JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No. I'm just cleaning the gun.
full.jpg

Dang. I should have wrote that down. Now Ive got this at home and its plugged up. How loud is a cap gonna be in my back yard? After cleaning out as best I could you can barely draw air through it. Was fun shootin! Lots a smoke:p
Louder than a "cap gun"...but quieter than a .22 in most cases...I have touched off a cap or three in my back yard without causing a fuss with the neighbors....
Andy

Louder than a "cap gun"...but quieter than a .22 in most cases...I have touch off a cap or three in my back yard without causing a fuss with the neighbors....
Andy

I've fired off 30-06 in my backyard and all I got was a bunch of excited chatter from the daughter of the girl next door. Nice living in the woods. But I stop during fire season, worried the black powder might catch some of this dry grass on fire...also there are no hunters to mask my noise, the quiet is unsettling.

Worst part is if we ever sell I'm going to expect the same or more but I get the feeling it's pretty rare even in these parts to be able to make noise without neighbors complaining. A few miles south of here I've heard it's not the same, people call the cops for any little bit of noise. I have a feeling it's because of all the county hunting land around me.

I wish that hearing protection act would go through, then all anyone would hear is ringing of steel.

Having only shot a Hawken .50 replica, I've always wondered, how on earth do you keep from impaling yourself?
View attachment 484763

[edit to add] There's NO WAY you could own that many muzzle loaders. I think we should BAN you ! :D:D

Those curved butt plates fit better than you might think...plus on some of those old rifles...there were meant to be fired off the upper arm and not the shoulder...much like a modern pistol brace....

Yeah you could ban me...but then this place would be like a teacher in the summer time...No class...Errr...Wait...:eek::p:D
Andy

Those curved butt plates fit better than you might think...plus on some of those old rifles...there were meant to be fired off the upper arm and not the shoulder...much like a modern pistol brace....

Yeah you could ban me...but then this place would be like a teacher in the summer time...No class...Errr...Wait...:eek::p:D
Andy
And by mid August, most kids looking forward to going back to school, i.e. waiting for teacher to return....

Dollar tree has that cleaner called "Awesome" that works very well, but will remove a stocks finish, so use carefully! I only use if on my modern inline front stuffers, and only when they get really gumed up!:)

Dollar tree has that cleaner called "Awesome" that works very well, but will remove a stocks finish, so use carefully! I only use if on my modern inline front stuffers, and only when they get really gumed up!:)

Works well on cars and RV's too, at the right concentration. Will strip off some nasty stuff without damaging most finishes, though I would heed your warning about the finish on the stocks.

..but a good thing to learn is how to shoot from the bag....
No boxes of gear or range rods , or a big bag crammed full of "stuff"...
You do not need a ton of gear to shoot...
Powder , patch , ball...
Powder measure...
Extra flints or caps...
A turnscrew...
Vent pick or Nipple wrench...
A good ramrod...use short strokes and hold near the muzzle...
Maybe a short starter...
If hunting some sort of lube... I use bear grease , deer tallow , mink oil , crisco
Below are two bag set ups...
Andy
Preach it Andy. Shooting my flintlock didn't really become fun until I started shooting from the bag. Then it became pure pleasure. Especially if you can shoot at reactive targets. Potatoes on a stick are really my favorite. No ricochet potential and the debris is biodegradable. Plus you immediately know if it's a hit or a miss. A spit patch for that kind of shooting seems to keep fouling tolerable for a decent length range session. I've shot caps a bit but flintlocks are more fun to me and not at all hard to master (I use the term "master" loosely). Or at least get good enough for a decent range session.:)

So Andy,

About how much does it cost to play this game? I am talking a non-replica, but non-museum worthy of shooting and basic possibles.

A visit to see Joe and his good lady, Suzi, at the Gun Works in Springfield OR would set your mind straight one way or another. If you DO go, be sure to give them my best and tell them we'll be over later on.

tac

Last Edited:
A visit to see Joe and his good lady at the Gun Works in Springfield OR would set your mind straight one way or another. If you DO go, be sure to give them my best and tell them we'll be over later on.

tac

While I have never been at their store...at the big black powder gun show in Monroe...

Joe and Suzi at the Gun Works and the rest of their staff , have always done good.
Lots of guns and the items you need...knowledgeable and friendly staff...good prices...fair valve for trades...

And again , all of this , when rushed at a gun show...So its got to be even better when they are in their shop.
Andy

Many folks have asked me : "Why mess with those old guns...?"

Good thing you said muzzleloader and not black powder. My 45/70s rate as high as my flinter.
I have one flinter, and (dont tell the Mrs, 3 45/70s).

Why mess with them? Because Ive messed with everything else.
Been shooting since I was 6. did a career in the military, shot lots there. Didnt buy my frist lever until I was over 50. Right now Im restoring a 1920 shotgun and a 1915, 1894 for a gal.

BECAUSE IT's FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shoot muzzloader because its different than any other form of firearm. In a modern firearm there are two variables, windage and elevation. In muzzleloader there are 9 more worries.
Now are having fun.
The reason I built my flinter was to give it to my Grandson who is deployed right now.
My black powder cartridge rifles are even more fun, especially when you go to the public range and awe the mundanes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top