JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I see a couple people working, maybe with flyers in hand or a sign on a table, I'm probably somewhat inclined to pause and see what's being pimped. "Recall Kate Brown?" Yeah, I'll play along.

But some homely, hairy chick patrolling the Food Coop parking lot and asking about my voter status, with no explanation as to why, will be politely dismissed (actually, much more nicely than what I jokingly described above). And here's an idea... Maybe tell me what you're trying to accomplish first. Just a thought.

If indicate that I'm not interested, then buzz off and go pester somebody else. I don't need some smart mouth attitude... "Oh, so you don't care if all the spotted owls are killed?"

Start up with the mouth like that and you're going to get an abruptly concise piece of my mind.
Your missing an opportunity here. Sign their petition, Mr. J. Fred Muggs........
Wee Willy Winkie?

Does this seem like a good introductory page for a website opposing these initiatives? Please comment. Maybe help shorten it.

A Portland group is collecting signatures to put gun-control initiatives on the ballot. Please decline to sign if asked. Don't give up your rights of self protection. Those laws don't affect crime.

IP17 and IP18 punish law-abiding people who are NOT the problem, and do nothing about criminals who ARE the problem. People who already ignore assault and murder laws also ignore gun laws. You know this is true because repeat offenders are forbidden from having guns, but they have them anyway. What does stop attackers? Often it is someone else with a gun - the gun these feel-good initiatives punish you for having.

How do we know those laws have no effect on crime?
In 1994, Congress passed laws restricting semi-automatic weapons and magazine sizes. The law had a 10-year sunset provision. Researchers from both sides of that issue studied its effects on crime over the following decade and found no effect on crime. Because of those results, Congress let the law sunset.

How else do we know those laws don't affect crime?
Ask any police officer if laws banning so-called "semi-automatic" weapons or larger magazines affect crime. They will tell you no. PoliceOne, an organization of about 380,000 active and 70,000 retired officers, surveyed 15,000 members on gun control policies in 2013. 71% of respondents said that a ban on so-called "assault weapons" would have no effect on violent crime. 20% of the respondents said it would make crime worse. The numbers were even more striking when asking about magazine size restrictions.
This is a link to a summary page:

Gun control doesn't work. Repeat offender control does work. Why not do that instead? Because it takes political courage, which our politicians don't have. Easier to blame gun owners. Don't buy it.

You may not be worried about self-protection today. Do you really want to make that a lifetime decision? Maybe an ex gets violent or people from a close-by encampment show up in your house, or other predators become an immediate emergency. When seconds count, the police are minutes away. They write good reports, but they can't protect you quickly enough to matter. When you need protection, you want the ability to get it. You don't want to pay with your rights for the crimes of a handful of repeat offenders who should have been in jail.

My wife says I'm forgetful. I might forget what county I live in, forget my real name, forget my actual address and just go ahead and sign their petition anyway. If I remember correctly an invalid signature invalidates a whole page.
That would depend whether a progressive was checking the signatures.

Does this seem too wordy for a flyer? Or is it about right? Please suggest improvements. Target audience is people who might be asked to sign the petitions.

DONT SIGN THE PETITIONS

Police officers overwhelmingly say more gun laws won't reduce crime.

They hurt you, but not the violent offenders who are making everyone's life miserable.

Repeat offenders commit 90% of violent crimes. The same FEW people, already known to the police, already banned from having guns, but they have guns anyway. More laws affect you, not them.

When seconds count, the police are 10-20 minutes away. Don't sign away your rights of self defense. You may need them one day. Or your daughter might.

Scan this QR code to learn the truth. You won't see it on network TV.

QR code at bottom

Does this seem too wordy for a flyer? Or is it about right? Please suggest improvements. Target audience is people who might be asked to sign the petitions.

DONT SIGN THE PETITIONS

Police officers overwhelmingly say more gun laws won't reduce crime.

They hurt you, but not the violent offenders who are making everyone's life miserable.

Repeat offenders commit 90% of violent crimes. The same FEW people, already known to the police, already banned from having guns, but they have guns anyway. More laws affect you, not them.

When seconds count, the police are 10-20 minutes away. Don't sign away your rights of self defense. You may need them one day. Or your daughter might.

QR code at bottom
I like it!

My 2 cents, to be taken with a grain of salt:

Where I live, the target audience likely are the daughters. We're all getting indoctrinated in college, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to appeal to the female college students, who are a political target regardless, in addition to the sons and parents. The idea that young people in Oregon can realistically defend themselves with something better than mace, in a town with an out of control homeless situation, police force with their hands tied, etc., should be normalized in the flyer somehow. The audience should feel like there's something positive, empowering, and legitimate about owning a gun and knowing how to use it, before they'll bother to stand up for gun rights. The negative message alone might not motivate them IMO

Some of these people are the kind that expect a gun to go off by itself if they look at it wrong, it all seems very taboo, and education and training doesn't enter their minds. Many of them won't care about a flyer that seems like it's aimed at someone else's dad. I know for a fact that many of them associate "gun people" with all manner of extremism, insecurity, tacticool-ness, etc. If they had guns, they'd probably keep them locked up with one box of untouched FMJ.

Also, 99% of them probably won't scan the QR code, so you might as well state your case as much as possible while you have their attention.

Last Edited:
I like it!

