JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No.

They would have to prove that I bought it after the BGC law went into effect.

If it was a firearm that was bought by the seller before the BGC law went into effect, then they would have to find the seller and have the seller testify that they sold it after the law went into effect - which a seller who skirts the law would probably be reluctant to do since they would most likely be in more trouble than the buyer.

Could they find the seller? Maybe, maybe not. If the seller had bought it from an FFL then sure, but if the seller had bought it from another private party, who had bought it from a private party, and so on, it would be difficult. I don't keep track of who I sell my firearms to most of the time - not over time - and I am sure that at least half the firearms I have sold have probably been in turn sold to someone else.

Which gets to the crux of the issue; such laws, when they involve the serial # of the firearm, are more about firearm registration than about BGCs.

And what purpose would a government entity have for registration?

Confiscation is the only reason I can think of.

Registration doesn't stop gun crime. You can't reliably trace a firearm used in a crime by the projectile - it is just too easy to change barrels on many guns without any record of purchasing the parts to do so since those parts are not considered a firearm themselves - even to the point of changing the caliber, and you would have to have a suspect to start with and/or have a projectile from the same firearm used in a different crime previously.

You can't by the firing pin marks or the shell casings for the same reasons.

Eventually you have to have a suspect and recover their firearm and hope that they were stupid enough to not use a different barrel/etc. during the crime. Plus, a person can just say their firearm was lost or stolen (only 11 states require such reports, OR & WA are not among those states).

Plus, government entities simply do not care that much about solving crimes by these means. What they do care about is the balance of power between the citizens and the government itself. Eventually it will come around to firearm bans and then confiscation. Connecticut is already there and one could argue New York and California among others, are also.

Gun owners in Conn basically told their legislature to shove where the sun don't shine.

Would cost a lot of money to open "state transfer shops" all over the place. Wouldn't that ruin the no financial impact part?

Yes. As soon as the state has to pay for the $400,000 (financial impact of state revenue from $10 fee), or the estimated $1.5 million (gross extrapolation from the expected fees) for store transfer fees, suddenly it probably wouldn't be worth supporting when they have to pay for it. "Unfunded mandate" is another way of describing it. Especially if it is supposed to be for the general public good.

The state does not pay for anything. You do.They don't give a crap about the money, it will come from other funds like highway or some hidden sources.

Instead of boycotts, I still believe supporting 2nd amendment friendly business is the way to go. We know that Kroger and their other branches like Fred Myer are good examples. We should advertise that their support has INCREASED their business as much as 21% for countering MDA. That way their is no sacrifice to us, just positive action.

How about a sticky for friendly establishments?

This Commiforniagon law was the last straw for my family. We have just moved to Idaho-Montana border free state. The formerly Great State of Oregun is sadly now a lost cause gone the way of the People's Republik of Commiefornia. Stay and "fight" the Bloomberg-Gates-Ballmer money machine? I don't think so. At least it won't happen in Idaho in the next 30 years. But Oregun will have all of the California add-on incrementalism gun control laws added over time, like handgun and long gun registration, 10 day waiting period, locked and unloaded with no mag in mag well while transporting, transporting only allowed to gun range, background check for C&Rs, no open carry, etc. , etc. ad nauseum. Death by a thousand paper cuts -- incrementalism.

Just got this incrementalism news from Oregon Firearms Federation: When SB 941, the universal gun registration bill, passed on Monday we told you to expect more gun legislation. Now we have it.

House Democrat Rep Brian Clem has introduced HB 3553.
This bill is the result of the "concessions" he claims to have extracted from leadership to buy his "yes" vote on the worst gun bill ever passed in Oregon.

Clem told us that he agreed to vote to destroy your liberty, your privacy, and your rights in exchange for these important changes in the bill. (Clem had originally signaled that he would vote "no" on the bill.)

So Clem teamed up with Democrat House Rep Paul Evans and introduced this "compromise." It is nothing short of comical.

