JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great points everybody
A few more details on the AR vs 30-06
My 30-06 is a Remington semi auto from the late 60s
It shoots any ammo through it no questions asked
and a very high round count
Weaver scope same vintage that has been dropped, banged, rained on
and still shoots on target.
Simple setup that works

AR
This is what I am hearing and seeing
Looks from the outside like high maintanence all the this and thats on it.

ammo can be a issue all depends on the factory who builds them

Most builds have many different manufactures parts on them
How in the heck do I research all the vendors before making the investment?
Seconds blem or what ever they call them are they out there and is on the watch list?

Tech support must be tuff

What no one has brought up cleaning
the 30-06 is a pain to take apart and clean
What about the AR?

I know from experience that the 5.56/223 can take down a deer, though shot placement is still quite important. I'm wondering now, which states allow legal hunting for deer with a 5.56/223 and if they allow it, do they restrict the mag to 5 rounds?

No doubt that for small critters and fire fight situations, the AR 5.56 shines, so if one is engaged in these, the AR 5.56 should see lots of use.

The AR 308 is another story. Probably less of a small game and more of a fire fight, large game weapon. I suspect a limitation on mag size may still exist and for large game hunting I'm not convinced of the benifits of quickly sending lots of lead down range. In more than 40 years of large game hunting, I have seldom needed a second shot and I don't believe I ever needed a third. Certainly a firefight would be a different story.

The tacticool AR with bells and whistles may not even be legal for hunting (note I say may not be) due to restrictions on lazers, lights, etc...

"ar type rifles" are available in many calibers.....but in true form, when one asks about a carbine like 5.56 in comparison to their full size rifle....what can an ar do that your 30-06 can't? it can allow it's user to carry a lot more ammo for the weight, disperse said ammo at a faster rate, and weighs a lot less as a total package (unless you have the kitchen sink on your ar along with your garage door opener LOL).

But yeah, AR's are civilian neutered versions of a military weapon.....for the most part mass produced at the cheapest, most reliable method available. there are so many for sale on every gun forum and store because they are popular, even if they are the boy band of the firearms world :D

In true form....that platform is an AR10. Take a look at which came first. Also the AR platform has the ability to swap calibers pretty easy. Get a new upper that corresponds with your lower and a couple new magazines (sometime don't even need that) poof you are done.

The 5.56 is better for more than shooting ground hogs. Seriously, stop being so aggressive when you don't have a legitimate point. .223 is fine for deer if you can hit what you are aiming at....

I have a few .30-06 and don't get me wrong, I LOVE the rifles and love hunting with that round. I just want to say what I think of the AR platform.

I would also like to know how my AR is a neutered version of a military weapon? I have carried and taken apart issue weapons from 1993-2005. My Armalite is not what you are claiming it is. Neither are any of the AR15's I have ever held. The military has not used full auto in a personal weapon for a LONG time, it is a waste of ammo in almost every single application. I have a better barrel, better BCG (Bolt Carrier Group) and trigger assembly than all but the SOPMOD M4's (I have roughly the same as that level).

If you don't like the looks, well that is fine. I enjoy the unique looks of all firearms.

Please show me why the 5.56 is silly. With some facts or experience.

Great points everybody
A few more details on the AR vs 30-06
My 30-06 is a Remington semi auto from the late 60s
It shoots any ammo through it no questions asked
and a very high round count
Weaver scope same vintage that has been dropped, banged, rained on
and still shoots on target.
Simple setup that works

AR
This is what I am hearing and seeing
Looks from the outside like high maintanence all the this and thats on it.

ammo can be a issue all depends on the factory who builds them

Most builds have many different manufactures parts on them
How in the heck do I research all the vendors before making the investment?
Seconds blem or what ever they call them are they out there and is on the watch list?

Tech support must be tuff

What no one has brought up cleaning
the 30-06 is a bubblegum to take apart and clean
What about the AR?

Ammo is not an issue for me. I practice with the cheapest brass cased ammo I can find or reload. I have 10's of thousands of rounds of 5.56 downrange from my 12 years in the Army/Infantry.

Taking the AR apart and cleaning it is SUPER simple. Different than your bolt action but simple. It can be field stripped in about 30 seconds cleaned in 2 minutes or less and put back into operation in another 30 seconds. I have fired some filthy *** m16's and m4's. I keep my personal AR way clean because I like it that way.

If you buy an AR it is an Armalite and Armalite ONLY. So parts and service are absolutely awesome. Nobody else is authorized to us the AR prefix. However there are lots and lots of "clones". DPMS, Rock River Arms, Lewis Machine and Tool and a host of theres all make good clones. If you buy a complete rifle from DPMS, LMT, Noveske etc etc, they will most likely have all their BRAND of parts. However lots of guys put their weapons together from a menagerie of suppliers. This can be really GOOD if the guy knows what he is doing or could be mediocre or bad if he doesn't.

Ask some questions here if you want to research a specific rifle. Lots of guys here know what the deal is. If you just want to read, I suggest Sniper's Hide LOTS of information there and some Bullbubblegum....you be the judge.

Feel free to keep asking questions. I am glad to see someone thinking before purchasing.

In true form....that platform is an AR10. Take a look at which came first.

LOL...the original post was "ar type rifles" not specific models or calibers - I was making that point, exploiting that even though it is assumed that one is talking about 5.56x45/.223 he didn't clarify.

As for being neutered, most of us don't have the third position on our safety selectors on our civilian rifles- and have to pay extra in freedom and money for that privilege if we do. Maybe not every military variant is full auto - but a lot do burst fire. It is pretty common to say that any civilian version of a burst or auto capable weapon is a neutered version - that is all I was implying, going with a previous statement by another poster.

Maybe you should stop being so aggressive. Trying to figure out why you quoted me....:p

My problem is that there is so much static it's difficult to determine what's good and what's junk among all the AR stuff. In my 6 years in the Marines, I had a few really worn out crappy rifles, and a couple decent ones. I think this is why so many are for sale- there's a lot out there and a lot of people like to build them to save some dough, and when they don't turn out like they hoped they try and punt in the classifieds. I highly doubt when I get around to buying my first AR platform rifle, I'll build one- I think the folks at Colt (and others) have it figured out pretty well for me and for not much more than if you build one yourself. I doubt I'd ever buy one used just because you would never know if they monkeyed with it's internals unless you were an expert- until it was too late anyway

LOL...the original post was "ar type rifles" not specific models or calibers - I was making that point, exploiting that even though it is assumed that one is talking about 5.56x45/.223 he didn't clarify.

As for being neutered, most of us don't have the third position on our safety selectors on our civilian rifles- and have to pay extra in freedom and money for that privilege if we do. Maybe not every military variant is full auto - but a lot do burst fire. It is pretty common to say that any civilian version of a burst or auto capable weapon is a neutered version - that is all I was implying, going with a previous statement by another poster.

Maybe you should stop being so aggressive. Trying to figure out why you quoted me....:p

Neutered? Not really. In a firefight, anybody with a full auto that is not belt fed spends a lot of time not firing, and eventually runs dry. Semi-auto is the way to go in a firefight. Once you have the capacity to suppress the enemy, and keep his head down, which a semi-auto gives you, after that it's not rounds per second, but accuracy that wins.

OK OK....they're not neutered, and they're not the boy band of the gun world. they're the mainstream rock band in a can.

I quoted you because you had some good points to address in this conversation. Or atleast I thought you did. You should start a poll and see how many times in combat or even training guys have chosen to use any form of select fire. I think the outcome might surprise you. They might surprise me who knows.

How is a rifle platform that has been around for over 30 years the "boy band" or the "Band in a Can" of the gun world? Trust me when I say, the AR is not the BEST rifle out there, it is not the leader in any one catagory I can think of (well maybe modularity) but what it does do is ranks pretty high in almost every catagory and it does make a run for the title.

You still have not given any kind of actual information on why the .223/5.56mm is so "silly".

Here is a Wiki Link that I looked at. I don't see anything "silly" here. Do you? If so, what? Please educate me.

.223 Remington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You still have not given any kind of actual information on why the .223/5.56mm is so "silly".

WOW...probably because I never said it was. This is why I can't figure out why you chose to quote me, and come across like I interceded with random attacks. I chimed in based of the other banter in the thread. Some of it was opinion, and some supposed to be funny -seeing how the the original thread topic seemed a little like a pointless fishing expedition.

Personally, I like the ar platform - i think gas impingement is not as clean as a piston actuated rifle, but it seems to work well. Hell, I chose to keep an AR and the 5.56 round and part with my other sporting arms in other calibers since it seemed to be more suited to the wet climate and ammo was pretty common around here. I kind of regret parting with my 20" ar and ending up with a 11.5" (with a 4.5" "brake" lol), but I'm wandering off point here.....(should have kept the 20" doh!)

I compare the AR to bands because - while the design has been around for quite some time, I think that the popularity has boomed more recently (like in the last 10 years). Especially the "get your assault weapon while you can" ....and the "tacticool" carbine scenarios, like the mention of the rails and all the attachments. yes part is due to technology advancement and availability- but part is due to popular culture. The band thing was just the reference that first came to mind, wasn't really trying to offend anyone lmao.

As to using select fire....that's just fine that you don't use it. But the ability to switch to burst is there on gubment guns is it not, and it is removed from most civilian builds. I THINK that is what is suggested by the neutered comment - which also was not originally mine just one i played off, going on the assumption that the burst fire capability was what was in question.

anywhoo

I sold mine because I needed the money, times arent all that great for alot of people still, and having some available cash can sure help.

I think this is closer to what is truly going on. Things haven't gotten better for some people over the last four years and if you need some extra $ why not sell/pawn something that you do not need for day to day living? Plus, those of us on this forum and other firearm related forums probably have family or friends that have an extra rifle or two that could use an index finger in a SHTF situation.

As far as them pointing out a low round count, upgrades and accessories, i would expect no less from anyone that is trying to get as much money as possible for the item they are selling. That's my $0.02.

Lefty.

Last Edited:
WOW...probably because I never said it was. This is why I can't figure out why you chose to quote me, and come across like I interceded with random attacks.

You are right, I was mixing up Boats comments with yours. Please accept my apologies.

I can see your analogy of "bands" now. I was a bit confused, I was under the impression that you thought the AR was a "flash in the pan" type of thing. You are right about the popularity soaring over the last 10 years. Probably has a lot to do with a whole new generation of Americans going off to fight in a war, IMHO.

Also on the Nuetered Comment I was under the impression that you thought Civilian AR's were somehow lesser quality than the gov models. While there surely are some that are, there are surely many that are not. Colt has it figured out for sure, so does Armalite, Noveske, LMT just to name a few.

I guess it is easy to misread and misinterpret intent sometimes, I am sorry for having ruffled your feathers. That was not my intention.

Until you factor the cost of the additional hundreds (or thousands) of rounds shot at nothing, just blazing away. Takes away the cheap to shoot rational.

Yep, couldn't say it better myself. Fantasize all you want about killing zombies, insurgents, or whatever, and keep pulling that trigger. Rather have a good bolt gun in a decent caliber. AR's are for sissies who can't take the pain of a real caliber.

Yep, couldn't say it better myself. Fantasize all you want about killing zombies, insurgents, or whatever, and keep pulling that trigger. Rather have a good bolt gun in a decent caliber. AR's are for sissies who can't take the pain of a real caliber.

Because anyone with a .223 AR shoots is a fantasist and cannot own larger calibers. :s0114:

Since we're all about stupid stereotypes here, going to take a stab and guess that you're a cruddy old fudd who hasn't shot from a field position in years.

Rather have a good bolt gun in a decent caliber
Me too, or a good lever gun with open irons. I would rather shoot 100 quality shots in a day (or should I say well aimed and accurate) As opposed to 'blazing away' with 100s or 1000s. Less time on the reloading bench also.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top