JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Two reasons for the question:

1.) Except for the high-end scope manufacturers, reviews of spotting scope kits indicate the the supplied tripods/mounts are next-to-worthless. Soooooooooo, one might guess that there would be an aftermarket demand.

2.) Just try to do a web search (using any combination of the words in the above title) and see what you can find. Zip, zero, zilch, nada.

Maybe I'm just nuts. Don't benchrest shooters use spotting scopes? Do they all use behind-the-bench, full-sized tripods? Not at my range.

Yeah, I am looking to buy one!

WOW I had no trouble finding scope mounts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ben...w&biw=1152&bih=697&sei=Wj9_UZyTC4qhiQK4ioCIDA

Including my own I made

Which works so well I can mount it up on the edge of the bench just to the left of the rifle scope and basically rock between the rifle scope and the spotting scope.

The scope in my photos is a little different as its a 600mm f8 Mirror Camera lens that has a Vivitar 4X eye piece adapter. Giving me a 48X scope or with my 1.4X extender a 67X scope or with my 2X adapter a 96X scope. I can also mount up one of my camera bodies on the scope and take digital photos of the targets.

I think your problem is the search strings you used. I've noticed that in the past year google gives me results it thinks I want as opposed to what I'm looking for. Adding 'tri-pod' was your downfall I think.

Thanks to all for your usual incredible help, and a special nod to "jakk586" for the final recommendation that led to a puchase!

Alpen 705 it is!

The Alpen is working fine mechanically, but I seem to have terminal fumblitis when trying to acquire the target at setup especially at 100 yards. I just can't get the combinations of screw wheels to coordinate. Think I was spoiled with camera tripods and the pan & scan handle. No such handle on the Alpen.

The Alpen itself is well made and certainly sturdy enough to securely hold the tank-of-a-scope.

The scope is a used unit I purchased from a guy here on the Forum, a Bushnell Spacemaster 15-45x60mm. When I can get the tripod set up okay, the scope works well.

Better yet, I bought a Mueller 8.5-25x44mm scope for my CZ 452 Trainer. Don't need a spotting scope for it, but still use the Busnell/Alpen combo for the Marlin XT-22/Nikon 3-9x40mm setup at 75 & 100 yards.

Thanks for the follow-up! You are very thoughful!

To help stabilize the image and make it a bit easier to adjust, hang a bean bag off the bottom of the tripod. Makes it a bit less touchy. I have a mung bean bag a friend gave me that i use to stabilize optics.

Darn, I should have come here when I was looking for a wife. Took me 25 years of searching. Smile

I still use my 1960's (?) Tasco Spotting scope. Stored in it's original box and still have the metal screw-in lens covers. It came with a tripod mount.

Search for "Bushnell Shooter's Stand", a benchtop tripod with a micro adjustment for altitude and good adjustability in azimuth. It's been around for at least 25 years and is still available.

Two reasons for the question:

1.) Except for the high-end scope manufacturers, reviews of spotting scope kits indicate the the supplied tripods/mounts are next-to-worthless. Soooooooooo, one might guess that there would be an aftermarket demand.

2.) Just try to do a web search (using any combination of the words in the above title) and see what you can find. Zip, zero, zilch, nada.

Maybe I'm just nuts. Don't benchrest shooters use spotting scopes? Do they all use behind-the-bench, full-sized tripods? Not at my range.

Yeah, I am looking to buy one!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads