JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was raised to respect my elders and I try to honor that. When I was young, I didn't demand respect, I was taught you earned it. Has this changed?
Point is, wether young or old young you should be respectful to others and work to be worthy of respect.
Trying to demand it falls on deaf ears IMO.
Nicely said, I am not sure when it changed, seems like it was a very slow descent.

Sorry @tac here in America you still have rights even for being a little stupid.

I imagine this would make a person in the UK a felon?
now now..... poor TAC is in UK where carrying a knife is illegal. Just wait.....Oregon will be the same. Free needles. Free abortions. But guns are bad. Moron gamer could have actually hurt someone.

Nicely said, I am not sure when it changed, seems like it was a very slow descent.
I'm not entirely sure it has changed much.

I think he nailed it though, demanding respect is BS.

So maybe that part has changed.

Just because one is older than someone, doesn't entirely entitle you to respect. Older folks keep talking about the younger generations in a poorly poised tone, then demand respect because that's how it is supposed to be? Nope, not happening with me. You act like an butthole, you'll get treated like one. You dont respect my decisions and mouth off something about my generation you don't like or understand, you won't get that respect if you ask me.

I do find the irony in it though, a generation calling another generation the "entitlement generation" yet feels they are entitled to respect...

The First Person Shooter Games ...do not interest me at all.
After having had to shoot at , as well as shoot people for real in combat , it gives me a different perspective on those games.
To be honest here....the idea of making combat a game , kinda makes light of a subject that should be treated with respect and understanding...not seen as a game....again just my opinion.

Please note that I am not saying that no one should play those games...or buy them or own them etc...
Just that combat for me is not a game and I don't want to play a FPS game....what others do , is up to them.
Andy
Bold and italic to empathize a point....which is :
Just 'cause I don't like 'em...doesn't mean that no one else can enjoy them...its just that I don't like 'em

I am not sure that imitation is always a point of disrespect when it comes to this sensitive topic. Going back to WW2 children imitated killing Nazi's. They saw evil from what they were taught and its value on being eliminated. Is todays video games nothing more then indulging in these activities? There is stolen valor, and then there is imitation. Too deep a subject for this old guy at 9pm.

I'm not entirely sure it has changed much.

Just because one is older than someone, doesn't entirely entitle you to respect. Older folks keep talking about the younger generations in a poorly poised tone, then demand respect because that's how it is supposed to be? Nope, not happening with me. You act like an butthole, you'll get treated like one. You dont respect my decisions and mouth off something about my generation you don't like or understand, you won't get that respect if you ask me.

I do find the irony in it though, a generation calling another generation the "entitlement generation" yet feels they are entitled to respect...

From what I remember, I was young once. Seems the same rules applied then :)

Just because one is older than someone, doesn't entirely entitle you to respect.
I used to think this. I have professionally had to demand respect. It was when I knew a danger that those entrusted to my care did not. Sometimes that demanded respect may save life and limb. I have demanded people listen when I am about to have to takedown a violent psychotic patient.

And I used to be young enough to believe that age doesn't deserve respect. Life taught me to respect my elders more than anything else. Now some are fools. I learned letting them lose respect was a better course of action.

So when I was younger and lacked more experience I would have agreed. But I am neither Boomer nor millenial. And I fully think Millenials tend to be more fragile. And that the mental health of millennials and following is in aggregate poorer than what preceded is not even a dispute in my field. In my field the question is why, not if. There is tons of conjecture but the hard data isn't there as to why. The level of what people claim PTSD for is a good marker. It goes from wars and kidnappings in the older generations to a pathetic level in some teens today.

I've changed a lot over the years. But mostly I have learned that there was a lot of wisdom in traditional and tribal cultures of respect.

Last Edited:
Being 30, when I was a kid, I loved video games, played those when I wasn't playing sports, and I contribute some of my strategic and tactical thinking development growing up to playing video games, but as I grew older I enjoyed video games less. It's not that I couldn't enjoy playing them, it's that I felt I was wasting the hours of my life while doing so. I played them often up through about 20 and still will play them with my brother in law when we hang out several times a year, but I lost interest to sit on the couch and spend hours of my life accruing meaningless digital trinkets on a regular basis. I still find video games to be a great method of spending time together if that is what people want to do, but with a preference to in person interaction as opposed to through digital communication. As I look back on my life, I'm not saddened by the hours I haven't spent staring at a screen doing that. It's a hollow sense of accomplishment, I find it also to be a hollow skill, but that is also because I find value in skills that are beneficial for this life, not for a (for fun) virtual one.

I do understand that some people are way into it, everyone has the things they like to do,
I also understand that some people are even making a living playing video games, and again, great for them, but it's just nothing I will ever assign value to beyond casual entertainment.

To be clear, I consider professional sports in the same manner, I have never considered watching someone else play sports to be something worth paying for, but understand that others do and that's what makes it a viable money generating choice of work.

At the end of the day, I don't disparage people who play video games because they have the choice of how to spend their time and money just like I do, but I will always respect skills that are useful for this life infinitesimally more than how well they can play a game.

Lol @tac you make me laugh.

Yes you have repeated the same information about your country many times.

However, we have also repeated the same information about the United States. Which you seem to disagree with and not fully understand.

Thanks for bringing up the same old same old about your countries mass shootings.

I'd chock it up to you being the type to live here in the US, own guns, and state no one needs an AR15.

And you would be totally wrong.

I'd be haunting the LGS with every spare nickel I had, and have EVERYTHING that goes bang that I could afford.

now now..... poor TAC is in UK where carrying a knife is illegal. Just wait.....Oregon will be the same. Free needles. Free abortions. But guns are bad. Moron gamer could have actually hurt someone.

Right now, tac is loading up his car to go a'shooting at ahis gun club guest day. He is wearing an old Confederate jacket and kepi, because he will be a'shooting his 1861 Artilley carbeen and showing other folks how they can shoot it, seeing as how 99.99% of them have never shot anything before, let alone a .58cal BP carbeen.

FYI, he is wearing, just like he does every day of his life, his trusty ol'Leatherman Wave. And please, it's 'tac' in lower case, he reckons he's not important enough in the scheme of things to be capitalised.

Best wishes to all there.

Mrs tac

Got me scratching my head. Unless one works for a company that develops gaming software and one is testing said, I don't get "professional game player". For that matter, that activity strikes me a gigantic waste of time.
Most kids these days think they're gonna get through life by being cute on youtube and such. For reals.
I mean pewdiepie has made like $500,000,000 by pretty much playing games so anybody can do it too.. they all think.

tac, is back.

1583677948217.png

Right now, tac is loading up his car to go a'shooting at ahis gun club guest day. He is wearing an old Confederate jacket and kepi, because he will be a'shooting his 1861 Artilley carbeen and showing other folks how they can shoot it, seeing as how 99.99% of them have never shot anything before, let alone a .58cal BP carbeen.

FYI, he is wearing, just like he does every day of his life, his trusty ol'Leatherman Wave. And please, it's 'tac' in lower case, he reckons he's not important enough in the scheme of things to be capitalised.

Best wishes to all there.

Mrs tac
He has more than earned all caps although he should be called as he likes.

Very nice set up there with the carbine and tunic.

Hey, don't get too excited, it's just a 1974-bought Parker-Hale musketoon in .58cal. I got to shoot it just before the hordes of guests arrived, and by midday they'd shot 31 of my Minié bullets, and left me with just the one that had been dropped on the ground. I sure wasn't going to shoot THAT one!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top