JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, perusing through the AR thread for the umpteenth time:s0060:, I notice a lot of owners running an optic don't have BUIS's. Just curious what your reasoning behind this is if you are one of those who don't? This is not meant to be a right or wrong thread, just curious what folks have to say.:s0155:

Oh crap, my sight failed (during imaginary gun fight) give me a second bad guy to deploy these plastic doohickeys I've never practiced with.

Talking strictly about ARs with modular BUIS parts..I used to be all about the BUIS and being "prepared".. its just extra stuff on my rifle at this point.

I have a few firearms set aside for "that" type of stuff but anything with magnification or an optic of some kind now simply get a scope or red dot and don't need a BUIS.. Im not too concerned with the optic "failing" as Im not in a battle situation nor am I an operator. I think the other aspect is, without irons a firearm kind of feels incomplete in a sense.

I think a lot of folks buy into that hype and slap extra gear on their rifle because its cool or we're told we need it.. And sure things can fail thats the biggest argument.. but if at the range my optic or mount breaks.. that sure sucks.. But I often bring 2-3 firearms with me when I go shooting for that very reason to always have other things to plink with.

Many of the firearms I have that have an optic AND BUIS are from the past.. but I NEVER use the BUIS anymore on any of the firearms that DO have an optic.. it just takes up space and cost me extra money for no reason. So at this point Im one of the types to only have an optic OR irons.. BUT I dont go out of my way to have both anymore.

Everyone goes through that kind of phase with ARs.. its fun to try out what is practical and what isn't.

I think what you are looking at are mostly range toys. To me a serious fighting rifle has irons for a primary sighting system or at least back up irons that co-witness with whatever optic. I have been experimenting with A modded carry handle rear sight with center cut out to allow a 45 degree mounted rmr optic. So far I like it.

Only pussies run BUIS. In fact, a REAL MAN don't need no stinkin' sights. A beard and tattoos is all that's required to hit at 600.

Wait. I have a beard. And tattoos. And I can't shoot for sh!t. Damn it, there goes that theory.

:s0140:

I like the A1 and A2 iron sights...no optics on my AR15 Carbine.
But...
Its your rifle...use the sighting system that works best for how you shoot.
Andy
AR15.jpg

So, perusing through the AR thread for the umpteenth time:s0060:, I notice a lot of owners running an optic don't have BUIS's. Just curious what your reasoning behind this is if you are one of those who don't? This is not meant to be a right or wrong thread, just curious what folks have to say.:s0155:

Today's higher end optics are tough and many feel BUIS are a waste of space and weight.

My primary ARs have both, one with a Aimpoint on a QD mount, FSB front and fixed rear either LMT L8A or Scalarworks. my LPVO I have a set Griffin Fail Safes.

I have to admit; I didn't know what "BUIS" was for a moment there. All but one of our rifles have iron sights of various types. The one that doesn't, given to us by my wife's grandfather, sports a scope. To each their own. :s0155:

I was an Operator once! But, the heavy breathing on the other end caused me to seek a new line of work!:eek:

Same! But I was asked to leave. I was the one breathing heavy and apparently "self-loving" is generally frowned upon in the workplace. Who knew?

:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads