JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I hear "Operator"...
I just think of Jim Croce and his song : "Operator"...:D

And I actually was in the Army and Airborne and Ranger qualified...
As well as working in several different LRRP / LRSD Teams....:D
Andy

Pee Wee Herman!

He's an amatuer. Dark theatre and all. :s0108:

F5212D11-8049-4ED9-AF51-18DC877BFB54.gif

I like Iron sights, but I prefer scopes. I think BUIS go in the category of, "why not"

The ounces they weigh are inconsequential compared to the usefulness they serve if the primary sight system fails and you want to continue accurately shooting without much delay.

I don't fantasize about gun fighting, but if for any reason my scope stopped being accurate (dropped, frozen over, abused, whatever) it would be nice to still be able to accurately shoot without much delay, if any.

Now, that logic only flies if the BUIS are actually accessible without having to get out tools and take off an optic. Like those guys who have a bolt on scope mount on their rifle, and BUIS under it, like they are going to get out pliers and remove the scope mount and then deploy their BUIS.

There are guys who keep a spare bolt and firing pin in their grip storage. The likelihood they will need the spare bolt and firing pin is less than their scope takes a dump and they could have used irons, but if you want it, why not.

If I was depending on a single rifle for my survival, I'd want to have spare parts critical to function, on me too!

Edit: The REALLY cool people run a LPVO and an offset red dot, like Jerry Miculek, I'm not that cool yet.

Last Edited:
I dropped my rifle and snapped my rear BUIS. I figured WTF I am running an aimpoint, I don't need no stinking BUIS.

The next morning, I woke up and wanted to look through my red dot after putting in my new contacts to see if it was crisper. Battery had died!:eek:

I always put BUIS on any "serious" rifle. Agreed with others you should use a QD mount on your optic!

I dropped my rifle and snapped my rear BUIS. I figured WTF I am running an aimpoint, I don't need no stinking BUIS.

The next morning, I woke up and wanted to look through my red dot after putting in my new contacts to see if it was crisper. Battery had died!:eek:

I always put BUIS on any "serious" rifle. Agreed with others you should use a QD mount on your optic!
If a buis snaps it doesn't seem to be doing a good job at being a buis. o_O

Plastic or steel that snapped?

I have pinned front sight and have a Troy flip-up battle sights for rear sight. For HD I use iron sights, a light , small veritical grip, a sling, and a LimbSaver pad on my buttstock.

BE49B845-1D9C-441A-8FD6-014D62C7EC9B.jpeg

Last Edited:
I think what you are looking at are mostly range toys
^^^This^^^
My 223 Wylde is destined to be a range toy. If my scope breaks, I'll put it away and shoot something else... no BUIS.

My other ones have stubbornly retained their A2 FSPs until recently (okay.... I may have had something to do with that decision) because
A) they don't interfere with the FOV with magnification.
B) still useful through an electronic RDS, even if it's dead or gutted... kind of like a broken escalator will become stairs.
C) it's the toughest front sight you can put on an AR, IMO...almost indestructible and they ONLY went away when I free floated the handguards... one now has a MaTech rear sight and the other an MBUIS Pro flip up rear. I guess I'll have to put ridiculous-looking flip up front sights on em now.

Since I'm now in hoarding mode and don't want to expend the ammo to get all that crap re-zeroed, Ill probably just close my eyes and hope for the best... like I do when I'm driving.

Beyond indoor SD range, irons are a good thing either as primary or backup sights. In the field (combat, hunting) an inop optic can really ruin your fun.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads