JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are a couple of Nightforce scopes I would like to buy, but both are just over the $2,000 limit ($2,125 last I looked) for some long range competition categories--and even if I could buy one at a discount (e.g. open box sale), the rules refer to the MSRP, not the actual selling price. I'm not arguing the price limits for rifle and scope (rifle is also $2,000 limit), because this let's people like me get into the game without going broke. So I'm looking to Nightforce to shave its prices just a tiny bit! I have a NF 4-16 SHV scope on a Ruger Precision .308 and appreciate the clarity, return to zero, etc. Pretty much does everything I want, except illuminate the reticle.

@Ura-Ki
"...a top level optical sighting system with no equals in the business, that remains today, and the serious professionals will choose them over others because of the options..."

Ummm...no. That broad statement had some merit years ago; it does not in today's vast market of high-end optics.
While I'm still a big fan of NF, who they are, where they've come from and what they pioneered, (keeping in mind that optical clarity is highly subjective based on the user's eye), there are Z E R O comparisons between my NF 7-35 ATACR F1 (NF's premier optic) and my 5-25 Theta Tangent, few with my Kahles 624i, and definitely not $1500 better than any of my three Vortex AMG 6-24'S on my dedicated hunting rigs. If I didn't get it on a rig I traded for, I wouldn't have spent money for the NF.

Last Edited:
Ummm...no. That broad statement had some merit years ago; it does not in today's vast market of high-end optics.
While I'm still a big fan of NF, who they are, where they've come from and what they pioneered, (keeping in mind that optical clarity is highly subjective based on the user's eye), there are Z E R O comparisons between my NF 7-35 ATACR F1 (NF's premier optic) and my 5-25 Theta Tangent, few with my Kahles 624i, and definitely not $1500 better than any of my three Vortex AMG 6-24'S on my dedicated hunting rigs. If I didn't get it on a rig I traded for, I wouldn't have spent money for the NF.[/QUOTE]

The Theta Tangent comes at a price tag of $4600+, way more than the NF ATACR, so it should match the NF's characteristics!

While I'm still a big fan of NF, who they are, where they've come from and what they pioneered, (keeping in mind that optical clarity is highly subjective based on the user's eye), there are Z E R O comparisons between my NF 7-35 ATACR F1 (NF's premier optic) and my 5-25 Theta Tangent, few with my Kahles 624i, and definitely not $1500 better than any of my three Vortex AMG 6-24'S on my dedicated hunting rigs. If I didn't get it on a rig I traded for, I wouldn't have spent money for the NF.
The Theta Tangent comes at a price tag of $4600+, way more than the NF ATACR, so it should match the NF's characteristics![/QUOTE]

You mean "Tangent Theta".

The Theta Tangent comes at a price tag of $4600+, way more than the NF ATACR, so it should match the NF's characteristics!

What's your point? I'm simply addressing his broad, blanket statement that NF has "no equals in the business, that remains today", which is just not true. The op asked honest questions, and I feel like he got a dishonest answer from a member who many seem to be under impression that he is some sort of expert.
Answers to the OPs questions:
1- When Nightforce became exclusively used by the Navy, and many sold to Army SF and Ranger units. Also in use by Air Force and USMC. The famous bullet hole scope was from a Recon unit.
2- Yes, but many others are out there that do as good if not better for more or less money and weighing less, and used by military. Other top tier options based on their service:
- Premier: just about exclusivly USMC
- Schmidt & Bender: in use by the USMC (assembled by Premier) and various units in Army SF
- Leupold: in use by the big Army with many still in Army special operations. Also used by USMC on various platforms.
3- No idea.
If Ura-Ki wants to be blindly in love with something, cool, but don't preach your opinion to a guy looking for answers/options as the end all truth and the only real option just because of his affinity for NF. I gave credit to NF where credit is due, but there are some great options out there for the money (and less) and NF isn't at the top of lists anymore. Sorry if you don't like that truth.
My comparison of NF to Tangent is right on. NF's premier scope curently is the $4000 7-35 ATACR F1 Tremor3 and the $4500 NF Beast Tremor3. Tangent's at $4600. Their companies are in the same market, yet Tangents clarity and build characteristics are far superior when looking through them and handling.
But if you are looking for a good scope that's big, overly-heavy at 4-5lbs that doubles as a framing hammer, or a tool for clubbing baby seals over the head, by all means, buy the NF. If not, buy a Vortex AMG or PST at well under 2 lbs.

You mean "Tangent Theta".[/QUOTE] LOL., yes, I meant Tangent Theta.

Last Edited:
Makin an awful lot of bold statements there fella, Yes, I am a fan, well earned in the sand box, the Balkans, the other side of the sand box and other nasty not nice places, and I carried one by choice, well proven against the others! HOW BOUT YOU?
Are they the be all, end all? Not hardly, but when the others fail and the N.F. keeps on tickin, that carries some stature! The OP was asking WHY N.F. and I gave ONE answer based on 20 years experience of why I found them best among the rest. You don't like my blanket statement, fine, but comparing the other options, I find your arguments lacking any substance or real world experience, especially Mil experience, And your getting real close to flaming, Not accepted here!
Be that as it is, the op didn't ask about opinions outside N.F!

What's your point? I'm simply addressing his broad, blanket statement that NF has "no equals in the business, that remains today", which is just not true. The op asked honest questions, and I feel like he got a dishonest answer from a member who many seem to be under impression that he is some sort of expert.
Answers to the OPs questions:
1- When Nightforce became exclusively used by the Navy, and many sold to Army SF and Ranger units. Also in use by Air Force and USMC. The famous bullet hole scope was from a Recon unit.
2- Yes, but many others are out there that do as good if not better for more or less money and weighing less, and used by military. Other top tier options based on their service:
- Premier: just about exclusivly USMC
- Schmidt & Bender: in use by the USMC (assembled by Premier) and various units in Army SF
- Leupold: in use by the big Army with many still in Army special operations. Also used by USMC on various platforms.
3- No idea.
If Ura-Ki wants to be blindly in love with something, cool, but don't preach your opinion to a guy looking for answers/options as the end all truth and the only real option just because of his affinity for NF. I gave credit to NF where credit is due, but there are some great options out there for the money (and less) and NF isn't at the top of lists anymore. Sorry if you don't like that truth.
My comparison of NF to Tangent is right on. NF's premier scope curently is the $4000 7-35 ATACR F1 Tremor3 and the $4500 NF Beast Tremor3. Tangent's at $4600. Their companies are in the same market, yet Tangents clarity and build characteristics are far superior when looking through them and handling.
But if you are looking for a good scope that's big, overly-heavy at 4-5lbs that doubles as a framing hammer, or a tool for clubbing baby seals over the head, by all means, buy the NF. If not, buy a Vortex AMG or PST at well under 2 lbs.

You mean "Tangent Theta".
LOL., yes, I meant Tangent Theta.[/QUOTE]

My point? Read the first sentence of my post. At similar price points, the quality of both brands SHOULD be similar. Furthermore, I would expect the durability of both scopes to be equal. (I've never considered scope weight on a precision rifle that, by itself, weighs 10+ lbs. Weight would certainly be a consideration if I had to pack rifle/scope for hours on end in the Sandbox.)

You are right to refute Ura-Ki's generalization; I'm not arguing that at all.

By the way, the NF 7-35 ATACR F1 currently sells for $3600 on OpticsPlanet.com, $1000 less than the Tangent. That said, the two scopes do compete for the same market segment--just so you know I'm not arguing that detail!

Lets remember Rule number 1 so I don't have to close the thread. Thanks

DB9CD22B-97EE-4DAF-A282-CFE0563597DA.jpeg

Thank you all again for the input. And even though the OP, me :), asked a few questions I am 100% aware that there are other brands in the same market. I was just curious about why NF was so highly regarded. I think I have my answer.
Thank you all.

seen NF on EOD barretts, ODA Mk13s, even some of the SDM/DMR rifles over the years. its built like a tank, reliable to a fault. IIRC the first company to add Zero stops, mil/mil turrets , etc and they were innovators who listened to the varied customer base. Though I still think NF was in its hey day 10-13yrs ago. Not that they don't continue to make solid products its just that when NF made its reputation there were not many companies in the high end tactical optics arena.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top