JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm guessin you guys aren't talkin hunting rifles? I should have caught that from the 6.5creed:D I'd love to put a NF on one my hunting guns but thats too much to pack around. I dont have anymore Vortex on my hunting stuff. I may go up to 20 oz but thats about my limit for scopes.

You are correct about that, but I'm putting on an 5.56 AR and one reason I'm looking specifically at them is for their light weight, 17oz is my target weight. I'm torn between a NF NX8 and a Kahles K16i

Last Edited:
You are correct about that, but I'm putting on an 5.56 AR and one reason I'm looking specifically at them is for their light weight, 17oz is my target weight. I'm torn between a NF NX8 and a Kahles K16i
Hard to go wrong with a vx6 for hunting,and leupy has a fast turnaround if something does.

I have to say Nightforce's reputation for durability and repeatable tracking is what put them at the top of my list, I have a couple of older NSX 5.5x22 and one ATACR 7x35 and they exceed my requirements , the glass on my Atacr is a step or two above the NSX. It may take another year or two of saving for another but they are tough and reliable optics

I'll add to the NF praises. Before I got my first, I couldn't fathom paying that for a scope AND have it be considered "mid range" lol.

They are tough. Holds up to 50BMG pounding and asks for more.

To my eye, the glass is every bit as good as US Optics, S&B, Zeiss and Swarovski for less $. It is superior to any Leupold I own or have looked through. Granted I don't have a place to shoot a mile with desert mirages, but I really can't image better glass.
But, at 56mm, it should gather the light lol.

Adjustment range is stupid high! If you want to reach out far, you can dial it in with NF.

Zero stop and speed turrets make adjustments fast and repeatable. Holds zero.

Finally, they hold their value. Used don't sell for much less than new.

Ura-Ki, can you tell us how Nightforce tests their scopes underwater? Ive heard the NXS has a submerged depth rating of 100 feet, while Nightforce warns to keep the caps on the SHV line as they may not be water resistant without them. I realize most of us arent going to be taking swims with our rifles, but the NXS has a pretty impressive history on how much abuse it can take. Great for a Navy seal or an ultimate SHTF optic. The SHV isnt built or tested to the rigors the NXS is, but would/should make an almost bulletproof scope for the majority of us here.

The viper has a cool name, but ive personally seen 2 go tits up. One didnt hold zero and didnt track, while the other had a lens failure, where you could see the inside tube of the scope. Not my first pick in optics. Not even by a longshot.

Used an shv for a couple elk seasons. Held up great, no fogging or issues with the pouring down rain. Solid scopes and great glass. According to Nightforce the SHV line uses the same glass as the NXS line.

Upgraded to a 4-16x50 ATACR. Awesome scope. Built like a tank. The glass is awesome.
The edge to edge clarity and detail you get is a night and day difference. The tracking is spot on and it has 110moa of adjusment built in. They are heavy, but the weight is not an issue for me.

If you enjoy nice optics the ATACR line are great scopes.
My .02

Last Edited:
Ura-Ki, can you tell us how Nightforce tests their scopes underwater? Ive heard the NXS has a submerged depth rating of 100 feet, while Nightforce warns to keep the caps on the SHV line as they may not be water resistant without them. I realize most of us arent going to be taking swims with our rifles, but the NXS has a pretty impressive history on how much abuse it can take. Great for a Navy seal or an ultimate SHTF optic. The SHV isnt built or tested to the rigors the NXS is, but would/should make an almost bulletproof scope for the majority of us here.

Many moons ago, Night Force was bidding on our new optical sighting system requirements, a contract that would ultimately be worth about 2.8 million dollars! The company was a fairly new comer and no one had any experience with their stuff. They showed up with a couple of pelican cases full of scopes and a few big boomer rifles set up with a couple of scopes. they tortured the snot out of them, including a round of 7.62x51 through the center of the turret ring body ( where all the adjustments happen) that scope still maintained its zero and didn't fog up! The scopes were dumped out of a Blackhawk from 100 feet up and landed in the dirt, still held zero and tracked perfectly! They were submerged in a pressure tank an taken to a depth of over 100 feet ( simulated, but accurate) and they didn't leak or blow their gas seals. I watched two employees toss a scope to each other in a wicked game of baseball, where the "Catcher" would hit the scope with a Louisville Slugger, then pick it up and mounted it on a rifle and fired a group that you could cover with a dime!

Yea, I was sold on their scopes from that day forward, and first chance I got, I purchased my first one, a NSX and have been rocking them ever since! In those days, the ultimate test was weather it could hold up on a big .50 BMG rifle, few could handle more then a couple of rounds, N.F. went well over 500 rounds with out any issues! S.B. and US-O were still wet dreams, we had been rocking Ken Leatherwood's still top secret optical system, while extremely accurate, it was/is HEAVY and lacks independent range and zoom functions! When N.F. showed up, the game changed forever!