(Keep in mind, Evans, who many were deluded into thinking was "pro-gun," has called for universal gun registration and also blatantly lied about the registration portion of SB 941. )

So what did Clem get in exchange for selling out the gun owners of his district and the state? He got a pathetic joke of a bill that gives Oregonians a "tax credit" for the fees they will be forced to pay the state in order to register their firearms, enter their personal info in a state police database and further the goal of future confiscation.

Clem and Evans seem to think that Oregonians are so stupid that they will see this absurd insult as a "pro gun" bill.

Sorry guys, your transparent effort to rehabilitate yourselves after bowing to the Bloomberg money isn't fooling anyone.

If this is the best you can do after being slapped around by the Speaker, give it up. We all know whose side you play for.

Through reading what's being said here, I think all points are valid, to one degree or another.

I for one, don't believe working within the system is going to change anything, at least nothing much. We just saw how 85% +or- citizens opposing SB941 in Salem did working in the system…to no avail. It's rigged game guys. The (unlawful) bill passed while we were asleep.

I also don't believe that non-compliance is going to work, at least not very well. Some of us may get fined, jailed or worse, lose our weapons.

I'm 61, don't see retirement any time soon and have most of the firearms that I could want or need…barring a Dandy that I must have and don't know it yet:).

I believe that keeping my profile low, although the NSA is reviewing this post as I type, is the best strategy. Don't ask, don't tell.
Revenge is a meal best served up cold.

Will

Where did you get the number that 85% of citizens opposed SB941? If that were really true, it would not have passed. Make no mistake, there are plenty of people, even some gun owners, that were backing SB941. Bloomberg just gave them the push they needed to finally get it through. If we really had an 85% majority, we wouldn't be talking about the passage of SB941 because it never would have gotten that far. Now, maybe 85% of the geographical area of Oregon opposes it, but certainly not 85% of the people. I only wish it were true that 85% did oppose. Our work would be done.

Where did you get the number that 85% of citizens opposed SB941? If that were really true, it would not have passed. Make no mistake, there are plenty of people, even some gun owners, that were backing SB941. Bloomberg just gave them the push they needed to finally get it through. If we really had an 85% majority, we wouldn't be talking about the passage of SB941 because it never would have gotten that far. Now, maybe 85% of the geographical area of Oregon opposes it, but certainly not 85% of the people. I only wish it were true that 85% did oppose. Our work would be done.

I don't agree, Obama care was shoved down our throats and the majority didn't want it. Problem is when one party has the majority and it's members are corrupt in making laws.

To the OP, my biggest problem with suggesting such actions is that you'll never, ever, convince enough people to go along with a plan like that. And those that do participate have to be willing to be made an example. As far as we know, no one in Washington has yet been caught, arrested or prosecuted under I-594, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to happen. All you need is one heavily anti-gun sheriff or chief of police that wants to make an example, set up a sting and catch someone. I wonder, would the community back them with the full force of their numbers and their money? I don't know, but I don't think I'd want to be the test case to find out. Because you have to consider this - what if all the gun owners don't come to your aid?

I don't agree, Obama care was shoved down our throats and the majority didn't want it. Problem is when one party has the majority and it's members are corrupt in making laws.

Do you really think so? Support for Obamacare was quite high when it was initially passed. I've met more people than I can count that were for Obamacare. Only in the last year or so as people finally realized what they got (taxes, fees, less coverage than expected, higher premiums, revoked subsidies) that people really started to see what a crock they supported. But yes, they did have considerable support when this passed - just think of all the low-income voters that were hoping for free healthcare - and there are a lot of them.

Only in recent months have the poll numbers shown we have any kind of majority in opposition to Obamacare. But even now, it's at best, 55-60% on a national level. And that's still not enough to move it. If it truly were 85% in opposition, you might be able to do something. My point to the OP was that we never had anywhere near 85% in opposition to SB941.

The next election should be interesting and should give us an idea of what to expect in the future. This the first really oppressive gun law to pass here. Once people realize what their legislators have done, we may see this majority disappear. Remember, Oregon has a growing number of independents that are not tied to any particular party, and they may just be willing to send Salem a message that they don't appreciate having their liberties removed. Couple that with the 'silent' gun owners that have sat back and even helped elect some of these folks, and you may see something different come down the road. As I've said before, even if no one else can do it, I'll hold on to some optimism, and I'll be working in the next election to help make that happen. Is the system broken? Yes. But it's not a lost cause. We just need more citizens aware and involved that they can and do have power over these folks, with the right numbers.

I'm all for your ideas too JJ, but I'm not ready to abandon the system. If the system is really as broken as many say, and we can't do anything about it, then why even bother quoting the Constitution? We quote it because we know that even for all their anti-gun BS, even they have limits that dipwads like Bloomberg can't cross. What they are doing, however, is pushing right up to those limits, in every creative way possible. They can't take the 2nd away from us since that would take a vote of 2/3 of the states, and I don't think even Bloomberg could pull that off.

Do you really think so? Support for Obamacare was quite high when it was initially passed. I've met more people than I can count that were for Obamacare. Only in the last year or so as people finally realized what they got (taxes, fees, less coverage than expected, higher premiums, revoked subsidies) that people really started to see what a crock they supported. But yes, they did have considerable support when this passed - just think of all the low-income voters that were hoping for free healthcare - and there are a lot of them.

Only in recent months have the poll numbers shown we have any kind of majority in opposition to Obamacare. But even now, it's at best, 55-60% on a national level. And that's still not enough to move it. If it truly were 85% in opposition, you might be able to do something. My point to the OP was that we never had anywhere near 85% in opposition to SB941.

The next election should be interesting and should give us an idea of what to expect in the future. This the first really oppressive gun law to pass here. Once people realize what their legislators have done, we may see this majority disappear. Remember, Oregon has a growing number of independents that are not tied to any particular party, and they may just be willing to send Salem a message that they don't appreciate having their liberties removed. Couple that with the 'silent' gun owners that have sat back and even helped elect some of these folks, and you may see something different come down the road. As I've said before, even if no one else can do it, I'll hold on to some optimism, and I'll be working in the next election to help make that happen. Is the system broken? Yes. But it's not a lost cause. We just need more citizens aware and involved that they can and do have power over these folks, with the right numbers.

I'm all for your ideas too JJ, but I'm not ready to abandon the system. If the system is really as broken as many say, and we can't do anything about it, then why even bother quoting the Constitution? We quote it because we know that even for all their anti-gun BS, even they have limits that dipwads like Bloomberg can't cross. What they are doing, however, is pushing right up to those limits, in every creative way possible. They can't take the 2nd away from us since that would take a vote of 2/3 of the states, and I don't think even Bloomberg could pull that off.

SB941 was built on a lie just like obamacare was, that is corruption. Hard to explain my view of the system but I will try without being too boring.:D We have the very best system in the world but corrupt people running it. Everywhere you turn that corruption is ripping society apart, people are afraid and see no future. Banking is ripping us off, forced obamacare on healthy people is stealing, riots growing all over the nation, 93 million who want to work but can't find work that pays. I could go on for a page but you get the drift.

We have no power under a corrupt system, those who work to make change are swallowed up by the system and become part of it. They are bought off or brought in and neutered by those who control the way bills are brought forward. The system is a cancer and that rot is killing us. It's supposed to have checks and balances but has turned all political.

Power we do have is the purse, we can defund the corruption. Even though they can print their own money they still need the 9 trillion dollars economy to keep them going. A targeted boycott will get their attention, may even get an attorney general to go after the corrupt. Money is the only true power we as a group have, what else works? We have been voting for decades but it just gets worse, time to work outside the system.

You guys want to make a difference get on Facebook and Twitter and just mention the boycott of Oregon because of the gun emergency. Every hit we get makes it all grow and gains attention. May not even need a boycott if we spookem a bit.

You guys want to make a difference get on Facebook and Twitter and just mention the boycott of Oregon because of the gun emergency. Every hit we get makes it all grow and gains attention. May not even need a boycott if we spookem a bit.

Social media that isn't conducted in a room of our peers (i.e. general public) needs to be done!

SB941 was built on a lie just like obamacare was, that is corruption. Hard to explain my view of the system but I will try without being too boring.:D We have the very best system in the world but corrupt people running it. Everywhere you turn that corruption is ripping society apart, people are afraid and see no future. Banking is ripping us off, forced obamacare on healthy people is stealing, riots growing all over the nation, 93 million who want to work but can't find work that pays. I could go on for a page but you get the drift.

We have no power under a corrupt system, those who work to make change are swallowed up by the system and become part of it. They are bought off or brought in and neutered by those who control the way bills are brought forward. The system is a cancer and that rot is killing us. It's supposed to have checks and balances but has turned all political.

Power we do have is the purse, we can defund the corruption. Even though they can print their own money they still need the 9 trillion dollars economy to keep them going. A targeted boycott will get their attention, may even get an attorney general to go after the corrupt. Money is the only true power we as a group have, what else works? We have been voting for decades but it just gets worse, time to work outside the system.

I would agree with you 100% except for one thing - we still have the vote. The power of the people is in the vote. The problem is that the people are not united in a common cause. Rather it's a constant back and forth of my party vs your party. It hasn't always been like that, it doesn't always need to be like that. I believe it can change, but I don't think it can happen overnight.

Your boycott is a good idea, but to have any impact, it will take a lot of people participating in agreement. The same goes for the vote. Get a good majority to vote one particular way in one election, and I guarantee you it would get their attention. We still hold the power, but only when we're united. Ultimately, I believe it will have to start in education of the next generations. And we're losing control there by allowing things like common core to teach them not the basics, but an ideal, an ideal of the state. Those of us that don't put our children in public schools are fighting just that very idea.

Yes we can boycott, and I hope an effort like that works. But I don't think we should abandon the system - if we do, and if the boycott doesn't work, we're totally lost. We need to hit them on multiple fronts, this shouldn't be a single formation type of attack. Recalls, elections, boycotts, continual pressure, educating and winning the voters - all of them are options we need to make use of. I'll keep saying it, I don't think the system is so broken or corrupt that we can't make a change, it will just take considerable effort on the part of a lot of folks to make it happen.

For just a little evidence of that - look at the response from the head of the Republican Party in Clackamas County. Why should he care if folks want to put up a recall on Brent Barton? How does that hurt their efforts in any way (I asked, he didn't answer that question), yet he implored us to hold off until the 2016 election. I have to wonder why that response? If we're just a bunch of pro-gun nuts with no real influence on the system, then why even bother talking to us? I think they know why. Colorado was a reminder to folks all over the country that we can still move the system. I find myself wondering if they're nervous because if we get a recall victory in Clackamas County, we'll have, in essence, shown them up, doing something their $800,000 couldn't do in the last election. That worry gives me hope that the system can still work for us.

We need government so understand I am not anti government, but we need good responsive government. Today they are far too arrogant and corrupt to ever get a fair deal out of them. You say the system works when you vote but those up for elections are gerrymandering the district so they will win. Tricks like this are common so odds are elections won't work for the common man.

While I always vote I know the elections are rigged but still want them to know I voted.

Take the money from them and they have to lay off the bureaucrats that do their bidding. Well anyway the next election will be lost and we will lose more rights by the time the election gets here. Between now and then we could cut their funds by millions. After all these years I have no faith in "wait and see what happens".

Don't give up we got a few people to wake up. Don't let them go back to sleep, keep them involved and the pressure on Salem. Constant pressure jam them with e-mails and phone calls
I am a believer in recalls. Any thing that denies them a smooth road and makes them think about hey ! maybe I did screw up.

One member here has got us in the search engines with one post on the boycott. If you guys would go to cal guns and make more post then it would get the ball rolling. Come on now, take a minute and help.

I may have miss wrote my meaning. I watched the proceedings in Salem and by my count, 85%+ of the people (there) were against it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top