JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The AR platform is the gun of the future and will be around for a long time to come. It will become what the model 94 winchester 30-30 was to the last generation. The multi caliber combinations that are available for it will make it the most versitile weapon ever produced. Every major manufacturer is building them in hunting calibers now and eventually it will be common to see them on elk hunts and people will think nothing of it. Wood stocks are dead. Follow me, I will take you into the future.

Why are so many AR in the classifieds?
Here is what I am reading
Option 1. AR platform is has some capitalizing on the popularity and trying to make a buck.
Option 2. While others are selling to clean house recoup money that is tied up in a very expensive asset.
Option 3. Home gun smith gone badly.
AR vs 30-06
AR does not have the stopping power 30-06
AR breaks down for cleaning way better than the 30-06
The cost is about the same
Accessories scopes, flash light, etc. can be added to either platform
New questions:
Most AR I see in the ads have these huge clips I see no reason to have 30 round clips unless you are a really bad shot can I get 5 round clips?
What signs do look for each of options?
How to avoid from buying from option 1 and for sure option 3?

Well its covered but . it just that there are so many options. its a true American rifle, Most produced rifle in America probably the 2nd or 3rd most produced in the world
Tons of parts and accessories so many ways to build one a Ar15 can be built into several different rifles from tactical, sporter, hunter, varmint, precision , long range, ect and different calibers and wild cats . a so many ways to build it , different options and different qualities of parts ways to upgrade when you can afford to or downgrade when you cant . A natural layaway program that lets you buy a part here and there when you can afford it like this paycheck will go to a lower receiver next month a barrel by the end of Christmas you have a complete rifle. Basically the same rifle that many men carrier while in the service but without the fun switch, semi affordable ammo affordable enough to shoot a lot but not too cheap to do mass mag dumps .

the reason i have my bushmaster/RRA in the classified right now...... I found a good deal on the same rifle in a COLT and i want it.

New questions:
Most AR I see in the ads have these huge clips I see no reason to have 30 round clips unless you are a really bad shot can I get 5 round clips?
What signs do look for each of options?

Yes, you can get a 5 round magazine for the AR. I have two that I carry while hunting. One in the rifle and one in my pack. 10 rounds is way more than you "should" ever need, but I carry an extra 10 rounds in a shell holder just incase.

Things to look for M4 feed ramps, they just feed better than the old style. 99% of any rifle made in the last 5 years will have them.

Watch the prices for awhile before buying. Go into some gun stores and compare prices with new versus old. Do not get overwhelmed with "Branding". Some guys will list the make and model of the take down pins like they are made of gold...

For your first rifle I strongly suggest not buying a gun put together by anyone that is not at the very least a Gun Shop. Just my opinion but unless you are supper confident in your ability to recognize a crappy job and a crappy person, just get the rifle from either A: A gun shop or B: Private seller that has not tinkered with it.

As for the AR not having the stopping power of the 30-06, not true. You can get the AR10 from Armalite in .338 Federal WIKI .338 Federal LINK

So close to the same "stats" as a .30-06 it isn't even worth noting the differnce. Until you get to heavier bullets then the gap starts to widen a little in favor of the .338.

Also you can get .270 and .243 for the AR10 platform. .270 is a damn good hunting round.

If you go with the AR15 platform, there are so many calibers avaliable it isn't even funny. I really like the 6.5 grendel. I have shot this round and it is accurate and has good knock down. Ofcoarse it isn't very "interesting" to have all these options, I prefer to be locked into one caliber per rifle....hahahaha (that is a smart *** remark btw)

Barrels can be had from 16 to 24 inches in any quality you can afford (100 bucks to 600+)

Triggers - Adjustable or fixed, 1 stage or 2. You decide. A trigger can be upgraded from 100 bucks to 500 or so. I personally like a nice 2 stage and to work it over with a file to get all the creep out (youtube video will show what I mean). I use all Armalite stuff. I like the company and the way they treat me.

Option 1. AR platform is has some capitalizing on the popularity and trying to make a buck.
Option 2. While others are selling to clean house recoup money that is tied up in a very expensive asset.
Option 3. Home gun smith gone badly.

you can avoid option 1 by not purchasing an ar. i think a lot of rifles being sold are asking for cash in return. Option 3 - Probably the only 100% way to avoid a lemon would be to buy a new factory weapon with a warranty, that way if you do get a bad one you can get it repaired or replaced. Even buying a big factory name like Colt used can have problems.

