JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This. You explained this perfectly. I figured it had to be due to military doctrine, yes, they wear armor and most injuries are to their limbs, makes perfect sense. I carry a trauma kit with quick clot and two tourniquets in all my kits (my EDC bag) and my bug out bag. I might take you up on the combat gauze, I do have some already ($10 online) but also have the granules and TQ's as well.

I think a lot of people just copy whatever military does not realizing the circumstances are different between a soldier with armor that covers almost their entire torso vs civilians who get shot in the chest at the mall, etc.

People tend to copy the military due to the amount of research and funding that goes with it. They fail to take that knowledge and apply it to their needs. Its not a "if i can only have one argument" but rather a balance of what am i likely to encounter and do i prepare for that risk, and am I ok going without when the probability is below a certain level of odds. Carrying all medical supplies you could possible need is stupid as it limits your mobility or overly hinders your life, its about a balance to likely need and what will save their life long enough to get to higher care.

On the other hand.... how often do you hear of people needing serious medical attention due to their idiocy with axes, machetes, hatchets, knives, tools in general? I mean.. we all have heard/read about a dull ax missing the log and striking the shin of the user... or a machete missing and hitting the users hand...
Completely correct. A bit of medical knowledge goes a long way. The issue is people think its not work their time or money and if it is worth it to them they take one class and call it quits. Medical innovations are constantly changing and its important to keep up to date as dated medical knowledge can at times be worse then no knowledge at all.

People tend to copy the military due to the amount of research and funding that goes with it. They fail to take that knowledge and apply it to their needs. Its not a "if i can only have one argument" but rather a balance of what am i likely to encounter and do i prepare for that risk, and am I ok going without when the probability is below a certain level of odds. Carrying all medical supplies you could possible need is stupid as it limits your mobility or overly hinders your life, its about a balance to likely need and what will save their life long enough to get to higher care.

Yeah I keep 2 TQ's and a trauma kit with quick clot in my chest rig. I also keep the same in my EDC. I take blood thinners so bleeding is a concern. My EDC pack is super light even with all the lead in there. Three home made MRE's with 3K calories and 50 grams of protein each, water bottle and purification tablets along with Immodium AD, battery bank, flash light and a poncho. The basics...

Too many people copy the military not realizing they go back to a base for resupply or have lot's of logistics behind them. Preppers don't have that luxury.

On the other hand.... how often do you hear of people needing serious medical attention due to their idiocy with axes, machetes, hatchets, knives, tools in general? I mean.. we all have heard/read about a dull ax missing the log and striking the shin of the user... or a machete missing and hitting the users hand...
Completely agree. In this case a TQ is also useful depending on the serious of the cut or if the limb is missing.

Yeah I keep 2 TQ's and a trauma kit with quick clot in my chest rig. I also keep the same in my EDC. I take blood thinners so bleeding is a concern. My EDC pack is super light even with all the lead in there. Three home made MRE's with 3K calories and 50 grams of protein each, water bottle and purification tablets along with Immodium AD, battery bank, flash light and a poncho. The basics...
A couple things to think also about would be some occlusive dressing (chest wounds) and some kind of emergency blankets. Shock can kill very fast and its difficult to bring them back. Also do you have any documentation saying your on blood thinners (in your wallet/on kit/ in bag)? Reason being if your unconscious or cant unable to communicate the medics/ docs treating you can give you better care as they know what your on. Just something to think about, i'm not going to tell you how to live your life.

A couple things to think also about would be some occlusive dressing (chest wounds) and some kind of emergency blankets. Shock can kill very fast and its difficult to bring them back. Also do you have any documentation saying your on blood thinners (in your wallet/on kit/ in bag)? Reason being if your unconscious or cant unable to communicate the medics/ docs treating you can give you better care as they know what your on. Just something to think about, i'm not going to tell you how to live your life.

The trauma pack I have is for sucking chest wounds as well, it has a component for that in there. I've considered getting a medical bracelet with my meds and blood type on there. My chest rig has this info...but not my EDC setup.

Speaking of medical info; does it make sense to have a patch or something like that with an ICD-10-CM code on it? Say for my example, instead of spelling it out like on a bracelet, patch says Z88.2 for sulfa antibiotics allergy? I understand thar the ICD,-10-CM codes are more for billing and charts in the US but thinking may be a quick way for US trained paramedics to tell.. outside of medical bracelets that is.

Speaking of medical info; does it make sense to have a patch or something like that with an ICD-10-CM code on it? Say for my example, instead of spelling it out like on a bracelet, patch says Z88.2 for sulfa antibiotics allergy?
You can. Personally I think patches can be over used and not everyone will know the ICD code right away or have it memorized. Keeping that info in your wallet next to your ID is a very suitable place. Either you can give it to who is treating you or in the event your unconscious they will look for your identification and find that info.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top