JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As of this posting, I'm now going to buy the Ruger AR.

I read more about it.

Wow, this AR sounds like a great deal.

To get a great trigger, I had to buy Geissele after market triggers and for QD sling connectors, more money, a better stock for cheek resting, I had to change out stocks, and on and on and on. Oh, and no free floating barrel or m-lok options...

How much did it cost me without such goodies....well, I don't want to say...

This Ruger AR, is a darn fine deal.

As of this posting, I'm now going to buy the Ruger AR.

I read more about it.

Wow, this AR sounds like a great deal.

To get a great trigger, I had to buy Geissele after market triggers and for QD sling connectors, more money, a better stock for cheek resting, I had to change out stocks, and on and on and on. Oh, and no free floating barrel or m-lok options...

How much did it cost me without such goodies....well, I don't want to say...

This Ruger AR, is a darn fine deal.
Just don't shoot it and you can join the club...:D

Sometimes, it's just nice to have, or for my OCD side, I like things in pairs. If one is good, two is better. There's a few items in the safe that are purely unforeseen duplicates of favorites that do see regular use.

What can I say, I'm a bit complex... I like Earl Grey double bergermont with my honey lavender pound cake... :eek:

Because plans and situations change. And finances go up and down. And sometimes you imagine you need something and it's the fact that you never shoot it that proves you dont.

And because sometimes you can figure out the gun isnt workable for your intended purpose only by owning it for a while, even if you dont shoot it. And/Or it gets superceeded by something in the same niche before you get around to shooting. I owned a Ruger Redhawk 7.5 inch .44 I never shot. I bought it to be a woods gun, but found out there was no way I could comfortably carry it and be able to sit down. I could with the 6 inch .357s I had. And also with the Anaconda 6 inch .44 I picked up a little later. And the Ruger had a heavy trigger but the Anaconda was a dream. So I kept, carried, and shot the Colt and sold the Ruger. I like long barrel revolvers these days, but still have no use for 7.5 inchers. If im going to belt carry it needs to shorter. If I'm going to carry in a pack or shoot at a range, I'd prefer it be longer.

Short answer to make it clear.
I bought a safe as a coffin, cause I'm cheap.
I opened and looked inside for years. It was empty!!
Well, I was in no hurry to get inside, so something more fitting got residence.
But you see, I have the Penthouse, and know the combination.
We're all going to the same place, at the same time. ;)

Sometimes, it's just nice to have, or for my OCD side, I like things in pairs. If one is good, two is better. There's a few items in the safe that are purely unforeseen duplicates of favorites that do see regular use.

What can I say, I'm a bit complex... I like Earl Grey double bergermont with my honey lavender pound cake... :eek:

My OCD requires that I have an equal number of long guns and hand guns...at least that's how I explain it to the bookeeper...

The only other guns I've bought and never fired were a couple of surplus SW police .38 revolvers. I had ss .357s, so didnt need them. But a local gun store owner had bought them, figured out he didnt really have shelf space for them, and mentioned them to and offered them to me at cost. $50 each. Used guns fully functional, the serious wear really only holster wear. By a week later I had sold both through Nichol Ads for $150 each, still a great deal for the buyers and a nice profit. Those were the days.

The only other guns I've bought and never fired were a couple of surplus SW police .38 revolvers. I had ss .357s, so didnt need them. But a local gun store owner had bought them, figured out he didnt really have shelf space for them, and mentioned them to and offered them to me at cost. $50 each. Used guns fully functional, the serious wear really only holster wear. By a week later I had sold both through Nichol Ads for $150 each, still a great deal for the buyers and a nice profit. Those were the days.
That would be a sweet find.

I've always been curious why I'll see guns in the ads being sold that haven't ever been shot. I get not shooting older relic's if the cost to repair isn't worth someone doing. I'm talking about the 4-5 year old gun that has sat in a safe for it's entire life, yet hasn't been shot...What am I missing?

"Collectors" are a whole different "thing". I personally have never had any desire to have a gun I can just look at but hey that's me. I have told the story of one time I ended up with a Mod 29 "collector". It was one of those that came in a wood box display case. Guy pre internet, short on cash, made and offer too good to pass. It had never been fired, not even the line around the cylinder from the hand dragging. So it sat, bothered me so much I went out and bought a beat up 29 even though I was not really "into" these. That one I could go shoot. Long later a collector just had to have the nice one and he paid me so much for it I was doing the happy dance all the way home from the show. He seemed happy, I was sure as hell happy.
Before they made buying and selling such a PITA I rarely bought a NIB gun. I would watch the ads for what I wanted used. Was glad to buy one already used. If I bought it NIB it was only going to stay new for as long as it took me to get to a shooting spot.

These are made for the Quotes thread....:p
I take your point, DB. Seems like a contradiction. But depends on the type of "gun". With respect to the more "personal" gun, here's a better quote, in the 2nd verse to be sung to Hey Lolly. (Lyrics by me, Creative Commons license with attribution; that is CC-BY.)

Pretty man can be self-centered. Hey Lolly, Lolly Lo.
Plainer man will be considerate. Hey Lolly, Lolly Lo.

Some are big and some are little. Hey Lolly, Lolly Lo.
I have always liked the middle. Hey Lolly, Lolly Lo.

Younger man is faster, stronger. Hey Lolly, Lolly Lo.
Older man will last much longer. Hey,Lolly, Lolly Lo.

I take your point, DB. Seems like a contradiction. But depends on the type of "gun". With respect to the more "personal" gun, here's a better quote, in the 2nd verse to be sung to Hey Lolly. (Lyrics by me, Creative Commons license with attribution; that is CC-BY.)

Pretty man can be self-centered. Hey Lolly, Lolly Lo.
Plainer man will be considerate. Hey Lolly, Lolly Lo.

Some are big and some are little. Hey Lolly, Lolly Lo.
I have always liked the middle. Hey Lolly, Lolly Lo.

Younger man is faster, stronger. Hey Lolly, Lolly Lo.
Older man will last much longer. Hey,Lolly, Lolly Lo.
Touche'

I own quite a number of NiB firearms. I used to pick things up when I could get better than good pricing through sales, rebates or both. Some day those may be pressed into service for use in defending not only my land, but the land of my neighbors that share a mutual property line with me. If not by me, then by my heirs. In my view, being prepared often means having something but not needing it.

Or, the short answer: 'cuz I can.
That's about the size of it.
I have a few that are sitting in the safe waiting
Most recently I bought a Remington RP-9
Sportsmen's had them for $199. I wasn't really in the market for one but I couldn't resist the price. I will probably get around to shooting it someday.
Maybe

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top