Where I live, the target audience likely are the daughters. We're all getting indoctrinated in college, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to appeal to the female college students, who are a political target regardless, in addition to the sons and parents. The idea that young people in Oregon can realistically defend themselves with something better than mace, in a town with an out of control homeless situation, police force with their hands tied, etc., should be normalized in the flyer somehow. The audience should feel like there's something positive, empowering, and legitimate about owning a gun and knowing how to use it, before they'll bother to stand up for gun rights. The negative message alone might not motivate them IMO

Some of these people are the kind that expect a gun to go off by itself if they look at it wrong, it all seems very taboo, and education and training doesn't enter their minds. Many of them won't care about a flyer that seems like it's aimed at someone else's dad. I know for a fact that many of them associate "gun people" with all manner of extremism, insecurity, tacticool-ness, etc. If they had guns, they'd probably keep them locked up with one box of untouched FMJ.

Also, 99% of them probably won't scan the QR code, so you might as well state your case as much as possible while you have their attention.
Perhaps more than one kind of flyer then. Your point is well taken. I agree that the U of O audience differs from suburban moms audience.

Can you suggest something?

I will also try an edit too

Maybe we need a few kinds. This is a new try.

DONT SIGN THE PETITIONS

Police officers overwhelmingly say more gun laws won't reduce crime. They hurt you, but don't affect repeat violent offenders. Ask a cop.

Repeat offenders commit most violent crimes. The same FEW people, already known to the police, already banned from having guns, but have guns anyway. Ask a cop. They will verify this.

A gun makes you equal to a 250 pound attacker. When seconds count, the police are 10-20 minutes away. Even if they do catch your attacker, he is out of jail before you are out of the hospital.

You may not need a gun today. But when you do need one, it's urgent. A violent ex, people from the encampment down the road, political extremists. All are capable of sudden extreme violence. Don't sign away your ability to defend yourself based on false logic that giving up your defense will stop crime. It has not worked in any US cities it was tried.

QR code at bottom

Last Edited:
Maybe we need a few kinds. This is a new try.

DONT SIGN THE PETITIONS

Police officers overwhelmingly say more gun laws won't reduce crime. They hurt you, but don't affect repeat violent offenders. Ask a cop.

Repeat offenders commit 90% of violent crimes. The same FEW people, already known to the police, already banned from having guns, but have guns anyway.

A gun makes you equal to a 250 pound attacker. When seconds count, the police are 10-20 minutes away. Even if they do catch your attacker, he is out of jail before you are out of the hospital.

You may not need a gun today. But when you decide you need one, it's urgent. A violent ex, people from the encampment down the road, political extremists. All are capable of sudden extreme violence. Don't sign away your ability to defend yourself based on false logic that giving up your defense will stop crime. It has not worked in any US cities it was tried.

QR code at bottom
Good stuff!

Are you guys still considering action on all of the items posted above??.... I took a few minutes and threw together a mock up of brochure.. a tri-fold. Would be happy to share.
I would also suggest that if we are to do something, hiring a professional designer/printing. I would be open to pitching $100.. assume we could get a good deal to do the same. Design should likely be no more than $200-400... should be able to get .pdf for each to print our own, or i know a good printer to quote supplying for all.. Supply logistics could be detailed at a later time.

I know we have a bunch of home/garden shows coming up, as well as many other distribution options.. maybe direct mail if we partner with someone like OFF to utilize their fundraising?

I don't have all of the stats to fill the brochure, would rely on work from Dancinghippos and others.. but have a basic concept and specific input on delivery of material.

I already bought and registered a domain name and have some words. I lost a web builder but found another. My artwork isn't much. If you can make it look good, I have words and links to other sites with more information.

I envision a website that introduces the reason why it is there, then refutes the dominant claims against guns and their owners.

Over the last year I have posted many of those arguments here to share with others so they can critique and forward to others. Easy to find by searching by my name dancinghippos.

I am also willing to kick in some money to pay for a brochure to be printed.

Is Mothers' Day. Need to run off. I will check back later. We can exchange private messages too.

Last Edited:
It would've almost been more entertaining to create a portal that looks a lot like LEVO's page and allows you to "virtually sign" petitions for 17 and 18. For one, they wouldn't be. For two, put the shoe on the other foot - the same group that wants to publish the names of CPL people or gun owners might not like the idea that their information could go easily onto the Internet for all to see.

Please get em the flyers and I can contribute $ to support this as well.
Me too. I have bunches of information and can help cover the costs of printed material. Am shorter on time and graphic design skills. If we can agree on the format of a flyer and web site, we can next find a graphic designer and web builder.

I like it!

Your post makes sense. Any chance you can write something that the target audience where you are can hear and accept? I will check back soon. Thanks.

"Cops know this, politicians don't."
Politicians damn well know it but they will never bring it to light that they know it to "their" constituents.
Snakes!
No, but they do gleefully tell us that the National Chiefs of Police support their anti-gun position, neglecting to mention that Chiefs of Police are political animals who - not surprisingly - only support the stance of the politicians who appointed them.

Hey, here's an idea. POSTERS! A picture is worth a thousand words and gets a point across a lot quicker than a speech. How about selecting & enlarging a couple dozen pertinent memes from the several gazillian we can find right here at NWFA? Have them available for carry by a few truth squads setting up at those bubbleguming signature gathering locations?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top