Yes, you can get a 5 round magazine for the AR. I have two that I carry while hunting. One in the rifle and one in my pack. 10 rounds is way more than you "should" ever need, but I carry an extra 10 rounds in a shell holder just incase.
And you'll pay more for lower capacity mags than you will for 20 or 30 round ones. I prefer the 20 round because then are common/less expensive. The 30 round mags are too long for bench rest, which is my problem with them. 10 rounds is best for bench rest shooting, but because they are more expensive, I only have a couple of them.

Triplebuckshot said:
Barrels can be had from 6 to 24 inches in any quality you can afford (100 bucks to 600+)
Fixed that for you. Of course, if you go with a barrel under 16" overall, then it will cost $200 more.

Option 3 - Probably the only 100% way to avoid a lemon would be to buy a new factory weapon with a warranty, that way if you do get a bad one you can get it repaired or replaced. Even buying a big factory name like Colt used can have problems.
Some manufacturers have a lifetime warrantee, so you could buy one of their rifles used and still be covered. Spike's Tactical has a lifetime warrantee for example.

I am building an AR right now. I really enjoy doing research on the internet to figure out what is what and how it all works. I just got into guns in march. All I used to do was play video games... now I have not played games in over 45 days and I am getting outside more often and exercising. Weather it be hiking up to a shooting spot or doing reloading drills in the spare room, I am excited about learning more and joining a new community. My AR build will be my second gun (the other is an AK) and I enjoy that I can buy piece by piece when I save up the money and spend exactly how much I want on different parts of the gun. When the gun is complete I will not have a single piece that I did not want or that I did not research fully. I think that's fun! Most people here are shooters because its fun or because it is their duty and they enjoy it :) So what ever is fun to you... do it! Be safe and respect how others have fun!

1. Why are so many used AR type rifles and pistols appearing in the classifieds?
Summer time holds the most interest in going outdoors and shooting for the purpose of fun IE: AR's, AK's LR 22's or any Plinkers. We are in the first week of summer, so guns hold the most value of the year. From a selling POV now is the time of year to act.

2. The asking price seems really high do they hold their value?
IMO prices are high because of a few things: --#1-- the upcoming election and a large majority where Obama (if re-elected will pass laws that make gun owership more difficult)

--#2-- The craze right now of people believing in the SHTF scenarios and all that Domesday hype. Most of those people believe these events to happen in the next 1-5 years.

--#3-- As I said above, It's summer time which is a sellers market.

My last reason would be that, just like tattoo's, gun ownership is becoming more and more excepted in our society. Increased demand = Higher prices.
Have a great day, enjoy you time here on NWFA!

Well its covered but . it just that there are so many options. its a true American rifle, Most produced rifle in America probably the 2nd or 3rd most produced in the world
Tons of parts and accessories so many ways to build one a Ar15 can be built into several different rifles from tactical, sporter, hunter, varmint, precision , long range, ect and different calibers and wild cats . a so many ways to build it , different options and different qualities of parts ways to upgrade when you can afford to or downgrade when you cant . A natural layaway program that lets you buy a part here and there when you can afford it like this paycheck will go to a lower receiver next month a barrel by the end of Christmas you have a complete rifle. Basically the same rifle that many men carrier while in the service but without the fun switch, semi affordable ammo affordable enough to shoot a lot but not too cheap to do mass mag dumps .

the reason i have my bushmaster/RRA in the classified right now...... I found a good deal on the same rifle in a COLT and i want it.

+10

You start with one AR, then you change a few parts. Now those parts grow into a second rifle. You change a few parts, those parts grow into a third rifle...

Next thing you know you have eight or ten AR's in the gun closet.

I know I was one of those guys that couldnt understand the big deal with them until I finally ended up with one. I was a die hard bolt guy up until I picked up a RRA 15 and have to say now I am really hooked on the platform and got to tell ya they can sometimes be put up side by side with most bolt guns and do very well.

I wouldnt trade mine in for anything. Now the bolt guns just sit in the gun case :)

You start with one AR, then you change a few parts. Now those parts grow into a second rifle. You change a few parts, those parts grow into a third rifle...

Next thing you know you have eight or ten AR's in the gun closet.

I cant speak for why there are so many in the classifieds except for this is a great community to sell them through. I can +1 to what madcratebuilder stated.

I would only add: then you sell some on NWF and buy some more parts which leads to more guns... Its a hobby for some of us.

you really want to know the real reason ok i will tell you.......

Ar15s are like potato chips you can't have just one.

So you buy that 2nd (or in some cases the 3rd or 4th ect ) and find you really could only afford them all so you sale that 2nd until you can afford it and then buy it again .:nuts:

Its what i call the Virtual collection or borrowed collection .

Here is another thing many new got to have or at least try out AR stuff has come out and is coming out on the market. Got to at least try it out to see if i like it better than what i already have.

Thats why its called BLACK RIFLE FEVER

...Also you can get .270 and .243 for the AR10 platform...

Disclaimer: not trying to pick a fight.

If you're talking about .270 Winchester, this statement is not true. It is based off the .30-06 and has the same OAL (3.340") which means it won't fit in a .308 length action (2.800"). 7mm WSM and .284 Winchester do fit in an AR10. I personally only know of Cobb making a .30-06 length action AR pattern rifle (COBB MCR 300 series).

AR pattern rifles and their ability to change calibers and modular parts make them attractive buys. Their prices seem to be a little on the steep side, but you get what you pay for (to a point). I SBR'd one because I can swap to a different caliber very easily and still have a compact rifle. I don't see any of the new-fangled firearms displacing it because changing a barrel on a FN SCAR or Bushmaster ACR takes much more work than pulling 2 pins, swapping an upper and being ready to rock.

I think one of the major points also the ability to work on it your self

with a simple set of tools the owner can swop barrels receivers change calibers upgrade downgrade and when they are all done and board with it sale it and get another.

I love shooting. I own several rifles and handguns in a variety of calibers; lever actions, bolt guns, AR's, other semi-autos, etc. The first rifle I ever shot was my M16A2 while in the Marine Corps. It is what got me hooked on the sport. The AR platform is the platform I am most comfortable and proficient with for this reason. When I go out to the range for the day I will often bring a few different rifles to shoot, but it seems an AR makes the trip every time.

They are also fun to tinker with and build. I don't need a safe full of AR's, but I enjoy building them. I will build one or two, or parts of one or two, and then turn around and sell them to fund more builds. It's like playing with legos when I was a kid, but I didn't have a forum to sell my lego sets to fund new sets. With AR's and this website I do. I take every rifle, or rifle component, I build to the range for a day and fire it to make sure it works. I would never sell something potentially dangerous or a "lemon" to someone. I have integrity and would hope that most of the friend's and colleagues made here on NWFA would have the same. If someone is new to the platform and wants to make an informed decision on what to buy here on the website, there is a wealth of knowledge to be had by simply asking the members.

For the guys complaining about how awful the AR platform is in comparison to their bolt or lever action hunting rifles:
Not everyone who shoots, hunts. The requirement for a rifle does not rest with it's ability to take down game for every shooter. Try not to be so tunnel visioned in your assumptions for the intention of all shooters. If the AR platform does not meet your shooting requirements, feel free to avoid it. Just don't dilute yourself into thinking that the platform is somehow flawed or inadequate for the needs of others because it doesn't fit your niche. There's a rifle out there for everyone. For me and several others, it's the AR.

Happy shooting...

For the guys complaining about how awful the AR platform is in comparison to their bolt or lever action hunting rifles:
Not everyone who shoots, hunts. The requirement for a rifle does not rest with it's ability to take down game for every shooter.

Who is making assumptions now? Not everyone who dislikes the AR is a Fudd.

I don't believe I made any such assumptions. In fact I think I pretty clearly stated that "there's a rifle out there for everyone". Perhaps I should have stated "This rifle may not be for everyone"? I guess I'm more of a glass half full type versus glass half empty.

Comparisons were drawn earlier between AR's and other style rifles based on the possible inadequacies of AR's to take down game. I was responding to that critique by pointing out that hunting is not always a requirement for the decision to own, shoot, or even enjoy a particular rifle platform. I also feel I made it clear that I was speaking directly to those who believe the rifle is "junk" because it doesn't fit their hunting niche.
That would be like saying "I think all screwdrivers are junk because I drive nails and I can't hammer nails with the screwdriver very well. My hammer works much better for it. The market must be flooded with screwdrivers because of how awful they are at driving nails and people are probably trying to offload them on the uninformed. Do yourself a favor and never buy a screwdriver." I was just saying "Hey, you guys who hammer things, don't forget some of us like to screw things together rather than nails things together. Don't hate on screwdrivers because we use them for different purposes than you".
I'm sorry if somehow you either misread my post or I didn't clearly convey my point. The main point was to answer the OP by stating that I love the AR platform and will contribute to the AR market by building, trading, buying and selling. Perhaps this is part of why there seems to be a large market for the platform. I only addressed the hunting topic because it was brought up in this thread and I felt my opinion had value in the conversation of this thread.
If you quoted a portion of my reply out of context and then followed it with a baited question to troll me...then well played sir, well played :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top