JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1. When did NightForce become such an "it brand" of scopes?
2. Are they really worth the coin, comparable to other brands?
3. Why the heck are they so confusing with their model numbers?

1. I would imagine it started after the first few people starting using them. I wanted one after the first time I had a chance to look through one which was an NXS 12-42 model. After I've lived with one for about 5 years now it is all they are cracked up to be. NF used to run an ad with one of their scopes shot in battle...had a hole right though the tube. It still worked but you couldn't change the zoom at that point. Pretty tough scopes.

2. I can't imagine anyone saying that are not worth it. I would buy the one I have again, but since it was discontinued I got a huge discount, which was a big factor in my purchase. As for paying full retail, which seems to be the price they all sell for since Nightforce won't let retailers sell them for less, I have not bought another one.

3. Model numbers used to be simpler. Seems like at one point they only had the NXS line and the BR line, although I could be wrong. I do think the new naming is the result of marketing efforts.

NF tree

upload_2019-1-4_21-51-8.jpeg

I have only one NF scope, the 8-32x56 NSX on my Krico. The sweet MIL spot is clearly marked on the zoom ring at ~x22, so I usually leave it there. I DO use the illuminating facility as the light goes, and targets still pop up at 700 - 800m and need dropping. I have it in Warne QR rings, having maxed out my birthday money on the scope, but I'd dearly love to have the one-piece mount from NF's own brand.

Sure, there might be better glass out there, but remember that this was bought in the UK when ITAR rules applied, and the equivalent US Optics scope, that might just have been better, was over $7000. As it was, my $2400, including 10% discount for club membership, may just have been the best scope I've ever had. My reticle, BTW, is the rather odd hollow MIL dots with dots in them...hard to explain, but maybe Ura-Ki can come up with the graphic.

Summing up, until I see something better for the same money - around $2100 here in yUK at the moment - I'm sticking.

I have only one NF scope, the 8-32x56 NSX on my Krico. The sweet MIL spot is clearly marked on the zoom ring at ~x22, so I usually leave it there. I DO use the illuminating facility as the light goes, and targets still pop up at 700 - 800m and need dropping. I have it in Warne QR rings, having maxed out my birthday money on the scope, but I'd dearly love to have the one-piece mount from NF's own brand.

Sure, there might be better glass out there, but remember that this was bought in the UK when ITAR rules applied, and the equivalent US Optics scope, that might just have been better, was over $7000. As it was, my $2400, including 10% discount for club membership, may just have been the best scope I've ever had. My reticle, BTW, is the rather odd hollow MIL dots with dots in them...hard to explain, but maybe Ura-Ki can come up with the graphic.

Summing up, until I see something better for the same money - around $2100 here in yUK at the moment - I'm sticking.

Mr. @tac Pickle an eyeball here and see here which one ya gotts!
std-rets_1.jpg
NXS_mildot.jpg
zoomimageframer_3.jpg
Me thinkith it might'ent be thus! NSX. NVD PTL .1 Mil-Radian
PN C454 available across the board on all NSX optics above 3.5X

If it's this last one, those Center Dots are .1 Mil. From there you can do the math and figure the values for each hold! Easy Peasy! Remember, you need to think Meters for Mil. Yards for MOA

I have an 8-32X56 on my BA50 and it is the nicest scope I've ever owned. Got a bunch of Leupold and Bushnells which are fine for me on other stuff but they can't touch the Night Force for clarity.

I have an 8-32X56 on my BA50 and it is the nicest scope I've ever owned. Got a bunch of Leupold and Bushnells which are fine for me on other stuff but they can't touch the Night Force for clarity.

Twins, except I went 5.5-22x56.
BA50 with blanks were the best New Years fireworks ever lol

Mr. @tac Pickle an eyeball here and see here which one ya gotts!
View attachment 534726
View attachment 534727
View attachment 534728
Me thinkith it might'ent be thus! NSX. NVD PTL .1 Mil-Radian
PN C454 available across the board on all NSX optics above 3.5X

If it's this last one, those Center Dots are .1 Mil. From there you can do the math and figure the values for each hold! Easy Peasy! Remember, you need to think Meters for Mil. Yards for MOA

That's the MILdot then. I first began using MILdots in 1967, when the British Military went metric in small arms. And now, 52 years later, I shoot on mainland Europe, with other military, paramilitary and ex-military people. I live and breathe im metric and imperial, as anybody who lives here in yUK has to, on a daily basis, but thanks for the reminder! You'll note that I mentioned leaving my scope set on x22, where the apparent MILdot is actually 1 MIL.

@Ura-K - you being a dealer and all, do you have a ARD Killflash that will fit in my 56mm scope? Or anybody elses that's fits. We have the only South-facing range in the entire yUK, and by mid-day at this time of year we all end up looking like a row of Chinamen shooting...

Not a Dealer, no connection to N.F! I can look round and see what I can find for ya!:D

Pro Tip, Make yer own Kill Flash out of a Pair of Black Knickers. Use a Soldering Iron to cut out two round pieces using a tuna can for a guide, stretch both layers over your sun shade and secure with a Lobster Claw rubber band! Works a trick!

I have a hard time coughing up more than $1k for a riflescope, and I need a fair amount of magnification owing to aging vision. For 300 yards max causal shooting it's just not worth it to me to spend more, which is why I haven't looked seriously at NF or Kahles. That said, I have peered through both brands and definitely see what the fuss is all about for those with the budget and skill to put one to good use.

I'm sold on Sightron SIII for my needs, I know they ain't no NF, I'm good with that :)

I have a hard time coughing up more than $1k for a riflescope, and I need a fair amount of magnification owing to aging vision. For 300 yards max causal shooting it's just not worth it to me to spend more, which is why I haven't looked seriously at NF or Kahles. That said, I have peered through both brands and definitely see what the fuss is all about for those with the budget and skill to put one to good use.

I'm sold on Sightron SIII for my needs, I know they ain't no NF, I'm good with that :)

I'm the opposite, can't remember the last time I spent less than a grand on a scope. Try clarity/quality of glass over magnification, I think you'll be surprised.

I'm the opposite, can't remember the last time I spent less than a grand on a scope. Try clarity/quality of glass over magnification, I think you'll be surprised.

I hear you and agree, with optics, there really isn't any substitute for quality glass.

There is one other factor I consider, value, which roughly translates into cost per unit of quality glass. I've tried many brands over the years and settled on Sightron top line scopes because for me, they offer a tremendous value proposition. In other words, when I drop a grand on one, I'm getting more like an $1800 scope. Of course I wait for sale prices, free shipping and, back in the old days, no sales tax. Did I mention being a cheapskate :)

Scopes are a very personal decision based on needs, wants and a budget. I found what works for me and wish the same for every other shooter.

bikemutt - I too am a fan of Sightron scopes. Best value of any scope I have ever tried. I do like my NF, but compared to two Sightron 10-50X SIII scopes, I would take the two Sightrons for the same price.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top