JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Any of the following are
acceptable;
Please

Handgun Safety course certificate including the
NRA in
structors Name and NRA ID number.

A Hunter Safety class certificate, with
documentation
indicating handgun safety was a component
of the class.

A handgun safety class taught by
law enforcement
or a
community college
utilizing NRA
instructors

For the first time in years I have not re-upped my membership. I got fed up with their continual soliciting of funds. I had no issue with sending them $30 a year to lobby gun rights. IMO the NRA takes the bashing after a shooting incident and leaves places like Gun Owners of America free to do the work.

I stopped my membership after repeated asking them to stop calling every other Sunday night asking me to buy a lifetime membership. No means no but they kept calling. I will not be harassed by people I contribute to. GOA doesn't solicit funds so much.

As for the benefits of NRA, don't they provide legal council or something to life time members.

For the first time in years I have not re-upped my membership. I got fed up with their continual soliciting of funds. I had no issue with sending them $30 a year to lobby gun rights. IMO the NRA takes the bashing after a shooting incident and leaves places like Gun Owners of America free to do the work.

I stopped my membership after repeated asking them to stop calling every other Sunday night asking me to buy a lifetime membership. No means no but they kept calling. I will not be harassed by people I contribute to. GOA doesn't solicit funds so much.

As for the benefits of NRA, don't they provide legal council or something to life time members.
I just went ahead and got the lifetime, no more calls:D. If there was no NRA there would be a Hillary right now.:eek:

I only get solicited when I'm on the phone with them, for example today when I released the hold on my American Rifleman mag. They asked me on the phone if it's ok to use the number I was calling from to reach me in the future. I always say no. I'm pretty sure if you called their headquarters and told them that if they don't stop with the solicitations, that they would never see another penny from you, they would oblige.

I understand why they solicite...it's because they are constantly financially overwhelmed by all the zealots on a state and national level. That said, I freaking hate being solicited, so I get the frustration. But how is it any different from the metric ton of mail I get from CapitolOne credit cards each year, Fios or anything else for that matter.

Not 100% certain but I believe even basic membership gets $7500 in insurance and legal council if needed...free of charge

The only other thing I can think of is lobbyist....Now I personally from experience know that a letter to my congress person or senator (in large numbers) is MUCH more effective than any lobbyist group. Just most times people don't make the effort to send these letters.

This is the best part for me. The NRA can mobilize a metric crap ton of people to write letters. Doing it on your own is important, but having lots of people doing it and then getting back to the politicians showing them numbers is VERY effective in holding the line we have. It is never going to sway lefties, but it keeps right politicians on our side. When you join the NRA you become part of the club that has the biggest perceived wallop in Washington. I know that they don't do much for the West Coast, but they fight a lot of battles that are strategic and being part of that is good.

I only get solicited when I'm on the phone with them, for example today when I released the hold on my American Rifleman mag. They asked me on the phone if it's ok to use the number I was calling from to reach me in the future. I always say no. I'm pretty sure if you called their headquarters and told them that if they don't stop with the solicitations, that they would never see another penny from you, they would oblige.

I understand why they solicite...it's because they are constantly financially overwhelmed by all the zealots on a state and national level. That said, I freaking hate being solicited, so I get the frustration. But how is it any different from the metric ton of mail I get from CapitolOne credit cards each year, Fios or anything else for that matter.

I'm a life member - they don't bug me. When I started, I went online myself and made the selections as to what kind of contact I wanted. I can't recall ever getting a phone call from them. I get my American Rifleman each month, as well as the ILA alerts I subscribe to. When we were fighting SB941 in Oregon, I got a couple of postcards from them encouraging me to write and call my legislators. Beyond that, I've not been bugged for extra money, etc.

I am a Benefactor Life Member. I receive donation requests quite often. I reply often, even if it's a tiny donation. I suppose as long as I donate, they'll keep asking. If a feller doesn't like it, ignore the requests.

I am swamped with requests from many charities. I respond to just a very few, but the requests are increasing. Just the nature of charities that live off of donations.

WAYNO.

I got a phone call on my drive home tonight from them. I donated a few bucks as I do to this site. I'm ok with it.

Not having a life membership I get those calls, over and over and over..... finally just stopped answering that number.

It's one thing to 'bother' people who you're trying to convince to join up but quite another to harass someone who has already contributed. It just bugs me, it's always around dinner time too.

It's like AT&T leaving messages on my phone, or DirectTV wanting me to up my package.

My dad and uncles were NRA boys, I grew up w/them (NRA) basically. My personal feeling over the years is they've gotten smarmy, big chested, paying big bucks for things us ground pounders may not appreciate. It's not the NRA my dad was a part of, flannel shirts, days at the range, shooting in school and hunting, lots of shooting and hunting.

It's sort of like that with anything really, after time, and many changes at the top the organization doesn't have the same message the originators intended. Sometimes it's a great progression, sometimes it's a killer. I think the NRA's put on some pretty soft gloves over the years, catering to where the $$ is, afraid to get too dirty. There are already enough folks out there that curl their lip when they hear those letter put together. That's the rub, they can't get too dirty, they're too big to fail at this point. The NRA wants they're leaders to walk into a room and get respect, in today's progressive environment to even have a toe hold is challenging.

Regardless of feelings and being b*tt hurt it's what we've got. Not being a part of the picture because it's not the best it could be isn't the way to change it. Getting involved, really involved is how WE change it. There are a lot of people who send the check and get the rag but how many have gone to meetings or written to someone who matters within the organization? Me either. Sooo, I'll keep sending my $$ and hope (like most of us) that someone will step up and think about making some changes that will bring more of US in. In the meantime I'll support them because they support me, can't say that about a whole lot of organizations these days.

I think ( and I am hoping really hard here) that the change in Gov may just loosen the neck ties enough to see a shift from the big fights in D.C. to more State level fights! Orygun unfortunately has a problem, and we all know what that problem is, so it's going to be up to you guys IN orygun to take the fight to the State and who knows, but every little bit of help can have a big effect! Remember, Death by a thousand cuts works both ways!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top