JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seems like every week more and more AR's appear.

Most every ad says the same thing

Low round

never shot

4 boxes of ammo included

great shooter

I will remove the extras to lower price

My questions:

1. Why are so many used AR type rifles and pistols appearing in the classifieds?

2. The asking price seems really high do they hold their value?

Maybe some of them want to capitalize on selling at a high price to ignorant people, like what happened prior to the 2008 election.

There are more quality AR companies now than during the previous election and some people think that if they scrape together the cheapest components and build a Franken-AR and because it looks the same, the ignorant will maybe wonder why BCM, DD, Colt are ripping people off by charging a hundred bucks more.

It couldn't possibly be because they're built to a consistent and repeatable spec with known tolerances, high quality control for inspection and testing criteria of the quality parts of known pedigree, and lifetime warranty? Nah, that can't be it.

When people pay a lot more than they should have, they will be the first to defend their purchase rather than admit ignorance. I'll admit that I overpaid on my first AR but I don't make excuses about it - I was an idiot for not doing my research. There are a lot more sources for learning about the AR now than before. If you have internet access, ignorance should not be an excuse.

People are trying to unload there extra stuff they bought that they didn't use much. Remember the economy is not as good as the pres tells you. You have most companies holding on to there funds becasue they have no clue as to what is going to happen with new rules and such. So they are not spending more then they want to risk. So people are getting ride of extra stuff to make ends meet. Now this is not all. Some are just trying to get money to shore up other stuff. Just take for example measure 66 and 67 here in Oregon. it came out in October of last year and was retro active so companies had to pay taxes for new taxes that they didn't know they needed to collect for 10 months of profits that was dramatically reduced. Now what if that same thing happened in the whole Country at once. I could fold allot of Companies. Things like that.

People are trying to unload there extra stuff they bought that they didn't use much. Remember the economy is not as good as the pres tells you. You have most companies holding on to there funds becasue they have no clue as to what is going to happen with new rules and such. So they are not spending more then they want to risk. So people are getting ride of extra stuff to make ends meet. Now this is not all. Some are just trying to get money to shore up other stuff. Just take for example measure 66 and 67 here in Oregon. it came out in October of last year and was retro active so companies had to pay taxes for new taxes that they didn't know they needed to collect for 10 months of profits that was dramatically reduced. Now what if that same thing happened in the whole Country at once. I could fold allot of Companies. Things like that.

It sounds like Oregon is getting unfriendly to businesses to keep up with Washington. So how would that tax burden on businesses affect the common folks selling their wares? WA has sales tax, OR doesn't. Does it somehow get added to your state income tax?

There are something like 4 million black guns in the US... The AR is one of the most prevalent and easiest to customize... I own 5, its the only gun I have multiples of the same platform... They are just plain fun and relatively cheap to shoot.... I also think there are a lot of folks who jump in and buy and AR because they are "cool" and then in a few months see they have $1000 tied up in a gun they cant go shoot easily (Most city folks just cant go shoot and if they do its at a range where its not the same fun it is in the "real world") And want some other toy so they have to sell to move on....

My questions:

1. Why are so many used AR type rifles and pistols appearing in the classifieds?
Because there are just so many AR type rifles to begin with. Do you lump all AR types together in your counting? I wonder what the count would be like if you lumped all bolt action type rifles together.

cooldave52000 said:
2. The asking price seems really high do they hold their value?
Asking price is just that, asking. That doesn't always reflect the actual market value of an item, whether it is a firearm, a car, or a house. Maybe the person payed $1000 for their rifle and think it should still be worth what they payed?

A Ruger 10/22 is every day priced $199 at Bimart and Big5 has it on "sale" this week for $249.99. That's an example of the difference between "asking price" and value.

because being TACTICAL is the new religion amongst shooters, and the AR is the most versatile TACTICAL TANGO DOWN MACHO MAN IMPLEMENT

buy one, cover it in cheese grater rails, accessorize with holo sights/lasers/flashlights/garage door openers/condom dispensers AND HAVE THE ULTIMATE MOST EXPENSIVE SETUP THAT CRAPS ALL OVER EVERYONE'S PEASANT GUNS

seeing this and realizing it, maybe some are trying to capitalize off the current trend.

I think a lot of people build, and they don't work right so they try and pass them on. I know 3 or 4 people who have bought home built "one box through it" guns, and they are nothing but problems. People also don't want to loose money on their builds, and some want to make money for the time it took them to put a bunch of junk together.

One of the "issues" with AR's in general is they are fun to build. You know, the 'lego' set of the gun world. I have built several just for the fun of it, then sold to build another. I sell to cover costs. If folks are trying to make a profit on these, they'd better hang on to them till November, if Obama is re-elected ... they'll be worth alot more then.

because being TACTICAL is the new religion amongst shooters, and the AR is the most versatile TACTICAL TANGO DOWN MACHO MAN IMPLEMENT

buy one, cover it in cheese grater rails, accessorize with holo sights/lasers/flashlights/garage door openers/condom dispensers AND HAVE THE ULTIMATE MOST EXPENSIVE SETUP THAT CRAPS ALL OVER EVERYONE'S PEASANT GUNS

seeing this and realizing it, maybe some are trying to capitalize off the current trend.

Sounds like some are building them for profit but the real fun is building them your self.
When I read though all extra cheese they have added it just turns me away from the ad
Why
Gucci fore grip
Sears garage door opener
Levis carry strap
Nascar rubber wheel turner thingy
all that tactacool means this will cost you MSRP

This part makes me want look at new is

I think a lot of people build, and they don't work right so they try and pass them on. I know 3 or 4 people who have bought home built "one box through it" guns, and they are nothing but problems. People also don't want to loose money on their builds, and some want to make money for the time it took them to put a bunch of junk together

all this sounds like garage gun smithing

The real qustion...

What can AR do that my 30-06 rifle can't do?

Why do I want a AR?

What can AR do that my 30-06 rifle can't do?

Why do I want a AR?

Hah, the voice of reason has chimed in.

These neutered, and usually ugly, semi-auto only civilian ARs beguile a lot of people who don't know any better until AFTER they have bought/built one. The hard truth is that neither the rifle, nor its standard cartridge, are terribly interesting.

ARs are fun and cheap to shoot.I like 'em a lot.
But my friend always looks at me funny when I don't grab one when he asks what my "go to rifle" is.

I have a mobile 20" standard barrel and a bench rest 24" heavy barrel I won't use either for zombies.
That's what the 308s are for

Building them can be addictive.Too many parts and configurations to be had. I have 2 and wanted to start another but couldn't really justify it.
Why when the 2 I have will kill all the varmints I need to kill.
I think some guys just went way overboard with there builds and now their wants are for the new SCARs and such.
Gotta have the latest greatest you know Maybe the prices will drop some more

Hah, the voice of reason has chimed in.

These neutered, and usually ugly, semi-auto only civilian ARs beguile a lot of people who don't know any better until AFTER they have bought/built one. The hard truth is that neither the rifle, nor its standard cartridge, are terribly interesting.

Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one. I personally can do LOTS of things with my AR that I can not do with my bolt action long guns. The 5.56 is a flat shooting cheap round, great for coyotes, rabbits and deer. My AR is a .308...I find the round pretty interesting since it has been used for so long. I can hunt all but the largest game on the planet easily with my AR10. I can easily clear my house or use it for home protection. I am comfortuable shooting from 5 meters to 600 meters in all sorts of positions and conditions. I have magazines that have 5 to 25 rounds of .308

I LOVE my AR. I would choose it over my Win M70 and Rem 700 all day long. Full auto is for a a crew serve or suppresion type weapon, semi auto is where it is at. Accuracy is dang near as good as any bolt action of equal $$. A really good marksman with a different optic than my Trijicon 1-4x could hit out to 800-900 meters with my rifle.

So there we go a quick down and dirty of why I favor my AR.

AR10.jpg

Tight Group.jpg

Last Edited:
Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one. I personally can do LOTS of things with my AR that I can not do with my bolt action long guns. The 5.56 is a flat shooting cheap round, great for coyotes, rabbits and deer. My AR is a .308...I find the round pretty interesting since it has been used for so long. I can hunt all but the largest game on the planet easily with my AR10. I can easily clear my house or use it for home protection. I am comfortuable shooting from 5 meters to 600 meters in all sorts of positions and conditions. I have magazines that have 5 to 25 rounds of .308

I LOVE my AR. I would choose it over my Win M70 and Rem 700 all day long. Full auto is for a a crew serve or suppresion type weapon, semi auto is where it is at. Accuracy is dang near as good as any bolt action of equal $$. A really good marksman with a different optic than my Trijicon 1-4x could hit out to 800-900 meters with my rifle.

So there we go a quick down and dirty of why I favor my AR.

I still find your AR as boring as the rest of them. Nothing personal about it. Nice shift away from the silly 5.56/.223 round to discuss one I didn't even mention though.

"ar type rifles" are available in many calibers.....but in true form, when one asks about a carbine like 5.56 in comparison to their full size rifle....what can an ar do that your 30-06 can't? it can allow it's user to carry a lot more ammo for the weight, disperse said ammo at a faster rate, and weighs a lot less as a total package (unless you have the kitchen sink on your ar along with your garage door opener LOL).

But yeah, AR's are civilian neutered versions of a military weapon.....for the most part mass produced at the cheapest, most reliable method available. there are so many for sale on every gun forum and store because they are popular, even if they are the boy band of the firearms world :D

I still find your AR as boring as the rest of them. Nothing personal about it. Nice shift away from the silly 5.56/.223 round to discuss one I didn't even mention though.

Silly? How cute of you. Bet that little 30-06 is just you kid's huh? You must have a 300wbymag?

And don't carry nuttin that doesn't start with a 4?

The 556 isn't really very good for what it was designed for,but it is very useful for what the majority of use it for.
You'd have to be kinda silly to go PD hunting with a '06
But that's just me.:huh:

Some just buy one to look cool or say they own one, similar to motorcycles. Then they realize what is involved in owning one and decide (or the wife does) to get rid of it cause all it does is sit.

Ar's are like Glocks some like em some dont and there are infinate amounts of BS to hang on them.

Silly? How cute of you. Bet that little 30-06 is just you kid's huh? You must have a 300wbymag?

And don't carry nuttin that doesn't start with a 4?

The 556 isn't really very good for what it was designed for,but it is very useful for what the majority of use it for.
You'd have to be kinda silly to go PD hunting with a '06
But that's just me.:huh:

I really only said that the 5.556/.223 is uninteresting. I think it is a silly round, but it is good for hunting ground rodents. Yippee.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top