JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have been noticing a growing trend ( I would suggest 70% ) of the handgun ads always say only 50 - 200 rounds thru it or "down the pipe" also as new or like new.
WHY IS THAT!!!!
So what the majority of people on hear never really go shooting? Or do they think people are that naive?
WHY IS THAT!!!!
Also why do they think that that like new, as new, or new in box gun justify full retail or higher do they not know once you leave the door the gun just lost value and if it's fired even more no matter the round count. ( it's like buying a car once you leave the lot your NEW car just lost 3-5k )
WHY IS THAT!!!!

Stacy
Rant

I have thought the same and have observed a couple scenarios that may answer this. One is a lot of the low round count guns I see for sale seem to be 'generic' semi-auto, poly framed handguns. These probably comprise the largest number of guns owned so it stands to reason they will be the first up for sale for what ever reasons. Next is I see a fairly large number of 'high-end' low round count guns for sale. I suspect these were bought with bigger eyes than wallets and need to go nearly as soon as they are bought. Then there are many people who talk about 'consolidating' calibers and probably got spread too thin, overbought due to panic or realize they just don't shoot something as much as they though they would.

Because some of us buy a handgun and then later find we don't like shooting it. It rarely takes a full box of ammo for me to know whether or not I'm keeping it, or selling it to someone with only 50-200rnds down the pipe. :D

A good example is a S&W .38 LightWeight or AirWeight...(whatever) that I bought. That damn thing felt like I was hitting the palm of my hand with an oak dowel rod every time I pulled the trigger. So I sold it with only 50-200rnds down it's itty bitty pipe.

I only have 200 or less rounds through many of my guns. Some are collectors guns and are not fired.
But if you wanted to come over and exercise all my guns to lets say 500 rounds? Then bring about $35,000 bucks for ammo. And take a few months off work!

Now about the price people ask for there used guns. I'm talking the ones you can still buy. Not the ones no longer in production. There often not worth it! But people are trying to get top dollar. Or maybe you can't afford a certain gun you want from one of these guys?

Heck. Just shake the bushes and the right deal will come along. Don't be upset about it.

Because some of us buy a handgun and then later find we don't like shooting it. It rarely takes a full box of ammo for me to know whether or not I'm keeping it, or selling it to someone with only 50-200rnds down the pipe. :D

A good example is a S&W .38 LightWeight or AirWeight...(whatever) that I bought. That damn thing felt like I was hitting the palm of my hand with an oak dowel rod every time I pulled the trigger. So I sold it with only 50-200rnds down it's itty bitty pipe.

Gotta agree with this.

Bought a Colt Pony Pocketlite. Hated the trigger. Bought a PPK/S and it stung my hand every time I pulled the trigger. Got rid of both and they each had less than a box through them.

Sold my airweight with 63 rounds fired with 37 pieces of ball 38 special for full retail price. I owned the handgun for 13 days. Shot it day 2, didn't like it. Shot it again day 4, liked it even less. Put it up for sale around day 8 for full retail and it was gone 5 days later. I couldn't stand how painful it was to shoot with +P, or even regular ammo. Gun was flat out painful, even next to my 357 sig compact, and my 10mm I loaded to full horsepower.

I guess I've been lucky so far in my 30+ years of gun owner ship due to the fact that every gun I have bought I had an opportunity to test fire them (and have tested hundred) but have only bought 20 so far. I like to keep what I have and am sad for a long time after I sell one of "My Babies". I'm now down to 7 that have earned the right to stay in the safe because they ALL shoot good.....

Last Edited:
I only have 200 or less rounds through many of my guns. Some are collectors guns and are not fired.
But if you wanted to come over and exercise all my guns to lets say 500 rounds? Then bring about $35,000 bucks for ammo. And take a few months off work!

Now about the price people ask for there used guns. I'm talking the ones you can still buy. Not the ones no longer in production. There often not worth it! But people are trying to get top dollar. Or maybe you can't afford a certain gun you want from one of these guys?

Heck. Just shake the bushes and the right deal will come along. Don't be upset about it.

If your serious about me working your guns for you no problem! I would with joy as long as it's something I already don't own.
Just so you don't think a jelous guy, I can afford almost any gun I want! In the last 4 weeks I have bought 6.
3 new, 3 used 2 of the new are kimbers, 1 used Dan Wesson I don't consider them cheep the other 3 are mid level price.
My point was it's hard to believe most people only shoot a gun only 50-200rnds thru it. Not saying it doesn't happen!
And the fact is it's worth less if it's been fired. The break in period is a none factor used is used.
Stacy
PS collecter guns were not part of my thought I understand that's a whole different issue. I too own a couple.

For me, I have guns that are just more fun to shoot. Some, because I'm (for some odd reason...) more accurate with. Others, I just like the way they shoot. I have a Beretta Tomcat that is just too small and not that fun to shoot. It fits nicely in my lunchbox and is my 'work' gun. I take it out and clean it occasionally, then put it back in the lunch box. Rarely shoot it (Yeah, I know, I should practice with it if it's a carry weapon, but what are the odds I'm going to get attacked at my desk?). Others, it may be because of ammunition cost or availability. My .44 mag is fun to shoot, but kind of expensive to do so. So yeah, I have a few guns that have less than 200 rounds through them, not that they're for sale.....

I guess I've been lucky so far in my 30+ years of gun owner ship due to the fact that every gun I have bought I had an opportunity to test fire them (and have tested hundred) but have only bought 20 so far. I like to keep what I have and am sad for a long time after I sell one of "My Babies". I'm now down to 7 that have earned the right to stay in the safe because they ALL shoot good.....

Which 7?

I guess it depends on person to person. I only get to go shooting a couple times a year. I like to take as many guns out as possible when shooting and show each one some love. So each gun doesn't see that much use versus someone who takes out only a couple guns. I can't afford a lot of ammo either so it's usually a box or two that i put through a gun on each trip out.

when I had guns, not enough time and money for ammo to shoot them that much. Not having anywhere really local short of going off to the woods to shoot didn't help any. And some guns don't necessarily depreciate out the door like a car. and any buyer should do their own due diligence in buying used guns (or used anything) and inspect it carefully (ask me about that *ahem*)

There is a huge difference between buying a used firearm and a used car. A gun for example can be "used" with 1 round down it. (you going to count the test round fired at the manufacturer?) I've seen handguns with multiple hundreds of rounds through them that have been so well maintained that you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and a new one out of the box. I've seen handguns with -100 rounds that look like they were used as a hammer to build a house. In my opinion you lose absolutely nothing financially by walking a new firearm out the door in comparison to driving a new car off the lot.

If someone says "like new" in an add, I expect it to be free from holster marks, carbon build up, scratches dings fading, good barrel etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with people advertising as such and asking what they want for a specific handgun. No one is making you purchase the item from them.

A firearm also holds its value a lot more than a car. The retail markup for a car is mostly insane compared to what the same "used" car will sell for. There are far too many variables involved in assessing a used cars value compared to that of a firearm, thus its easier to label a firearm in generalized terms like used, , "new", like new etc.

I also have to wonder why people who won't go out and pay 600 dollars (plus BG, possible shipping, accessories etc) for a new version are complaining about someone charging 50 dollars less like its a slap in the face. I've paid more for items, or taken a hit on the trade just because I really wanted that item. Value is subjective.

I see people posting on other peoples posts all the time saying "I can get XX over at XXX new for just XX more"

No, YOU probably can't / won't , or you would have done it already. A person being cheap doesn't mean others should be overly generous all the time.

If I want something Ill buy it. If its too expensive for me I wont buy it, that doesn't mean the person asking shouldn't try to get the most bang for their buck.

I bought a used 9mm auto and when I got it home I was amazed at the amount of firing residue in it. (It was not advertised as LNIB) Rather than regard this as a negative I figured that only a gun that works would have so much crud in it. It has worked just fine and I would not hesitate to carry it for serious social work.

I have a rifle I paid $3300 for - an AR50

I never fired a single round through it. Probably never will. I would have to spend another $1K at least to get a scope setup on it, and then $3 to $7 per round.

At the time (over 5 years ago) I thought this was what I wanted. I had seen the anti-gunners rant about .50 BMG firearms as being dangerous and that they should ban them. Dangerous to whom? The government perhaps?

Haven't heard any of these rants lately.

But I have come to learn that I will probably not get a chance to really shoot this as I just won't have the time or place until I retire.

So it is up for sale. I have no idea how many rounds went through it before I bought it, but it is a "safe queen" right now and I could use the money for other things (like a flail mower to cut down brush, or other firearms that I would use).

But I don't ask full retail (significant discount at 15% off retail, plus a bipod adapter that cost me about $70 IIRC), even though to some people (like myself) the fact that it would be off the books adds value.

To each their own.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads