Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Why is this!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Rant, May 2, 2016.

1. Rant

Rant grand forks bc Member

#Why is 22 mag ammo so hard to find, I have talked to a person in curlew wa > said I can even find the super 17 mag ammo easier then 22 mag, so its not a north of the line problem !

2. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

I see it in SWWA a lot, I just want to know WTH is all the 22lr!!!!

Swedish K, Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Cuz .22 LR ammo has been so hard to find the last 7 years, everyone was buying .17 rimfires and also going back to the old standby, .22 mag..And poof it's all drying up and hard to find!

Sgt Nambu, Ura-Ki and Dyjital like this.
  4. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

I think Velzey's right. During the worst of the post-Sandy Hook draught, the only stuff available seemed to be .22 WMR and shotgun shells.

Once a bunch of people got their magnum guns, then, hey, it's time to start "stocking up" on that ammo. And the more scarce it gets, the more they want to "stock up" -until there isn't any stock.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

This...

6. ageingstudent

ageingstudent NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

This plus there are all kinds of shenanigans going on at the distributor level. Much is being resold like scalped concert tickets. Then there's guys running around buying the most they can from retailers and reselling it. Anything scarce is more valuable. Plus, 22 wmr was never mass produced on a scale like 22lr. It wasn't all that popular till the last few years.

Prices have really gone up on 22lr. I'm not sure 3.50 per 50 rounds won't end up being the new going rate.

AFT in Gresham has some 22wmr. I bought some there last weekend for 15.75 per 50.

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

.22 is/ was the most popular and profitable of all ammo, I wouldn't think they would stop making it. It has to be the retail chain's that are "holding" it for what ever reason! Or like was said, people buying very large amounts and re selling it! I see finally several outlets do have some in stock and the prices in my neck of the woods are not as bad as they were a few years ago. A brick of CCI standard is $23 and change, A box of 50 is about $3:25 Fed Gold label is still about $35 a brick, about what it was before the run.

8. ageingstudent

ageingstudent NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I believe there are a lot more people shooting now also. These companies don't like to take a chance and buy new equipment if they think demand is going to fall off. The big winners in this whole ammo and reloading shortage are UPS And FED EX. Besides online retailers, places like Cabela's are getting us to pay their shipping in a lot of small deliveries that we pay more for. Often they don't have stuff in the store but do have it online.

When you see powder or ammo at a small LGS and it's a little more expensive consider how much you have to pay for shipping and hazmat to order online. I've been trying to buy local lately. I don't like to be gouged but if the price isn't outrageous I'll buy local if the gun shop is at least in the ball park.

Ura-Ki and Caveman Jim like this.
  9. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

Hereabouts 10 cents per round is about typical; quoting Cabela's prices now. Still feel lucky to get any, and it's a novelty to see some boxes on the shelves which were previously empty.

The .17's seem to be holding out pretty well, until that becomes the new "unknown" caliber and there IT goes, too. o_O

ageingstudent and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. gemihur

gemihur Ridgelines of Virginia, Roanoke Valley Member

O-Freakin' BOMBA, man! And all the rest of the gun-grabbin liberals have fostered fear and spurred the hording craze. Vote your conscience and Please don't support "Cankles"!:eek:
    Thanks.

Capn Jack likes this.
  11. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I have found 22lr every time I have gone into my local Fred Meyers over the last few weeks and some at the Forest Grove Bi Mart. I think it's coming back

12. kilimanjaro

kilimanjaro Skagit County Well-Known Member

Before the crunch, the nation's annual output of .22LR shells was 43 rounds per person. For gun owners, that works out to about 3 boxes each PER YEAR. All it takes is for one or a few people running around your locality and buying 20,000 rounds between them, in a week you've got a shortage.

Now add millions of new shooters to the millions of existing shooters, and top that with 'shortage' scares, and then the real shortage begins.

Then watch a bunch of folks, frustrated with .22LR supplies, switch to the .22Magnum or .17HMR or any other inexpensive caliber, and you've got another parallel 'shortage'.

Then add the scalpers and profiteers to all of it.

Dyjital and Capn Jack like this.
  13. Twodogs

Twodogs portland Or Active Member

If 30 million people buy one brick of .22's it would take ammo makers 3 years to meet the demand then and in the hoarders and the profiteers, you get the idea.

14. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

dayum...so much for buying a new 22 mag...

15. Rant

Rant grand forks bc Member

Well the 22 long ammo has come back to the little store where I buy it but still no 22 mg ammo for over a year> not 1 BOX!

16. gemihur

gemihur Ridgelines of Virginia, Roanoke Valley Member

There is a delicate balance between supply and demand... Take into account the empowerment of the EPA by this administration and it's levied upgrade to the Doe Run lead refinery of $100,000.00, which led to it's closing last year. Bought a car battery lately? Why do bullets cost so much to make? :(Ask YO BOMBA!

Crohnos01 likes this.
  17. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Math doesn't lie...

I have a spreadsheet that calculates facilities, output per day and then based on shooters how many rounds per month each shooter gets.

Average shooter gets 1.8-6.4 rounds per month with current production depending on plant production and number of shooters. All figuring a high and low for each.

Now calculate how many times 6.8 just be multiplied to make 500 for a brick. Exactly.

(Due to errors I cannot upload the screen capture)