JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Herein lies the biggest problem with the separation of cultures today.
AND herein lies another problem - the failure of certain 'cultures' to show any respect for their predecessors.

I have been a hunter, shooter, outdoorsman, reloader etc. for a long time - much longer than many, and not as long as some others. Heck I owned one of the first AR 15s ever seen by many in Deschutes County.

BUT why am I suddenly a FUDD and why is the post late 90's 'black gun' culture suddenly the 'voice' of all gun owners and the 'others' have to 'come around to their way of thinking' ?

There are a LOT of of gun owners (including myself) who simply have no desire to own a mass produced, matte black plastic stocked rifle or 'pistol' - but this does not mean they/we are against them.

Many of us like the 'heft' of a 26" or longer rifle with a fine wood stock and a 100 rounds in a shooting session is considered a lot.

Maybe if some of the 'certain cultures' would show some enthusiasm to get out and do some woods walking, field shooting (as opposed to their monitors) and REALLY show an interest in the outdoors I would be first in line to be a 'mentor' but quite frankly I do not see it with most young people today. Sheeit, at 18 I was out backpacking most every weekend and for longer times when I could.

Quite frankly most younger people I interface with today are stressed, confused, trying too hard to 'keep up with the Joneses' and have no material connection to history or care about it, or have any desire to get out into the woods for any reason.

If they are gun owners many seem to think guns are for defense only and orient their ownership of them around it (defense).

I would LOVE to see younger people show an interest in history and give up their dependence on social media and get out and and show an interest in the outdoors, maybe some 'traditional' shooting and all that goes along with it but I don't see much of this today.

Last Edited:
AND herein lies another problem - the failure of certain 'cultures' to show any respect for their predecessors.

I have been a hunter, shooter, outdoorsman, reloader etc. for a long time - much longer than many, and not as long as some others. Heck I owned one of the first AR 15s ever seen by many in Deschutes County.

BUT why am I suddenly a FUDD and why is the post late 90's 'black gun' culture suddenly the 'voice' of all gun owners and the 'others' have to 'come around to their way of thinking' ?

There are a LOT of of gun owners (including myself) who simply have no desire to own a mass produced, matte black plastic stocked rifle or 'pistol' - but this does not mean they/we are against them.

Many of us like the 'heft' of a 26" or longer rifle with a fine wood stock and a 100 rounds in a shooting session is consider a lot.

Maybe if some of the 'certain cultures' would show some enthusiasm to get out and do some woods walking, field shooting (as opposed to their monitors) and REALLY show an interest in the outdoors I would be first in line to be a 'mentor' but quite frankly I do not see it with most young people today. Sheeit, at 18 I was out backpacking most every weekend and for longer times when I could.

Quite frankly most younger people I interface with today are stressed, confused, trying too hard to 'keep up with the Joneses' and have no material connection to history or care about it, or have any desire to get out into the woods for any reason.

If they are gun owners many seem to think guns are for defense only and orient their ownership of them around it (defense).

I would LOVE to see younger people show an interest in history and give up their dependence on social media and get out and and show an interest in the outdoors, maybe some 'traditional' shooting and all that goes along with it but I don't see much of this today.

:s0069:

I would love to stop hearing people claim that "plastic guns" are junk and the only "real" guns worth owning are wood and steel hunting rifles.

It goes both ways here. And I'm not a "kid".

Many of us like the 'heft' of a 26" or longer rifle with a fine wood stock and a 100 rounds in a shooting session is consider a lot.

My observation, was/is the pre-1970's gun culture. Absorbed into life the firearm, as a tool of purpose. Much like todays youth does with their smart phones. I did not separate my knowledge by the firearm I held, but by the company I kept while in possession of it. Was simple to understand. I owned a firearm, and a toolbox of wrenches. Paid neither any never mind to either, as they were just tools to be used as designed. Until todays authority said I shall do different? For which I have not complied in that request.

Can you show a reference to this? IE 'people' claiming they are junk?

Im too lazy to go back and quote all the posts where Glocks were called "plastic junk" and all the other negative stuff about modern sporting firearms. It's here, strewn throughout many threads. You're a smart guy and participate often, no need to try and lead here. :rolleyes:

Many of us like the 'heft' of a 26" or longer rifle with a fine wood stock and a 100 rounds in a shooting session is considered a lot.

So, you state we (younger generations) should respect the predecessors, yet you show no respect for the future generations?

Am I allowed to say...

I would LOVE to see older people show an interest in modern tech and recreations like video games, virtual reality, and maybe some "tactical" shooting and all that goes along with it, but I don't see much of this today!

;)

This is what everybody should spend a summer doing:

BP.jpg

I can't do fps' any more. The last self defense incident I was in ruined that forever for me. I actually do have concerns about their effect on society. And some folks have called me a fudd at the range. Ironically I have much cooler guns than their "modern" ones by their own standards. But some days I want to shoot the old single shot. (How they missed the suppressor on the end is beyond me.) and some days I take out my percussion cap pistol.

My theory is that once you have pulled out the creep of your trigger while pointing at a man, it feels less fun. It makes me queasy to be blunt. I also have met many who think they know all about guns from games. Scary folks in that they will sweep you with their finger on the trigger. Just some of the biggest nitwits with guns I have encountered were know it alls from the digital realm.

Yes - and embrace them.
Do you have any interest in history? Is history a foreign concept with you ?

I know you didn't quote me, but don't think the condescension goes unnoticed. Kinda expected more from you honestly.

Yes - and embrace them.
Do you have any interest in history? Is history a foreign concept with you ?
2 way road if you ask me. If all you see in the younger generations is wastefulness, then why on earth should we do as mentioned above?

I love history, learn as much as I can as often as I can about human history.

I also love learning about current technology and modern advancements? Do you have any interest in these?

If you want two way mutual understanding, try driving on something other than one way roads.

Interesting discussion. My expert opinion. As I am an expert on giving them. :) ( just ask the Mrs)
Do you embrace the 2nd Amendment? Do you think lawful men and women should have the right to own any firearm lawfully?
If the answer is yes, then why does it matter what firearm you grasp, or for what reason.

Learned long ago, simplicity is the only way one masters their domain. Its also the simplest way to inner peace.
But I sleep with a firearm next to my pillow, so what do I know.

Interesting discussion. My expert opinion. As I am an expert on giving them. :) ( just ask the Mrs)
Do you embrace the 2nd Amendment? Do you think lawful men and women should have the right to own any firearm lawfully?
If the answer is yes, then why does it matter what firearm you grasp, or for what reason.

Learned long ago, simplicity is the only way one masters their domain. Its also the simplest way to inner peace.
But I sleep with a firearm next to my pillow, so what do I know.

Well said.

The First Person Shooter Games ...do not interest me at all.
After having had to shoot at , as well as shoot people for real in combat , it gives me a different perspective on those games.
To be honest here....the idea of making combat a game , kinda makes light of a subject that should be treated with respect and understanding...not seen as a game....again just my opinion.

Please note that I am not saying that no one should play those games...or buy them or own them etc...
Just that combat for me is not a game and I don't want to play a FPS game....what others do , is up to them.
Andy
Bold and italic to empathize a point....which is :
Just 'cause I don't like 'em...doesn't mean that no one else can enjoy them...its just that I don't like 'em

Last Edited:
I was raised to respect my elders and I try to honor that. When I was young, I didn't demand respect, I was taught you earned it. Has this changed?
Point is, wether young or old young you should be respectful to others and work to be worthy of respect.

Trying to demand it falls on deaf ears IMO.

The First Person Shooter Games ...do not interest me at all.
After having had to shoot at , as well as shoot people for real in combat , it gives me a different perspective on those games.
To be honest here....the idea of making combat a game , kinda makes light of a subject that should be treated with respect and understanding...not seen as a game....again just my opinion.

Please note that I am not saying that no one should play those games...or buy them or own them etc...
Just that combat for me is not a game and I don't want to play a FPS game....what others do , is up to them.
Andy

I know a handful of vets from our recent stuff, I always forget their deployment locations as they don't really talk about it much, that use these games as a form of PTSD relief.

Another good thing about them, is they do get younger generation's interested in actual gun ownership. I know a handful of full blown liberals that own a gun or two strictly because of video games.

I was raised to respect my elders and I try to honor that. When I was young, I didn't demand respect, I was taught you earned it. Has this changed?
Point is, wether young or old young you should be respectful to others and work to be worthy of respect.

Trying to demand it falls on deaf ears IMO.

This +1000

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads