feet isn't that close. I shot a deer with a 22 LR about 50 years ago, he was broadside to me about 70 feet away. The bullet struck the front upper leg about where the heart is, went through both sides of the leg, into the body, through the rub cage, the heart and the rib cage on the opposite side , lodged under the skin on the backside of the body. It was a hollow point. When I skinned the deer, the bullet fell on the floor......it had a perfect mushroom. The deer didn't walk 20 feet after shot. I don't recommend a 22 for deer but i knew exactly where the bullet was going and the circumstances were correct. It was every bit as clean a kill as if it were shot with my 7mm mag. My dad used to say that the 22 didn't waste as much meat as larger calibers. Have you ever seen how thick the skull is on a full grown steer? Even the mobile butchers here in Idaho still use a 22 to put down animals for slaughter. Don't believe all the hype written in the magazines and other places. Most are like my grandfather would say about fishing lures......they catch more fishermen than fish. (Off course.....that is what they are trying to do)

Last Edited:
SAMSON, Ala. (AP) —

Wild hogs aren't unusual in rural south Alabama, but Wade Seago says he'd never seen anything like the 820-pound animal he shot and killed in his front yard.

<broken link removed>

He's a lie'in. That thar ain't nothin' but a bitty lil weener pig. Round these parts we don even choot 'em til theys at least 900;)

Clearly, you have not tested the current .38 Special loading used by the Military. It's LESS than what was issued in Vietnam - and that's saying something!!!
YIKES! Ive still got some of those military-issue VN .38 specials with the 130 gr ball.. Anemic by post- Super-Vel standards for sure. Ive hung on them this long might as well flog 'em at a yard sale... or add them to the "collection" for the yard sale the county will hold after my demise..:(

YIKES! Ive still got some of those military-issue VN .38 specials with the 130 gr ball.. Anemic by post- Super-Vel standards for sure. Ive hung on them this long might as well flog 'em at a yard sale... or add them to the "collection" for the yard sale the county will hold after my demise..:(
I'll trade you straight across, box for box some vintage treasury 110gr +P+ loads for soma them.

not really

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top