Leupy failed the testing requirements 11 times before the MK-4 system was excepted and became a part of inventory, BUT, was limited to use on no bigger then .300 Win Mag! Sheppard, was the other one who tried, ultimately never submitting any scopes to test! It also took 9 years for U.S. Optics to win a contract and 4 more years before Schmidt and Bender won, but N.F. is still supplying optics for all 5 branches to this day!

A quick side rail here, back in the early 90s we learned of a new rife caliber that the Marines were playing with and we had to have a look, it was promising to equal the range of the .50 BMG rifles but with out the weight and recoil. We sent our armoror to visit with the Corps and find out what this new rifle and chambering were all about, as we were VERY intrested in something smaller and lighter then our Cobb .50 bolt guns! He returned 2 months later with 2 rifles and a vary large container of parts. Those 2 rifles made the rounds between us and we were most impressed with the performance. We became the first Service to adopt this new chambering, 4 months ahead of the official adoption of the Corps, and 3 years ahead of the Army, largely because we liked ours so much and let their supporters try out a few. Those first few rifles were super trick Remmy 40X fitted bolt and receivers with custom barrels chamberd in what was up to that point a Wildcat that became the .338 Lapua Magnum! Those first rifles were our first to be equipped with the brand new Night Force NSX scopes, and we never looked back! We also switched from Winchester M-70 rifles in .300 WM to Remmy 40X series rifles, pre M-40 chamberd in .300 WM and it was a match made in heaven with Night Force optics mounted! Imagine being one of the first to ring out a new rifle, caliber, and optic and having the bragging rights to go along with it! Never carried a .50 again, though one was always issued with 60 rounds of mixed use ammo, never fielded it again!:)

Many moons ago, Night Force was bidding on our new optical sighting system requirements, a contract that would ultimately be worth about 2.8 million dollars! The company was a fairly new comer and no one had any experience with their stuff. They showed up with a couple of pelican cases full of scopes and a few big boomer rifles set up with a couple of scopes. they tortured the snot out of them, including a round of 7.62x51 through the center of the turret ring body ( where all the adjustments happen) that scope still maintained its zero and didn't fog up! The scopes were dumped out of a Blackhawk from 100 feet up and landed in the dirt, still held zero and tracked perfectly! They were submerged in a pressure tank an taken to a depth of over 100 feet ( simulated, but accurate) and they didn't leak or blow their gas seals. I watched two employees toss a scope to each other in a wicked game of baseball, where the "Catcher" would hit the scope with a Louisville Slugger, then pick it up and mounted it on a rifle and fired a group that you could cover with a dime!

Yea, I was sold on their scopes from that day forward, and first chance I got, I purchased my first one, a NSX and have been rocking them ever since! In those days, the ultimate test was weather it could hold up on a big .50 BMG rifle, few could handle more then a couple of rounds, N.F. went well over 500 rounds with out any issues! S.B. and US-O were still wet dreams, we had been rocking Ken Leatherwood's still top secret optical system, while extremely accurate, it was/is HEAVY and lacks independent range and zoom functions! When N.F. showed up, the game changed forever!

Leupy failed the testing requirements 11 times before the MK-4 system was excepted and became a part of inventory, BUT, was limited to use on no bigger then .300 Win Mag! Sheppard, was the other one who tried, ultimately never submitting any scopes to test! It also took 9 years for U.S. Optics to win a contract and 4 more years before Schmidt and Bender won, but N.F. is still supplying optics for all 5 branches to this day!
That is awesome man! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and cool story!!

I own a Nightforce SHV 4x14x56 on a Sako 75 hunter 7mm. I got it used from another member on the site trading a Bark River knife and some cash. I am truly happy with the optics, hold and durability of this scope. It exceeds everything else I have used. That said, it also heavy to lug around and more expensive than any other scope I owned, and that is even used with a partial trade.

I also have a few lower end and mid level Vortex scopes, a lower end Bushnell Elite on a CZ .308 I just traded for', a Nikon ProStaff on a rimfire and had a Nikon Monarch on a 30.06 I traded just to compare. All were good hunting scopes and accurate to 300 yards. I'm not a long range shooter but I wanted to be able to see and hit up to 500 yards and the Nightforce allowed me to do that with reasonable confidence. I am still not taking an animal at that distance if its windy, but that is because of my shortcomings and not the equipments. I am not a Nightforce fanboy or have much tactical interest but I am happy with the product. If I had unlimited money I would have a Swarovski scope.

razor HD 2

let me finish your tree....

RMpn7Iz.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR