JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you not form your own opinions without crowdsourcing some kind of approval? Don't join the NRA. There. Proactive people are needed, and you seem too undecided about everything to do the kind of groundwork needed to promote the NRA's mission.

And unless your homeowners insurance has a SPECIFIC binder for firearms theft, you're not getting didly squat if they're stolen. Which is a lot more likely than losing them in a fire. Especially since you plastered your inventory on a public forum.

To the OP. May I suggest you join the NRA group in your local area and get involved. If half the gun owners in this country were members we would have a huge influence on politics.

I understand where you're coming from. I procrastinated a long time when it came to joining the NRA because I have mixed feelings about it. They fight gun confiscation attempts at the national level: that's good. But they have largely abandoned their other, former, core mission of supporting the shooting sports in order to concentrate on lobbying: that's bad. Also, they spend a lot of time and effort advertising and selling stuff. Plus, is it just me or does Wayne La Pierre come across as kind of a creepy guy?

Anyways, no group of human beings is ever going to be perfect.
I'm a Life Member now, so I can vote to make changes.

Awesome, I and others serious to the cause, commend you for taking action.
We as members can change the faces the public sees at the podium, if you don't like Wayne then vote him out..... but do something.

We are all in a precarious situation trying to fight and save our rights against a well organized and formidable enemy, the Democrats. I know on a local & state level that there are some pro 2A D's out there but they are few and far in between. We need to get busy on the others that just may not know about guns & vote the line, they are ignorant and need our input and facts to guide them.
Unfortunately many gun owners are divided and one side is complacent and are okay with more gun laws.... this is the Fudd group that we need to contact & get their attention, show them the real agenda of the D's, their ultimate goal of disarming the public and change their outlook on what is real and in our face today.

We can do this if we all come together as a group but we will fail in this cause if we stand divided.

Ive had a few friends who fly often and have actually sat with NRA lawyers/reps.

So I know the NRA sends representstives to states with BS bills that are being proposed or have been passed. As a lobby group we have the GOA and the NRA as two powerhouses that can act as movers and shakers in court for us, the people.

The problem with the NRA is too many FUDDS are on the board that want to play politics. That can be changed if enough pro 2A folks get in there and oust those FUDDS currently on the board. We need people that think like those working with the GOA and OFF,
Making zero deals with the antis.

Last Edited:
I've got complaints about all of the gun rights org's I've dealt with/contributed to. That goes for SAF and OFF too. But I'll say this, I would never consider not being a member of the NRA. Why? Because they, more than any other group in this country, has more sway over congress, on the national level, than all the others combined. No, I don't agree with everything they do or have done, but damn folks, they do fight for our rights, and you simply can't deny that.

Consider the attempt by Obama, through the ATF, to ban sales on 'green tip' AR ammo - one of the most common, and most cost effective, rounds for plinking. It was the NRA that got their butts in front of congress men and women and rallied the troops to fight that ridiculous ban - and it worked.

And how about the fact that every single anti-gun organization and politician out there absolutely hates the NRA. From Hillary Clinton to Michael Bloomberg to Kate Brown and Floyd Prozanski - they see the NRA as THE organization to beat when it comes to furthering gun control. How many times do you see politicians quake in their boots over the actions of OFF, SAF, GOA, etc? No, it's the NRA that they fear, because, on a national level, the NRA has some big time influence - no one can deny that.

So, are they perfect? Nope. Have they done some things I don't like? Yep. Are they worth the price of a single lifetime membership? Every damn penny.

I know there are some big NRA haters, and I get that. But damn folks, we need to be UNITED against the anti-gun onslaught coming out of Washington D.C. Show me any other group in America that has the influence and power of the NRA - there are none. I think every serious gun owner should be a member - as well as a member of OFF, SAF, GOA, etc. We need them all. That's one of the things that pizzes me off about Republicans - they'll refuse to support anyone or anything that isn't EXACTLY how they want it to be. In the meantime, our anti-gun enemies will rally the troops and support their cause even if it's not exactly what they want. If we want any hope to fight them, we need to support the groups that are doing the work, even if they're not perfect. 5M members right now - there should be 100M - can you imagine the power they'd have with that many members? Maybe then they could get some sh!t done on the state level too in places like OR and WA.

SO. MUCH. THIS. Great post etrain16.

I will add by saying I think they are the "premiere" civil rights group in our country today...as the 2A is our most important freedom. I believe this is why it was the second amendment, right after Freedom of Speech/Religion.

Been a member for a over a decade and am currently making quarterly payments to achieve Life Member status

Last Edited:
First thing first...I know some will look at this question and take offense BUT I do not mean it that way.I want to have an educated 2017 discussion on the NRA membership pros and cons.
(This was asked back in 2009 but I think an updated discussion would be good to have.)

So I have looked at either a yearly ($30) or lifetime ($600) membership to the NRA. As it sits it looks like my "benefits" are as follows:
  • NRA patch (DONT WANT IT OR NEED IT)
  • Monthly Magazine (DONT WANT IT OR NEED IT)
  • Membership Card and Decals (DONT WANT IT OR NEED IT)Do I?
  • $7,500 gun insurance (I have home owners insurance)
The only other thing I can think of is lobbyist....Now I personally from experience know that a letter to my congress person or senator (in large numbers) is MUCH more effective than any lobbyist group. Just most times people don't make the effort to send these letters.

All this being said am I missing any vital pieces of information? I truly want to know if there are truly any valid benefits either personally or COMUNIALY to having a membership. I know 30 years ago the way things were was completely different than they are now (even 10 years ago) so I am asking.
There is a 5th benefit...
A deluge of junk mail.
It took me several emails to slow it down.

They must spend a ton of money sending mailings out.

What the HeII!

Complain the NRA isn't doing enough to help.
When You don't help them?

Will you be the guy that cries like a baby when your guns are gone?
Blaming it all on the NRA for letting you down? :s0002:

If running get's you closer. Then run.
If walking's all you can muster to get you closer. Than walk.
And if you really need to get there but can't walk. You need to start crawling!

Screw the guy that just sit's there and dies. o_O

But other than that. I don't really have an opinion. :D

I'm sure if you ask Nancy Pelosi, Carolyn Maloney, Dianne Feinstein and Pat Toomey which organization is the biggest thorn in their side preventing them from pushing their anti gun agenda they wouldnt come back with GOA or any other group other than the NRA. I'm all for the local groups working within their states but on the national level its ONLY the NRA doing the hard work.

Been a member for almost 30 years. When they had a special on Life membership a few years ago Jeannie signed us both up. Wouldn't even consider NOT being a member. What other civil rights group can boast 5 MILLION card-carrying members?? That is political clout you won't find anywhere else. No I don't agree with everything they do, but there is simply no other group that even comes close to their power.
In the game of "what-if's??" I believe we would be in the same boat as most of Europe if not for the NRA.
One email cured the junk mail problem for me. If everyone that didn't want the junk would send that one email, they wouldn't have to complain about it and the NRA wouldn't waste money sending it. A win-win for everyone. Unfortunately most people would rather bubblegum about it than fix it.
As far as insurance, if you have three budget AR's and a scope you are probably beyond what your homeowner's insurance will cover, whereas their $7500 is a realistic amount for most people.

I mean, the NRA didn't help me when I wasn't here in the U.S in 1994 with the assault weapons ban. :rolleyes:

There are groups that I like more than the NRA to be honest, and its kinda sad they don't get a lot of support. But you know... Something's better than nothing.

I mean, the NRA didn't help me when I wasn't here in the U.S in 1994 with the assault weapons ban. :rolleyes:

How about the sunset clause?? Suppose that would have been there without the NRA??
How much worse might the GCA 1968 have been with out the NRA??
Maybe, just maybe, they are doing a lot more than they get credit for!!

How about the sunset clause?? Suppose that would have been there without the NRA??
How much worse might the GCA 1968 have been with out the NRA??
Maybe, just maybe, they are doing a lot more than they get credit for!!
Something's better than nothing.

I know they did some stuff and should get credit for it. l don't mistake that. I was referring earlier about how people complained about them failing them without helping them in the first place. Just saying not everyone would have been able to help them during those times.

I've got complaints about all of the gun rights org's I've dealt with/contributed to. That goes for SAF and OFF too. But I'll say this, I would never consider not being a member of the NRA. Why? Because they, more than any other group in this country, has more sway over congress, on the national level, than all the others combined. No, I don't agree with everything they do or have done, but damn folks, they do fight for our rights, and you simply can't deny that.

Consider the attempt by Obama, through the ATF, to ban sales on 'green tip' AR ammo - one of the most common, and most cost effective, rounds for plinking. It was the NRA that got their butts in front of congress men and women and rallied the troops to fight that ridiculous ban - and it worked.

And how about the fact that every single anti-gun organization and politician out there absolutely hates the NRA. From Hillary Clinton to Michael Bloomberg to Kate Brown and Floyd Prozanski - they see the NRA as THE organization to beat when it comes to furthering gun control. How many times do you see politicians quake in their boots over the actions of OFF, SAF, GOA, etc? No, it's the NRA that they fear, because, on a national level, the NRA has some big time influence - no one can deny that.

So, are they perfect? Nope. Have they done some things I don't like? Yep. Are they worth the price of a single lifetime membership? Every damn penny.

I know there are some big NRA haters, and I get that. But damn folks, we need to be UNITED against the anti-gun onslaught coming out of Washington D.C. Show me any other group in America that has the influence and power of the NRA - there are none. I think every serious gun owner should be a member - as well as a member of OFF, SAF, GOA, etc. We need them all. That's one of the things that pizzes me off about Republicans - they'll refuse to support anyone or anything that isn't EXACTLY how they want it to be. In the meantime, our anti-gun enemies will rally the troops and support their cause even if it's not exactly what they want. If we want any hope to fight them, we need to support the groups that are doing the work, even if they're not perfect. 5M NRA members right now, only 5M! There should be 100M! Can you imagine the power they'd have with that many members? Maybe then they could get some sh!t done on the state level too in places like OR and WA.

What he said. I wish I could put my thoughts into writing this well.

I don't know of any other organization, gun related or not, that Democrats hate more than the NRA. That is reason enough for me.

Honestly, I think if every single lawful gun owner in America supported the NRA, gun control would come to a screeching halt once and for all. As it sits, the power of 5 million members has a lot of pull - jump that to the estimated 100 million gun owners in the US - they would be unstoppable. Too bad 95% of gun owners don't think it's worth a little $$ to protect those rights at the national level. Man, what could be done with 100 million gun owners behind the NRA. I suppose most would rather just b1tch about them, then wonder why their rights are constantly under attack.

There is a 5th benefit...
A deluge of junk mail.
It took me several emails to slow it down.

They must spend a ton of money sending mailings out.

It's best to call them & request the stoppage because they actually do it while on the phone. It's so easy even caveman can do it....;)

So do credit card companies, many companies do it and it works because you gotta spend $$$$ to make $$$$.

I look forward to a lifetime at some point. I am NOT a member.

I will get my boys a lifetime as well.

Some people forget that the NRA is just that:

National
rifle
association

National.

About people being reactive:
Not everyone has the time to follow all of the crap that happens everywhere. We have lives to live and these guys are out wed and ears in that aspect.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top